Dreaming

Like Magic

Dreaming


     "Wake up Lee Jieun! You're late for school again!" Jihye, Jieun's older sister hollered, panting as she threw the blanket off Jieun who was still sleeping.

     Her sister slapped Jieun's and dragged her off the bed, waking Jieun as she hit her head on the hard floor. Jihye had always thought that her little sister was a little too clumsy at home and a little too slow in the mornings.

"What time is it," Jieun croaked, rubbing her eyes.

"It's 8:30," Jihye shot her a look. "How can you sleep through eight alarm bells?!"

"But my Prince Kyungsoo took me on a date on his broomstick," Jieun wailed. "Why did you have to wake me up?!" she threw her pillow at Jihye and wailed even louder as she drew Kyungsoo in her head.

     "When are you going to get over that wizard freak that comes out in your dream each night?!" Jihye slapped Jieun's and pulled her up, forcing her to stand up as she shoved her sister into the bathroom.

"Be out of the house by 8:50."

     Jieun and Jihye had just moved to Seoul from Gwangju. Mr.Lee had gotten a promotion, and now he was going to be the manager in the main branch in Seoul instead of the sub branch down at GwangJu. Such a transfer came with a price of course, and their small family had to move to Seoul to accomodate with their father's new job.

Plus, Jihye was appointed as an intern at the Seoul branch also - Jieun had no say whether she wanted to move to Seoul or not.

     It was hard for her to get used to the new environment after leaving all her friends and memories behind, but Do Kyungsoo was what helped her get through the rough times. Who is this Kyungsoo you ask?

Kyungsoo was the handsome wizard that appeared in her dream almost every other night, and he often fulfilled her romantic fantasies.

Ever since then, Lee Jieun believed that the world of Wizard and Witches existed.

     It wasn't that Jieun minded moving to Seoul. She had always wanted to come to Seoul because she had heard sightings of actual wizards and witches all around Seoul. It was for the better, because when she was in Gwangju she didn't have the money and time to travel back and fro every single time to see sightings. There were numerous groups and clubs that were dedicated to these things which to Jieun was, perfect.

     Jieun had one friend in Seoul that she met when she was young. His name was Jisoo, and they had gotten pretty close ever since they attended the same pre-school when she lived in Seoul during her younger years. Their friendship still going strong, he was like her best friend. She felt a close connection with Jisoo because while everyone else thought that her wizard stories were nonsense, Jisoo was the only one who actually listened in to her. She didn't like him in that way though; she was too lovesick dreaming about Kyungsoo all day.

Jieun finished washing up and got dressed into her school uniform. She looked at herself through the mirror and smiled to herself. Her room, her school uniform, her everything seemed to be different.

But it wasn't so bad. 

She looked at the clock and rushed out of the door, getting into the car as her sister grumbled about her laziness.

"How can you think of being late on your first day?" Jihye looked at her sister pathetically as she drove into the highway. Jihye was nervous herself because it was her first day of internship at the new company. Although her father would be there, it didn't make things any better. Although there weren't much problems between Dad and her, their father was never really there for them.

There was no father and daughter in the workplace anyway. 

"Sheesh," Jieun raised an eyebrow. "Why're you so sassy today?"

"You're already a senior in high school Lee Jieun." Jihye sighed and looked at Jieun. "Mom's gone and now that we're in Seoul even Dad's not going to be here for us as much. I can't be here for you as much either. It's about time you take more responsibility; you're not a kid anymore."

"Dad was never there for us in the first place."

Jihye sighed and continued driving as the light turned green again. 

"I know it's hard to be alone in this new place," she said gingerly. "And I'm sorry about that. But you know Dad's doing this for us."

"Making money isn't doing anything for us."

"Lee Jieun," Jihye sighed. 

"Ever since Mom passed away I've always felt alone." She said as she looked out the window. "I don't care if we're on the streets or if we have to live in a one room studio. I just want our family to be an actual family."

"You know the only reason that everyone here respects our family is because of Dad. Because he has such a respected position, because he makes alot of money, that's the reason that no one can look down on us Jieun. If you truly knew the life of being on the streets or not being respected, you wouldn't say that."

