Surprise

Like Magic

Surprise


     Kyungsoo looked out the window, staring at the gloomy weather.

Suzy and Baekhyun had been missing class all day; something was suspicious. Although the two would skip classes on a regular basis, it was the first time they skipped almost an entire day of classes. Kyungsoo had looked around the entire school this morning and during lunchtime, but the two were nowhere to be seen. What made him more nervous was the fact that Baekhyun's suitcase and broomstick was also gone.

     But Kyungsoo couldn't let this spill anywhere.

Suzy had been talking about portals the past few months, and Kyungsoo was beginning to think that they were in the other world.

     He had seen Suzy talk about how she went back and forth the other world numerous times, but she had always returned in the morning. It was strange how she was not back; something was wrong.

     Kyungsoo ran to the library and collected a pile of books on portals, opening each book for information about delayed returns. Students gave Kyungsoo a funny look and whispered amongst themselves as they stared at the numerous portal books stacked.

     "The portal will deny entrance if any traces of the Wizard or Witch is left in the other world," Kyungsoo read through the books. The more he read, the more it had to be true. Suzy was famous for leaving her belongings unattended even at school. There was no way she was going to suddenly change in the new world.

"But that doesn't make sense," Kyungsoo thought to himself.

If she was clumsy in the other world, it doesn't make sense she returned in time all the past times she entered the other world.

"Baekhyun," Kyungsoo whispered.

He continued reading through the book, when his eyes stopped at the last section.

"No," he ran his fingers through his hand. "This can't be.."

He slammed the book shut and rushed toward his dorm, grabbing his broomstick on the way.

The last paragraph in the book shook him hard.

 

     Failure for a Wizard or a Witch to return to their original world within the first month will result in slow deprieval of their magic powers.

Failure to return within the first twelve month will result in growing elimination of memory about their existance as a Wizard/Witch and their life in the magic realm.

Failure to return within 24 months will result in death. 

 

 

🌟                             🌟                               🌟                                  🌟                                 🌟                                    🌟                                    🌟                                🌟

 

     Jisoo stared at Baekhyun and Suzy.

"Wizard.. huh," he raised his eyebrow and gave Jieun a look. 

"I'm telling you," Jieun slapped him on the arm. "I literally saw them fly on their broomsticks and everything, I'm not joking."

     Jisoo looked at Baekhyun and Suzy, fascinated by the water purifier that squeezed everyone some water everytime they pushed a cup into the small compartment inside.

     "Are you crazy?" Jisoo seethed. "You're just going to let two strangers stay in your house? Who knows what they could be? They could be murderers or con artists trying to rip some money off you!"

"You're really going to think I'm out of my mind, but I really saw them flying on their broomstick Jisoo," Jieun exclaimed. "It's real."

"I don't care so much for the girl, but that guy's getting on my mind."

"What do you mean?"

"There's a random guy sleeping in your house Lee Jieun," Jisoo accentuated. "I don't feel safe about this."

"I told you he's safe-"

"Oh and you are?"

"I'm staying at your house."

"Whoa," Jieun blocked him. "Ok, what?"

     "Both your father and your sister know me. Plus, your father and Jihye noona said I could crash into your place if I need a place to stay, especially since that time I helped you when you got lost in Seoul during that one summer trying to look for wizards."

"Why are you leaving your perfectly normal home?!" Jieun frowned. "Your parents will be worried."

Jisoo's face died down a little. "My parents got promoted, they're moving to Masan. They're leaving me behind in Seoul because of my studies."

"What?" Jieun said, surprised. "You never told me this before."

"Doesn't really change anything," he shrugged. "They got me an apartment near school, but I sold it."

"What?"

"Just let me stay at your place."

"What do you mean you sold it that doesn't-"

"Just happened they put the place under my name," he shrugged. "I did whatever."

"Is this why you asked to meet up today?" Jieun sighed in disbelief.

"It feels like I just got hit by a lightening Jisoo," Jieun stared at him. "You can't just do this and decide to just tell me about it. I know your parents and they're scary. If they know you sold the house they bought for you, they're going to kill me too."

"But they're weak to your dad," he nodded in satisfaction. "I'll just hide behind your father."

"Whatever," she said disapprovingly.

"Anyway, how long are you going to let them stay?" Jisoo asked, staring at Suzy and Baekhyun who were playing with the water purifier.

"I don't know," Jieun shrugged. "They can't fly until the monsoon stops."

"Does your sister even know those two are staying at your house right now?"

"No," she murmured. "I don't know what to do.."

"Your sister's not going to let it slide easily if you get caught." 

"Jisoo," she looked into his eyes. "Tell her they're your acting colleagues." 

"What?" he chuckled. "No way,"

"If you don't want to sleep on the streets, you better say it."

Jieun stood up and brought Suzy and Baekhyun back, returning home.

----

"Oh, Jisoo came." Jihye smiled as she sat on the sofa, switching the television channels.

"Hello," he smiled. "Long time no see."

"How's your acting practice going lately?"

"Great," he nodded. 

"Any good news yet?"

"Company's working on a debut project soon," he smiled. "I need to get lucky."

Jihye nodded as her eyes went toward Suzy and Baekhyun standing behind Jieun. 

"Who are they?"

Jieun pinched Jisoo who looked back at her with a dirty face. 

"Uh Jihye noona," Jisoo said reluctantly. 'Remember how last time you said I could stay here?"

"Yeah?"

"It just happens to be that my acting colleagues also happened to be in the same situation..haha.."

Jihye stared at the two and made a face.

"Are you sure they're your acting colleagues?"

"O..ofcourse!"

"Fine," Jihye waved them off. "Youse can use the roofroom."

     Jieun breathed a sigh of relief and walked up to the roofroom. The heavy rain dripped against the window and the soft pattering of the rain against the rooftop resonated through the room as Jisoo threw his baggage aside and jumped on the bed. 

"I haven't been here in ages," Jisoo smellt the place. "It smells just the same."

"Jisoo," she said. "You share the room with Baekhyun. I'll share my room with Suzy." 

"You want me to share the room with him?" Jisoo bit his lips.

"I don't want him in this room," Baekhyun grunted.

"You two.. get along." Jieun nodded awkwardly and walked downstairs with Suzy.

 

Ding Dong

 

"Who is it at this hour?" Jieun wondered as she peeked through the door hole. 

Suzy watched behind Jieun, curious.

 

Jieun opened the door and to her surprise, her jaws dropped.

She couldn't believe who she was looking at.

 

Infront of her was Kyungsoo, drenched in rain. 

It was Kyungsoo, the boy that had appeared in her dream for years.

He wiped the rain off his face and looked up, looking into Jieun's eyes. 

 

"Kyungsoo?" Suzy called from behind.

Kyungsoo dropped his bag and gasped, pushing past Jieun. He pulled Suzy by the wrist and hugged her tightly, shivering from the cold of the rain.

 

As Jieun watched the two, she felt a small bitterness in her heart.