Chapter 13

Let's Meet Again

 

Morning of December 13, the young rising actor Yook Sungjae was official announced missing. When filming his stunts in Jindo for the new action drama currently aired, his safety wires came unattended and the actor fell several hundred feet into the icy ocean. Rescue teams are currently at the scene now, but are having little luck in finding the victim. The production team are in debates over the progress of the drama. With the drama reaching its highest rating on the latest episode, it will be a surprise on what kind of directions it will take from now on. We will keep an update for any new finding. In the meantime, if anyone has seen the actor, please reports to your nearest police station. On behave of everyone in our reporting studio, we prays for the safety of the young actor.

 

Joy legs became week and her heart sank. She spaced out at the news article on the screen of her computer until her vision became hazy. The feeling of anxiety covered her entire body and she became lost with emotions. She felt like she was trapped in a dream; a nightmare that will last a lifetime for her.

 

***

 

“Hey, do you think he will show up tomorrow?” Joy directed her question to the little feline but didn’t received a response from him. The cat was too engaged with his lunch to pay much attention to her.

 

More than a week has passed since the announcement of Sungjae gone missing. There was little news that follow afterward, and the filming of his drama has come to an abrupt halt. The production team ultimately made the decision to end the show early with just twelve episodes. The last episode was scheduled to be air today.

 

At first, the news of Sungjae’s disappearance had caused an uproar to the entire school. Fans were sending out support and spreading the news in hopes of finding the actor. However, within a week, some had already started a farewell events to say their prayers and goodbyes. After half a month, the rescue teams had ended their search and many came to the conclusion of his death.

 

And just like usual, everyday Joy would stopped by the rooftop during lunch to visit Mister Kitty. She didn’t participated in any of the searching or farewell events. She spends her daily life the same as before. Discussing about kpop idols with Wendy during lunch, and eating Minhyuk’s food as they walk the typical street to their homes.

 

Every now and then, the subject of Sungjae would pops up from her classmates. Besides that, Wendy and Minhyuk hadn’t mentioned it at all with Joy. She really appreciates their consideration for her, but sometimes she wonder if it would have been better if she talks about it with someone. She found herself on the roof everyday with Mister Kitty. Not just because she brings food for him every day, but it was also a time for her to be alone. It was the short time that she could think to herself without having to deal with the outside world. There, on the roof, was when she thinks about Sungjae the most.

 

“Tomorrow will be the final exams before winter break. Even though he said he will come to take it, I doubt he will actually shows up…..I even promised that I would go to the sea together with him during winter break and I don’t think I can keep that promise now. How long do you think he will make me wait this time? Should I even wait anymore?........”

 

“Meow….” The feline finally finished his food and is now resting on Joy’s lap.

 

“I don’t know if it’s because he never really shows up anyway, but I sort of became used to not seeing him around. Like, he’s not really gone, and would just randomly show up one day. I wonder if you would recognize him the next time he stops by...........You know, if I had known that I wouldn’t be able to see him for a while, I would have said everything that I wanted to say last time. I should have hugged him more, so that I wouldn’t have any regrets like now. I even said some mean things to him without thinking because I thought there will be a tomorrow for me to apologize…..”

 

Seeing the girl changed in mood, the cat got up from her lap and caressed his head onto her knee. Joy smiled at the cat’s attempt in comforting her and watched the afternoon clouds passes by.

 

When school was over, Joy and Minhyuk said their goodbyes to Wendy and existed the building. When they got outside, Joy noticed a familiar vehicle waiting at the parking lot. It is the vehicle that used to indicates if Sungjae was at school or not. The black van that his manager used to drive him around. Just a month ago, group of students would gathered around the van whenever it was at school. Now, the vehicle could finally bended in with all the other cars in the school parking lot.

 

Standing outside the van was a man in his mid-thirty which Joy assumed is Sungjae’s manager. He searched around the field and came forward when he saw the two. The man look tired compared to the last time Joy had met him. There was noticeable sign of stress on the man facial figures. He seem like he could break down any moments from exhaustion.

 

“Hello, I am Sungjae’s manager. Are you Miss Joy?” The man directed his question at Joy.

 

“Yes, I am.” Joy gave the man a small bow and turned her attention to Minhyuk. “Sunbae, you can go on ahead without me? I’ll catch up with you in a bit.”

 

“No, I’ll wait for you.” Minhyuk also bowed to the man then distanced himself from hearing range. He walked several meters away from the two then put on his earphones as he waited for Joy.

 

Joy turned back to the man. “How can I help you Sir?”

 

“I reckon you already heard the news?”

 

“Yes….”

 

“Sungjae told me a lot about you. I said he meet a really good person at school and that life has been fun recently. When I first told him that our boss has assigned him to attend school, he wasn’t too happy about it.”

 

“…Oh, I see……..”

 

“Actually, I knew Sungjae for several years now. He used to be an open person. He was frank about his opinions and was not afraid to say what’s on his mind. That often got him into more troubles than he should. His father even kicked him out of the house because Sungjae refused to take over the family business. When I first met him, I thought this kid was so carefree and didn’t have any worries in the world. But as I watched him grew over the years, he seem to developed a lot of doubts. He wasn’t as happy as he used to be, and would kept a lot of things to himself.”