"Whatever," she sighed. Jieun looked out the sky, wishing she could fly across that sky with her broomstick.

"We're here." Jihye pulled over infront of the large school as the two sisters glanced at the school in awe. The school was at least twice the size of her her old school back at GwangJu and seemed much more elite. At the front gate read the large letters that carved HanSung Science High school. 

Although Jieun was a smart girl, she never had any plans to go to a Science school.

It was her Dad's way.

"You know which bus to take home right?"

"Yeah," Jieun shrugged. "You're not picking me up?"

"I'm going to be late today," she said as she slipped out some money from her wallet and gave it to Jieun. "Take the bus home. And buy yourself some dinner."

     Jieun nodded glumly and got out of the car, taking a breath of the morning Seoul air. Gwangju air seemed to be more fresher, but she wasn't complaining. This school seemed like one of those schools that those rich spoilt kids attended; the school in every korean drama. She wasn't exactly sure what Seoul kids were like, but she assumed that they were all nice like Jisoo.

She looked around as she walked into the school, hoping she would run into Jisoo.

     She was surprised when she found out that Jisoo was a student at Hansung Science High school. Admittance to this school was done through a very selective exam and out of the thousands of students who take the exam each year, less than 5 percent made it each year. Admittance was just the beginning; students had to compete to get into the honorary class which was composed of students whose ranks were in the top ten of their entire grade.

She didn't understand why Jisoo was attending this school; he was an actor trainee.

"Are you the new student?"

     The teacher asked as she roamed around the teacher's office, awkwardly searching for whoever would be in charge of her. She scanned the teacher from head to toe , surprised. Usually at elite schools all the teachers were old and overweight. But this was one was young - around 28. Jieun looked around the office and saw that most of the teachers were aged the same and had extremely good visuals. 

"Miss Lee Jieun," the teacher said as he looked through her files. "You must be pretty smart. First place in the entire grade at your old school and a transfer without taking the admittance exam." The teacher nodded impressively.

"Y..eah."

"I'm Mr. Jeong and I will be your homeroom teacher."

     Jieun nodded awkwardly and followed the teacher who led her to the classroom. The bell hadn't even rung yet the corridor was so quiet. As they walked past each classroom, Jieun saw students all in their seats studying their heads off in their seats. The atmosphere tensed her as they stopped infront of a classroom and the two walked into the silent classroom.

Jieun saw a few heads turning up as she entered the classroom.

"Attention everyone," Mr.Jeong called.

Jieun looked around and smiled as she saw Jisoo sitting at the back right corner, smiling right back at her. 

"We have a new transfer student. Introduce yourself."

"Hi I'm Lee Jieun from GwangJu.. Let's.. be good friends?" She said awkwardly and took the empty seat next to Jisoo. Jieun couldn't believe that the students didn't have the least interest in a transfer student as their heads were fixed on their textbooks and study notes. Her school back at Gwangju consisted of chattering and laughing that filled the entire classroom even after the school bell rang. 

 

"How do you survive in that environment?" Jieun sighed as she walked down to the cafeteria with Jisoo. Even lunchtimes at this place was so quiet that she felt bad about talking out loud. She found it hard to believe that some students were skipping lunch just to study. 

"I've done it the past two years," he shrugged. "Just gotta survive until graduation."

Jisoo and Jieun grabbed their tray full of food and took a seat by the corner where the actual talking students of the school hung around. Even in the cafeteria, students were eating while studying and didn't let go of their pencils. She didn't expect students to be this hung over their studies; she was absouletely sure they would all make it to good Universities.

"Why is it so tense here?" Jieun asked, looking around. "I feel bad for talking out loud."

"You can talk here," he laughed and pointed to the sign that read Talking Zone.

"They're not like that all the time," he said as he stuffed food into his mouth. "It's honorary exam week next week."

"What's the big deal about that?"

"It's an advanced study class for the entrance exam."

"But you can get those anywhere in academies." Jieun raised an eyebrow. 

"Apparently the teacher for that class is like the best in the country or something, I don't know." Jisoo shrugged and continued eating.

"How about you," Jieun asked. "How's your training going?"

