Another World

Like Magic

Another World


          "Don't tell me you slept here," Baekhyun raised an eyebrow as he stared at Suzy asleep, her face buried in the library books. There were papers strewn all over her desk but there didn't seem to be any work done. Baekhyun expected this - Suzy slept more than she actually worked. She was a huge procrastinator and always pushed everything back till the last day. 

"What was I supposed to do," she croaked. "I had to finish the paper."

      Baekhyun sighed and waved his hands over the desk, watching as the pile of books floated in the air and made its way back to the high shelves on the bookshelf. He flicked his fingers and lifted Suzy's head as her papers flew itself into order, compiling into a neat pile. He looked around and saw other students - procrastinators who also seemed to be in the same situation as her. 

"That's why I told you to write your paper instead of snooping out through the portal each night."

"Shut up Byun Baekhyun," she rolled her eyes and stood up, letting out a huge stretch. Although Baekhyun was her best friend, sometimes she couldn't believe how unlike they were. 

     Baekhyun was the outstanding student in the grade who would turn in his papers in advance, study for exams weeks in advance, take advanced classes that would probably only make his life more miserable. He had never lost first place before for the past six years at this magic school, and he wasn't planning on losing the title anytime soon. On the other hand, Suzy was often what you would call a sheer delinquent. She was usually never at all six of her classes and even if she was - she was never fully awake in any of them. It didn't matter to her that all her tests and papers were raining Fs, because she wasn't planning on staying in this world any longer.

"Don't tell me you're going again tonight," Baekhyun sighed as the two walked out of the library and grabbed their broomsticks neatly parked against the broomstick rack. Usually broomsticks were forbidden within school bounds but seniors received an exemption of that rule - irresponsible activity or control would immediately deprieve them of the exemption however.

"I have to," she said like it was an obvious thing. "I'm still looking for an agency."

"What's with you and this actress thing you're going on about?" Baekhyun sighed. Suzy had been going on about wanting to live in the world of muggles and taking on the occupation of an Actress, which was apparently reading situations off a script and acting them out infront of a large camera that would record her. Baekhyun knew there were so many nonsensical things in the world of muggles, but he never thought his friend would be a part of it. 

Ever since Suzy had been snooping out into the muggle world every night, she had been bringing back queer items such as a Smartphone, a television, a laptop, and strange items that seemed to show everything of the muggle world. 

      Baekhyun was not content about this; ever since their first year at thier magic academy every single student was clearly warned and restricted from entering the muggle world by any means, because large danger lurked there. But Baekhyun knew these rules were pointless because regardless of these strict rules, many students escaped through the portal that led them into the other world.

There were stories of many young wizards in the past who have never returned, but that remained a myth. 

"Apparently I have to find an agency first that will train me for the job," Suzy went on excitedly. "I've been looking for one the past few weeks but I'm skeptical of most of them."

"Bae Suzy," Baekhyun stopped and looked into her eyes. "Don't you know we can't be caught by the muggles? I know you Bae Suzy well enough to know that you would go riding your broomstick for the entire muggle world to see, and soon enough you'll open up the portal for anyone to come back and fro. What are you going to do when our world gets discovered?"

"Relax," Suzy hit his shoulder. "I use my legs during the day. Only during the night I take a fresh drive on my lil' baby." 

     The two got onto their broomsticks and flew into the sky, flying over their school buildings. Suzy let go of her broomstick and spread her arms out, embracing the fresh morning air that wrapped around her body. Baekhyun flew under her, getting ready to catch her incase she lost balance and fell. Sometimes he found it tiring to always watch out for Suzy, but he had no choice.

 

The two descended to the floor and parked their broomsticks on the racks, quietly rushing into the main hall. 

The headmaster had summoned the entire school for what seemed like an important announcement, as his facial expression read. The two ducked their head and took a seat next to Do Kyungsoo, the kid who never lost the seeker position in quidditch for the past six years. He was never doubtly, the most popular guy in school and was often swooned as a prince for his charming looks, athletic ability, and his brains. 