 

“Odd. That doesn’t seem like him at all. It doesn’t suits him very much.”

 

“Right? I used to wonder where did that carefree kid went. Recently, I was able to see that side of him again. He would complained like a kid when I drove him to work and said he wants to go back to school. His smile was a lot more natural, and he even said he wants to become a better person…………..The last episode of his drama will be air today. I think he would be really happy if you see it.”

 

“Okay. Thank you for letting me know…….Sungjae told me that he didn’t regret becoming a celebrity. He said he was fortunate to meet a great hyung that looked after him for so many years.”

 

“…That kid……When our boss was giving him a hard time, I should have stood up for him.” He gave Joy one last teary smile. “Sungjae…He was glad that he met you.”

 

The manager said his farewell to Joy and the two went their separate ways. During the walked home, Joy and Minhyuk had their normal everyday conversation, with Joy munching away on the sandwich Minhyuk had given her.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, don’t stress out too much on the exams tomorrow. If you need anything, let me know. I’ll be here for you.”

 

“I know sunbae. Thanks.”

 

They waved goodbyes to each other and parted ways into their home. Before Joy went inside, she went to the mailbox and took out the delivered mails. She placed the mails onto the kitchen counter while carrying a letter addressed to her into her room.

 

The letter was sent from the teen writing board committee and inside contains the result of the contest. Joy didn’t wanted to bother with it and tossed it on top of her dresser. She the television as she rested on the bed. The monitor displayed an advertisement about facial products with their endorser, the famous idol and actress Bae Suzy.

 

Joy idled around as she waited for the last episode of Sungjae’s drama to begin. After ten minutes or so, the finale finally started. The episode was lackluster and seem too hasty. Sungjae didn’t appeared on the episode. They concluded that his character went somewhere to continue his pursuits for revenge against the organization that betrayed him and caused the death of the love of his life.

 

Fifty minutes later, Joy stretched and rolled around on her bed. Suddenly, a familiar voice come on the screen and catches her attention.

 

In front of the monitor was Sungjae smiling widely at the camera with a black projector behind him. At the bottom on the screen are subtitles that read, “A special interview with Yook Sungjae to all the beloved viewers; filmed on 12/06/2012.”

 

“Hello, this is actor Yook Sungjae. It is a pleasure for me to finally be able to greet everyone.” Sungjae took a bow and happily addresses the audience.

 

“As promise for surpassing 20 percent in viewership rating, I would like to give a big thanks to all the viewers who have been enjoying the drama so far. And to all my fans whom continues to show me supports even in this harsh weather. Thank you all very much.” Sungjae bowed one more time.

 

“These past few months I have learned a lot and I think I grown better as a person. I hope all my fans continue to support me, as well as stay healthy for the New Year.”

 

The bottom of the screen once again displayed texts that read, “Do you have any plans after you finished filming for the drama?”

 

“Yes, I want to go back to school and become a full-time student. I used to not think much about school, and thought that I would just continue my work as an actor anyway. When I looked back, I don’t really have much memories as a teenager. But recently, it’s not like that anymore. The road to school isn’t as dreadful as it used to be. It has become quite fun and I anticipate for the next day to come. Now, there’s someone waiting for me at school every day. I want to go back and see them. I don’t want to keep them waiting for me anymore…….....

 

.…Actually, I prepared a song and would like to dedicate it to someone special to me. The lyrics of the song are things I been wanting to say for a while now but couldn’t bring myself to say it. Therefore, I will sing it instead. Please enjoy.”

 

 A soft melody came on and Joy instantly knew the title of the song.    

 

            ~Suddenly, the sound of the morning wakes me up

            ~You’ve feel asleep in my arms

            ~I love you

            ~You’re always beside me when I feel tired and hard

            ~You tenderly hug me

            ~I love you

            ~Forever, we will never have the pain of separation (or a sad goodbye)

            ~Sometimes, we may cry because of the deep sorrow but…

            ~Together we can share all the pure dreams

            ~Until the blue sky keeps us apart

            ~I love you

 

When the song ended, the subtitles appeared, “Do you have anything else you would like to say to the viewers?”

 

“Yes……To my dear fan, let’s meet again.”

 

Sungjae’s wide smile faded from the screen. Joy sat on the edge of her bed as tears became to swell up. Before she knew it, teardrops was falling down from the side of her cheeks and landing on her pillow. She felt an agonizing pain inside and wanted to scream at the top of her lung. The realization that she would never be able to see his wide smile again hits her. She knew that the way she appears in his eyes could never be the same with another person. After holding it in for the past weeks, she finally let her emotions go.

 

“Idiot...Is this your idea for making my cry? If I had told you that I look terrible when I do, would you not have leave?...........

 

…….Who’s going to tell me I’m pretty now?.........”

 

 

 

The next day, Sungjae didn’t came.

 


 

I Love You covered by Yook Sungjae.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ygcizbt_I

Sorry for the lusterless chapter. I actually am planning on writing a sequel for this story, but don’t really know when I will get that done.