Puzzle: Piece 1

Like Magic

Puzzle: Piece 1


     Jieun could feel her heartbeat in her head as she ran towards the hospital.

     Apparently Jieun's number was placed as Kyungsoo's guardian and the hospital called her to tell her that Kyungsoo got in a big car crash with a truck while crossing the road. She didn't understand how that was possible, seeing that they were always flying on their brooms but that wasn't the important part.

The hospital came into sight and she ran into the revolving door, Jisoo following right after her. 

"Slow down!" Jisoo called from behind as Jieun ran into the emergency room and opened every curtain, desperately searching for Kyungsoo.

     Jisoo sighed and looked around the emergency room and saw Kyungsoo lying in one of the beds, staring at Jieun who was searching for him like the world had ended. Jisoo walked over to Jieun and grabbed her shoulders, walking her to Kyungsoo's bed. 

Jieun panted hard as she stared at Kyungsoo in extreme concern.

"Are you okay?" she asked, her voice out of breath. 

    She leaned towards Kyungsoo and saw that he had a broken arm and a leg, with a few plasters on his face. She glanced at Suzy and Baekhyun who were safe but had many scratches and scars on their hands and faces. 

"Are... you okay Jieun?" Baekhyun asked, staring at the sweat rolling down her face.

     Jisoo sighed and wiped the sweat off Jieun's forehead with a napkin, aiming it in the bin. Jieun nodded awkwardly and sat on the edge of the bed, examining Kyungsoo in sadness. 

"What happened?" Jieun asked, slightly confused as she stared at his broken leg. "The hospital said it was a big accident."

"Well..." Suzy started.

 

 -Few Hours Earlier-

     Suzy, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo flew on their broomsticks with their invisibility mode on. 

Technically they weren't really allowed to use the invisibility mode anywhere outside of school, but this was a different matter. 

     The rain had stopped a little and they decided that before heading to the hotel, this was a good time for them to fly around this place and examine everything that they had to. Suzy had the lead because she had flown over this district a few times in the past, but it was the first time she had flown in broad daylight. 

"We should fly higher up," Kyungsoo shouted in the sky. "Everything is so tall here."

"It's ok," Suzy laughed. "I've done this multiple times and you'll be fine."

"I'm not worried about me," Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "I'm worried about him and you."

Just then, a loud thunder clapped in the sky and it startled all three of them as they jumped in their seats. The raindrops started to drop one by one until they became heavier and heavier, making it hard to fly in the weather.

     Kyungsoo was fine because he had years of countless quidditch practice flying in all sorts of rain conditions, but for Suzy and Baekhyun it was their first time flying in such conditions. 

     In the pouring rain, it was important to bend your posture down to 60 degrees and firm your grip on the edge of your broomstick and twist your legs toward the tail to prevent slipping off. In this position, they had to fly at full speed because the heavy pressure of the rain would weigh down the tail of the broomstick and yank them down.

Plus, Kyungsoo's broomstick was specially custom-made for advanced Quidditch matches.

There was no time to explain this to either Suzy or Baekhyun. 

Kyungsoo glanced at the two and saw both of them unstable on their broomsticks as the pouring rain hit them down. 

     "Kyungsoo!" Suzy screamed as she lost grip on her broomstick and fell off, dangling off the broomsticks with her legs tightly crossed on the stick. Kyungsoo shot down to where Suzy was and held tight Suzy's broomstick with his arm and pulled her back on with his legs. The pouring rain continued to hit Suzy down as she flipped off her broom again, this time her holding on with only one hand. 

"I can't hold on any longer!" Suzy said as the water slipped her hands off and she started falling to the ground.

Kyungsoo sped down to her and scooped her up on his broomstick seconds before she hit the floor and ascended back up into the sky. 

The two watched as Suzy's broomstick became visible again, flying in mid-air. 

"Accio," Kyungsoo cast a spell and Suzy's broomstick followed Suzy, wobbling in the rain. 

"Baekhyun, are you alright?!" Kyungsoo yelled, looking around. 

Suddenly, a loud whish came from the side as a figure fell right down below him, following a broomstick. 

     "," Kyungsoo cursed as he sped down to the surface again to catch Baekhyun from falling on the floor. Seconds before Baekhyun hit the floor Kyungsoo grabbed him by the arm and flung him on his broom, losing control of his broomstick as the three of them flew out of place on surface-level. Suzy screamed as she held tightly onto Kyungsoo who was trying to control the broomstick with Baekhyun in his arms. 