But the past few weeks consumed his eyes with dark circles that ruined his baby-like complexion.

"What's up with you?" Baekhyun asked as he took a seat opposite Kyungsoo who was half asleep. 

"Remember this strange girl I told you about?" he croaked.

"That one that keeps on appearing in your dreams?" Suzy asked as she took a bite of the apple that was on the table. "What was her name again, Lee Jieun or something right?"

Kyungsoo nodded miserably. "She's been haunting me in my dream for the past.. forever." 

"You have fangirls even in your sleep?" Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. "Suzy, why don't you give him one of those.. those pills that you got from the muggle world that helps you fall asleep or something?"

"Sleeping pills? No way," she gasped. "I've been saving those for special occassions."

The room grew quiet as the headmaster stood on the podium and cleared his throat. The entire school had their eyes fixed on him as his wrinkes added to his serious expression.

"Everyone is well aware that the world of muggles is clearly prohibited, especially for students." He said clearly as he got off the podium and slowly walked down the corridor, eyeing each student. "There have been reports of students under illegal activity as such of Portal making. I am assured that first graders have been told that the world elsewhere is a dangerous place that could threaten the existance of this world."

He stopped and took a turn, walking down the seniors' table.

"Upperclassmens have been clearly warned for the past six years about prohibition into the world." He eyed Suzy for a few seconds and continued walking down.  "Any student on this campus caught from suspicious or illegal activity will immediately be taken into audit and investigation." He returned to his spot on the podium. 

"Remember," he paused. "The future of our world depends on you young wizards and witches."

He dismissed the announcement and disappeared through the back door as if something was summoning him.

Baekhyun glared at Suzy with a sarcastic look. She laughed as she finished her apple and stared at Kyungsoo who was on the verge of passing out. 

"Are you sure you can go to class?" Suzy asked. "You should just go to the nurse and take the day off."

"I can't do that," he grumbled. "Coach said I can't be on the quidditch team if my grades aren't above par. Plus, I think I'm slowly failing potions class." He sighed and crashed his head on the table.

"Who told you to take advanced potions?" Suzy mocked sarcastically and grabbed another apple. Baekhyun punched her on the arm and looked at Kyungsoo sympathetically. Kyungsoo had been falling asleep during potions for the past few weeks and his test papers were raining Bs and Cs instead of the perfect As that he used to get back. 

"Why don't you get that dream fixed?" Baekhyun suggested. "Doesn't seem like that girl's going to disappear anytime soon."

"I feel something about this dream though," Kyungsoo raised his head. "This girl in my dreams keeps on intruding me during my quidditch match and tries to pull me through the portal. It's almost as if she's from.. the other world you know..?"

"Man you've got to get that treated."

"What's more," he hesitated. "She keeps on telling me we'll see each other soon.."

     Suzy and Baekhyun exchanged looks then back at Kyungsoo who was literally groaning as he softly banged his head against the table. Being seeker was a big deal for Kyungsoo, because recruiting week for the national quidditch team was coming up soon and Kyungsoo wanted to, had to get on the team. The team consisted of the best players from all over the magic world.

Kyungsoo was so close to getting recruited every year but missed out on the final opportunity; if he didn't make it this year his quidditch life was pretty much over. There was so much stress on Kyungsoo because everyone expected him to be the best and he wasn't sure if he could keep up to everybody's expectations.

"Sounds like PTSD," Suzy murmured under her breath. It made sense after all, because Kyungsoo started getting these dreams after he accidently hit a girl during his quidditch game and was too slow to catch her from her death. The school had deemed him innocent, but the nightmares have haunted him since.

 

     Suzy abruptly rose from her seat and grabbed her broomstick, rushing across the hallway and flying out the window. Baekhyun sighed and grabbed his broomstick, following right after. He couldn't trust her anymore, especially after the last time she got herself caught in a tree from losing control of her broomstick and Baekhyun had to untangle her from the branches.