"So-so.. Feel kind of doubtful after my last debut got cancelled. It's getting kind of hard to go to every lesson especially with all this schoolwork piling up."

"Why don't you just transfer to an Arts High school?"

"If my parents found out I'm a trainee, they'll kill me. They think I'm going to become a Pharmacist."

"Isn't it better to just tell them the truth? If your debut gets finalized, they're going to find out anyway."

"I want to tell them after I debut, so they can't stop me anymore."

"You and your stubbornness," Jieun chuckled as she continued eating.

"Do you still believe in wizards and witches?" he asked as he almost finished his tray of food. 

"Of course," she exclaimed. "Kyungsoo appeared in my dreams again."

"You know it was strange. The other day I was walking home at around 9PM, and I saw something flying across the sky. I thought it was just a bird but I saw it with my own two eyes, a person was caught in a tree with his broomstick sticking out of the tree. I thought I was dreaming so when I rubbed my eyes he was gone just like that." Jisoo chuckled in amusement.

"Are you serious?"

"Maybe I'm seeing things, but it was true."

"Take me there."

"You sure?" he shrugged. "Even if he is a wizard, doesn't seem like he's going to appear again."

"Doesn't matter. Take me there."

---

     It was 9PM.

     Jisoo and Jieun walked along the same path that Jisoo walked across the other day, stopping infront of the tree that the strange figure was tangled in the other day. Jisoo left because of his tutoring schedule but despite the darkness and the guttering streetlamp, Jieun stood in the same spot waiting for something to appear. It didn't matter if it was fake, just anything. 

9:30PM.

Jieun yawned as she waited under the tree, waiting for something to appear. 

Not a single thing had appeared, and she was starting to get sick of waiting. "Of course he was just teasing me." She murmured to herself as she walked away slowly but stopped when she heard a bunch of shrieks coming from above.

 

She looked up and saw a bunch of black shadows flying over the dark night sky, followed by the scream of a male and a female.

"DO SOMETHING!" The female voice shrilled.

Jieun gulped and hurridly slipped on her glasses, her jaws dropping at the sight.

Right above her were two students - a wizard and a witch who were struggling to gain control of their broomstick. The girl was hanging on for her dear life while the guy was trying to put spells on both of their broomsticks to calm it down but instead made it worse. 

"BYUN BAEKHYUN YOU FREAK!" Jieun heard the girl shriek before the girl crashed into the tree, her broomstick falling to the floor.

She watched as the guy struggled on his broomstick, screaming as he crashed into the tree. The two crashed into each other and fell down screaming some kind of spell and floated themselves 1cm off the floor. 

Jieun watched as the girl waved her hand across the floor and they dropped to the floor with a large thud.

"I told you we should have brought the ones with the anti-spells on them!" the girl seethed and punched the guy on the arm. Jieun picked up the pair of spectacles and a name tag that fell on the floor and slowly approached the two people under the tree.

"You should be grateful I even followed you out here-"

"Excuse me," Jieun echoed.

The two froze as they desperately grabbed their broomsticks and backed away as Jieun tried to approach them. Her heart was beating so fast; she was seeing an actual Wizard and Witch and this was a dream. She giggled and slapped her cheek and pinched it to make sure she wasn't dreaming. 

Indeed she wasn't.

"Why is that girl slapping herself?" the boy asked as he backed away, terrified.

"I have no idea," the girl replied.

"Excuse me you dropped this-"

"FLY!" The girl screamed as she got on her broomstick and fled right through the tree, disappearing within seconds. The guy looked as if he was looking for his broomstick but was struggling in the darkness. Jieun assumed he couldn't see properly because she had picked up his spectacles on the ground. 

Jieun approached the boy who was stuck to the wall with his broomstick in his arms.

"Don't come any closer," he hissed.

"I just.. you dropped this." She passed him the spectacles and the small nametag. He snatched the spectacles off and fit it on his small face, flying off into the sky and disappearing within seconds.

"You forgot your nametag-" Jieun screamed, but they were already gone.

 

Her heart palpapitated so fast.

She had just seen a real wizard.

She stared at the nametag in her hand that read Byun Baekhyun and decided:

 

She was going to come back here every night.

Every night until she saw them again.