Kyungsoo threw Baekhyun behind him and the two of them seated behind Kyungsoo, gulped as Kyungsoo tried to grab control of his broomstick. 

     "KYUNGSOO!" Baekhyun screamed as they flew into a crossing and the front part of the broomstick where Kyungsoo was sitting crashed into a large truck and cracked the side window, flinging Kyungsoo onto the pavement. 

Kyungsoo rolled across the floor abruptly before hitting a metal fence.

Suzy and Baekhyun fell off the broomstick lightly and their invisibility mode turned off as everyone gathered around them in shock.

"I... I swear I didn't see them!" the driver shouted as he bit his lips in annoyance at the cracked window and at the boy who appeared out of thin air. Suzy and Baekhyun ran over to Kyungsoo who was lying on the pavement, heavy rain pouring on him. 

He was groaning in pain as blood leaked down his head.

"Oh my god," Suzy winced in horror as she tried to carry Kyungsoo up.

"IT HURTS!" Kyungsoo hissed under his breath. "I think I broke my leg and arm. I felt the exact same pain when I fell off my broom during the summer practices during my first year."

"We have to go to the Hospital Wing," Baekhyun blurted. 

"There is no hospital wing here," Suzy sighed and asked someone in the audience to call the ambulance. 

 

--

     "Oh my gosh," Jieun said in shock. 

"I'm fine really," Kyungsoo said as he dodged Jieun's hands. "How did you even know I was here?"

"I got a phone call from the hospital," Jieun said. "Said you put me as a guardian."

"What?" Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow.

"I did," Baekhyun said. "I found a sticker on the umbrella that you gave us. It had your name and phone number on it and they demanded some contact information so I had no choice."

Kyungsoo gave Baekhyun an annoyed look and sighed. 

"No no, good," Jieun said as she nodded fervently. 

     "There they are!" A loud voice came from the entrance of the emergency room as an old man rushed towards them, his shoulders and hair lightly drenched in rain. He seemed to have hurt his leg because he limped all the way towards Kyungsoo's bed and sighed angrily.

Suzy and Baekhyun recognized the man and gulped nervously. 

It was the owner of the truck that Kyungsoo crashed into and destroyed the door of. 

The man examined Kyungsoo's broken limbs and sighed, pointing at them as two police officers followed after him. 

"They're the ones that destroyed my truck!" the old man jumped angrily as the police officers calmed him down and stepped in front. 

"We're here for an accident report," the police officer said as he took out a memo pad and pen. "Contact information please?"

"Uh," Kyungsoo stuttered, unable to say anything.

"Name?"

"D...Do Kyungsoo," he said in a frail voice.  

     "Please fill this out," the police officer gave Kyungsoo an information sheet and stepped aside with the old man whose face was bloated red from the anger of his broken truck door. 

Kyungsoo stared at the paper blankly and saw all the empty compartments that he had to fill in.

"Phone number...? Home address..?" Baekhyun read from the side. 

"Have you found a place to stay?" Jieun asked, concerned. 

"Yes," "No," Kyungsoo and Baekhyun said at the same time. 

"Yes we have a place," Kyungsoo spoke fast, shutting Baekhyun up. 

Jieun watched as Kyungsoo filled out the form secretly and handed it to the police officer who looked at it with a frown. 

"These parts are mandatory," the police officer handed the form back and waited for Kyungsoo to fill it out.

     Kyungsoo bit his lips and tried to stall time as he glanced at Suzy and Baekhyun who were also lost. Jieun peeked over at the form and saw that the phone number and address box was empty and Kyungsoo was drawing invisible lines over the box with his pen.

     "Here," Jieun shook her head and took the form from Kyungsoo, filling in the empty boxes. Kyungsoo watched as he tried to snatch the form off Jieun but stopped by Baekhyun and Suzy's hands.

"Here officer," Jieun handed the form to the police. 

"Due to the patient's critical status, we'll be notifying you of the accident claims through this contact information." 

Jieun and Kyungsoo watched as the police officer walked away with the angry man beside him. 

"Come back to my house," Jieun said.

"What," Jisoo blurted, shocked. "You are not doing that." 

"Like it's your house?" Jieun blew Jisoo off and fixed her eyes on Kyungsoo. 

"It's really fine," Kyungsoo refused and pushed his spectacles up. 

"But you have nowhere to stay," Jieun said. "It's not safe, especially in this weather. All your contact information is written as my address and my number anyway. The only way to deal with the accident claim is to come." 

Kyungsoo sighed. 

"What happens now, that Kyungsoo turned in the form?" Suzy asked, worried. 