"Where are you going?! We have class you know," Baekhyun yelled across the sky.

"Why are you still following me?"

"You think I don't know what mess I have to get you out from?"

"What do you mean-" Suzy was cut off as she almost crashed into a brick wall but smoothly curved by Baekhyun's hands holding onto the tail of her broomstick. Baekhyun hissed as he looked at his hand that was bleeding then looked back at Suzy who didn't even seem to realize that he just hurt himself trying to save her life. But he was used to this.

Baekhyun watched as Suzy descended infront of the girls' dorm and rushed inside. Baekhyun sighed and watched from the window as she slipped out a backpack from under her bed and started shoving a bunch of things she got from the muggle world inside it.

"Don't tell me you're going back," Baekhyun said miserably. "Are you out of your mind? Even after the headmaster's warning you're still going to throw yourself into the portal?"

"Relax Baekhyun," she waved him off. "I've done this for the past few months. It's just a simple trip to help Kyungsoo get rid of his dreams."

"And exactly how are you planning on doing that?"

"In the muggle world, they have this place called a pharmacy. In that place, they have medication and potions for almost every illness and diagnosis that you could ever suffer from. I'm sure they'll have one for PTSD. I just have to leave a little earlier today to fit in time to search for an agency as well as getting those PTSD medication."

Suzy zipped up her bag and hung it loose on her right shoulder, flying out through the window. 

"Don't tell me you're going now." Baekhyun cringed. 

"I'm not going in broad daylight you stupid," she mocked. "Plus the portal opens five times a day. I just have to get there a few hours earlier than I usually go."

 

     Baekhyun sighed as he followed Suzy who flew out of the school bounds and into a dark thicket. The temperature dropped immensely as they flew lower into the canopy level. Baekhyun could hear faint music and zapping in the distance but he wasn't sure if he was hearing things or if this thicket was enchanted of some weird spell.

"Are you sure this place is safe?"

"Why're you still following me? Jeez," Suzy grunted as she flew further in. 

"I'm not letting you escape this time." Baekhyun said firmly as he followed Suzy. Suzy flew in further until she saw dim lights at the end of a thicket that led to a big pavilion that was decorated with neon lights. Suzy tucked her broomstick into the side of her school uniform and took a breath, turning back at Baekhyun who was too busy looking around this place. 

"You're really going to follow me?" she eyed him sarcastically.

     He nodded and watched as Suzy shrugged and walked toward the pavilion. He watched as she rolled up her sleevs and walked up the small steps and bent down, touching around the pavilion floor as if she was looking for something. She smiled as she crouched down and grunted, pulling up the floor. After a few attempts, a small piece of the floor flipped itself open like a floor door.

She threw her broomstick down the door and grabbed the ladder that protruded from the door, slowly climbing down. 

"Aren't you coming?" she stopped and asked Baekhyun who stood there completely frozen. 

"What exactly do you do outside of school Suzy?" he said disbelievingly as he stared at the floor door.

"Stop saying nonsense and just come down. Make sure you shut the door when you come down." She said nonchalantly and climbed down the door. Baekhyun looked around and shuddered at the dark atmosphere around the pavilion. The large thickets were covering the sky and brought darkness in the surrounding. He cleared his throat and slowly walked across the pavilion, looking down at the floor door that was pitch dark. 

"Suzy?" he yelled but his voice only bounced back to him. 

He was starting to get scared, but it wasn't like there was a way out.

     He slowly climbed down the floor door and shut the lid above him, relying on the ladder in the pitch darkness. Baekhyun panicked as he didn't feel any more set of ladder legs. He could feel the empty space below him but couldn't bare letting go. His fear of heights didn't really help the problem, especially when he was dropping himself into the unknown darkness.