"Well," Jieun shrugged. "Based on what I read from the files I think the old man filed an accident report because he's not covered by insurance. In that case, you'd have to pay for his damages out of your pocket and the rest would come with whether he sues you or not for any other extra damages."

The three stared at Jieun, not understanding a single word she said.

"Ok simply, you have to pay for his door you broke." 

"And how much is this door?" Kyungsoo asked.

"I... I'm not really sure but cracked window and destroyed door... Last time I saw an accident like that I think the person had to pay around $3000."

Kyungsoo, Suzy, and Baekhyun dropped their jaws at the big price.

"We're going to pay for the damages and then we're leaving," Kyungsoo said as he tried to get up from the bed, groaning in pain.

"You are not flying with a broken arm and leg," Baekhyun said in ridicule.

"I can fly just fine," Kyungsoo said as he forced himself up and fell on the floor. 

     "Kyungsoo!" Jieun jumped and supported him up. Jieun was surprised at the hardness of his muscle that was on his arm; she didn't see any of that firmness because of his big school uniform.

"You're not going anywhere until your arm and leg get better." Suzy shook her head. 

"Are you seriously going to take them back in?" Jisoo asked in disbelief. 

"Yes," she hissed and helped Kyungsoo get discharged.

---

 

     Jieun closed her umbrella and opened the door, letting Kyungsoo, Suzy, and Baekhyun enter.

It seemed as nobody was home because all of the lights were off.

     Her sister was always coming home late from working late and her Dad always went on spontaneous business trips so nobody was really home except for Jieun most of the time. Jieun walked over to the kitchen and saw a post-it that said her father was going on another two-month-long business trip to Haiti. Her Dad's company had recently finished preparations for the opening of a new hotel in Haiti and so her father spent most of his time there. 

"What's wrong?" Baekhyun asked and Jieun hid the post-it, scrunching it inside her fist.

"Nothing," she smiled and tossed the post-it in the trash can. 

     "You guys can continue using the rooftop room," Jieun said. "I'll turn the heater on in that room. There's a bathroom right outside the room so you guys can shower and get yourselves warm. You guys didn't eat anything right? I'll go prepare something so you guys can take a shower. Oh you guys also need towels right? It's right there in the bottom cabinet-"

"Jieun," Jisoo interrupted. "I'll show them."

Jieun cleared and nodded awkwardly as the two boys followed Jisoo into the rooftop room.

Jieun led Suzy to her bathroom and sat on her bed. 

"Is this a dream?" Jieun pinched her cheeks and hissed at the pain, laughing at herself. 

     Truthfully, it felt as someone punched a hole in Jieun's heart when they left. They were the wizards that Jieun had dreamed of her entire life and on top of this, the boy of her dreams was a part of them. Her heart palpitated and although she shouldn't be happy, she was so glad that they got to stay beside her. 

"Are you that happy?" Jisoo said in annoyance as he entered her room and sat on the chair. 

"Of course I am," she exclaimed. "It's a dream come true."

"Why do you like Kyungsoo so much?" Jisoo asked sarcastically. 

"You'll never know," she said dreamily. 

"It seems like he hates you," Jisoo snorted as he took his socks off and rolled them into a ball, aiming it into his bag in the living room. 

"He doesn't," Jieun's voice grew smaller. "Probably..."

"I'll give it to you though," he said. "The person in your dreams actually came to you." 

"I wonder," she said as she sat upright. "If he's been having the same dreams as me."

"Same dreams?"

"I've been having these nightmares. I'm riding behind Kyungsoo on his broomstick and we are flying over the ocean. It doesn't look like we're in Korea though, it looks like some foreign city, like London or something. We're talking on the broomstick and I tell him about this encounter I had with another wizard. I remember the conversation clearly in my dreams but the moment I wake up, it's so vague. Then suddenly Kyungsoo starts to get super angry but scared at the same time. Then it's weird because I know that the dream has a continuation but it's never there when I dream it, you know? It's like an empty spot in a completed puzzle and I never get to dream the remaining of that dream. I shouldn't be scared because I don't know how the dream ends, but I always wake up in the middle of the night like I had the scariest nightmare of my life."

Jisoo stared at her silently with a look.

"What?" Jieun said.

"You're too into this."

The two laughed and threw cushions at each other, continuing to chatter. 

 

    From behind the door was Kyungsoo who heard the conversation and was in shock.

 

Jieun had dreamed the missing part of Kyungsoo's nightmare that he had every night.


 

Thank you for reading my story and subscribing!

My summer class has ended now so I should be able to update more often!

It would mean a lot if you would upvote my story thanks!