"Suzy," he yelled, but his voice only echoed back to him. "Well here goes nothing." He closed his eyes and let go of the ladder, holding onto his broomstick for dear life as he fell into the darkness. 

     With a soft thud, Baekhyun could feel a bunch of hay covering his body. He blinked twice and got off the haystack, looking around at the strange place. Infront of him was a large treehouse that floated in midair with its ominous atmosphere still present. Baekhyun could see a few people flying around the treehouse, parking their broomsticks on the racks and entering the large treehouse that seemed to be brightly lit inside. 

"Get up," Suzy appeared out of nowhere. "You don't want other people to fall on you."

'What is this place?" Baekhyun asked as he stood up and wiped the hay off his uniform. He got on his broomstick and slowly followed Suzy who flew over to the treehouse in the air. Baekhyun had studied about many mysterious places all around the magic world but it had never occured to him that there was a whole new world beyond textbooks. 

"It's the broker's house," she said nonchalantly. 

"Broker?"

"To put it simply, he summons portals for us." 

     The two landed on the front porch and parked their broomsticks against the rack, watching as the rack lit up dimly. Baekhyun looked around the ominous place that was filled with the deadly things he had only read through the textbooks. On the side were parsimonious roses that he had read about ecology class; flowers that continued to twist each others roots until it died and then regenerated itself back to life.

Baekhyun followed Suzy inside the house and watched as she walked up to the old man in the living room and gave him a large hug.

"You're here early." The old man said with his deep voice.

"Yeah," she nodded. "There's some business I have to finish up."

The old man's eyes travelled past Suzy to Baekhyun. "Brought a friend?"

"Just happened so," Suzy shrugged and gestured for Baekhyun to follow her. Suzy entered the kitchen and opened a large box with two doors on either side. The box lit up and let out an icy wind as it lit up and presented itself with a bunch of food. Suzy took a juice bottle from the side door and tossed it to Baekhyun, taking another for herself.

"What is that?" Baekhyun asked as he followed Suzy to the dining table, his eyes still fixed on the strange box.

"It's called a fridge," she laughed at him. "It's how they store food in the muggle world so that it doesn't spoil."

Baekhyun looked around the house and recognized a few students from school, the ones who he expected.

'There aren't alot of students here at this time," Suzy pointed out. "They all come after curfew."

Baekhyun nodded and pushed up his spectacles. He watched as everone rushed outside and grabbed their broomsticks, following the old man who flew outside with a black cloak that covered his entirety.

"Come on," Suzy grabbed his wrist and rushed outside, grabbing her broomstick as she followed after the old man.

"Where are we going?" Baekhyun yelled as they gathered infront of the back forest. Baekhyun watched as the old man balanced himself on the broomstick and closed his eyes, murmuring a bunch of spells under his breath. Everyone backed away as a large gush of wind followed a large lightening that bolted into the ground.

     Baekhyun watched in awe as a small dust of light appeared in midair, slowly spinning as it grew bigger and turned into a large wormhole - the theoretical time passage that the textbooks have deemed impossible. Baekhyun watched as the portal grew bigger and bigger, followed by the sudden drop of rain. He watched as the wormhole in the raindrops like a vacuum, leaving no time for it to escape.

He watched as everyone flew into the wormhole one by one, disappearing as they travelled through this time passage.

Baekhyun grabbed Suzy's uniform as she was about to fly into the wormhole, pulling her back. These strange people were traveling through a passage that wasn't even practically possible - he knew this had to be a hoax.

"What are you doing?! Let go!" Suzy screamed as she tried to slap his hands off.

"You can't go through that!"

"BYUN BAEKHYUN! THE PORTAL IS CLOSING SOON!" Suzy screamed as she tried to shake off Baekhyun who held onto her even tighter.

"The portal is getting smaller!" The old man shouted, trying to push Baekhyun into the wormhole.

Just as the wormhole was about to close, the old man shoved the two into the hole and the warmhole zapped close with a small lightening.

 

Baekhyun felt the entire space close within his body as he felt himself being scrunched into a time loop. He could see Suzy from afar but didn't have any strength to catch up to her.

"Hold on Baekhyun!" He heard her voice as the entire world flickered black.

     Baekhyun hyperventilated as he held onto his broomstick for dear life, looking down at the scenery below him. He had zapped into this new space that had a new scent. Around him surrounded the night sky. Below him were little lights that were moving along the ground, and all around him were tall large buildings that were lingering with lights. A canopy of luminous stars materialized amongst the ocean of blackness. Some were dull, merely flickering into existance every now and then, but there was an adequate amount to shine the moonless night. He looked down and saw the small lights moving back and fro and assumed they were cars - the things that Suzy had told him about before.

 He gulped at this unfamilar environment and looked around, desperately searching for Suzy.

With a loud boom, Suzy flickered out of the air crack and flipped all the way over to the end, barely grabbing hold of herself.

"Suzy-"

"Baekhyun there's something wrong with my broomstick-" Suzy shrieked as she lost control of her broomstick that was flying everywhere. Baekhyun followed her as she flew lower into the city, almost crashing into the tall buildings and trees.

Suzy's scream filled the space as her broomstick danced crazily.

"DO SOMETHING!" Suzy shrilled.

Baekhyun bit his lips and tried almost every spell he knew, but the broomstick blocked and reversed all of the spells that he cast on the broomstick. 

"BYUN BAEKHYUN YOU FREAK!" With a final scream, Suzy crashed into the tree and Baekhyun followed right after, crashing right into her as they fell to the floor. Baekhyun waved his hands across the floor and created a protective layer that dropped them as soon as they felt gravity. 

"I told you we should have brought the ones with antispells on them-" Suzy grumbled as she looked at her broomstick that was half torn apart.

"You should be glad I even followed you out here-"

 

The two froze as a soft voice called for them.

The girl began laughing as she slapped herself, trying to get closer to the two. 

     Before Baekhyun could say another word, Suzy had already flown off into the sky. Baekhyun couldn't figure out where his spectacles were, because without his spectacles he couldn't see a thing. He touched around the floor frantically trying to look for them but gave up and touched around for his broomstick when he felt the presense of the girl getting closer.

"Don't come any closer-" Baekhyun hissed at the blurred figure.

"I.. you dropped this." The girl said as she passed him his spectacles. He gulped and snatched it off her hands, flying into the sky as far away from the girl as possible. 

They were not supposed to be seen in their wizard form no matter what. 

 

     Baekhyun gulped as he followed Suzy high up in the air and watched as she tried to open up the portal. "Why isn't this working?" Suzy panicked as she tried a multiple times. Nothing appeared in the air as the two began to panic. 

"Why isn't the portal opening Suzy?" Baekhyun asked, his eyes round.

"I don't know," she whispered. 

"You've been doing this for so long you must know something!" Baekhyun screamed. 

"Usually there are two reasons why the portal won't open," she paused. "Either if our world of wizardry and witchcraft has been found, or if a trace of us is left somewhere in this world."

The two thought carefully, looking around themselves for any lost items.

"I have everything-"

"Me too-" Baekhyun said as he looked around, pausing as he tapped around his chest.

 

"My nametag." He gasped.

"You've got to get that back Baekhyun," Suzy gasped. "If you leave any trace of your identity as a wizard in this world, you can never ever go back."

Baekhyun bit his lips.

 

This was even a bigger danger than getting a F on his paper.

 

 


Author's Note:

Hi thanks for reading this story. I just want to say a few things about referencing. Yes as you noticed I have used terms from the book Harry Potter like 'quidditch' and 'muggle'. I tried really, to come up with my own original name but it just sounded too corny and I didn't want to have to go into a whole detail explaing the whole thing. So please no misunderstandings.

Thanks for reading~