Not Your Average SAkaNA

Welcome To My World

Sakana- fish in Japanese

 

 

 

 

 

“Hi (y/n),” Sana  said, as she dashed off to History class one Thursday morning.

 

“Hi, Sana.” you replied, with a lump in your throat. Minatozaki Sana’s necklace sparkled, and you gazed in awe at her attractive bracelet as her cell phone ringtone wafted your way.  Your pulse raced, and your body froze when you saw her.  Here it is, the 27th of November, and you still haven’t asked Sana out. Your crazy about her, and school will be out in less than two weeks. You friended each other on Facebook in April, but people friend each other at the drop of a hat. Time is moving, and you’ve got to act fast.

 

That night you tossed and turned, wondering how you’d get the nerve to ask her out on a date.  Call her, leave a note, or send her a rose?  Sana has wavy greyish hair. You longed to hold her hand, gaze into her eyes, and watch the sunset at Han River with her. You were truly smitten.

 

The next morning you saw her in the hall as she was leaving History class.

 

“Sana, how are you doing,” you asked haltingly. Your tongue was in a knot.

 

“Pretty well, (y/n),” Sana replied with a fragile smile.

 

“Sana, what are you doing this summer?” You asked, straining for something to say.

 

“I’ll be working at Asia Hope Camp.  Since I’ll be majoring in World heritage in University, I thought I’d get some experience in the field. What are your plans for the summer?”

 

“I’m going to apply at the newly open café down town, since I love coffee. Maybe I’ll get a barista job. By the way, Sana, when’s your birthday? Isn’t it in December?

 

“It’s December 29th. I’ll be at camp then. It’ll be fun.  (y/n), I’ve got to get to trig class.  See you on Monday,” she said, as she slipped away again.

 

All weekend you thought about Sana. Sana’s a genuine and down-to-earth girl, unlike a lot of girls at school. The problem is she’s dating Chou Tzuyu from the baseball team. She’s always dumping her, only to make up again. Sana’s blind to Tzuyu, always giving her one more chance. She deserves better, and you think you’re it.  Now, if you could only ask her out!

 

The following Tuesday you ran into your friend Yoo Jeongyeon.  “Jeong, how did you hook up with Momo last year? I have this huge crush on Minatozaki Sana from History class, but every time I see her, I get tongue-tied.”

 

“I was helping Momo study for an English exam last June. She got a 93, and she couldn’t have been happier. We started dating right after that. She even shared her jokbal with me and do you even know how she value her food”

 

“But Sana doesn’t need any help with History. She always aces the tests, getting 95’s or 100’s. I just don’t know what to say to her. What if Tzuyu finds out?”

 

“Ask her to the movies. Me before You is opening this weekend, and it’s going to be a blockbuster. Good luck and I’ll catch ya later.”

 

You kept putting off asking Sana out. What if she said no? That thought unnerved you.  You rehearsed lines in your mind, making sure you didn’t trip on your words. The lines went like this:

 

“Sana, how would you like to go to see Me before You Saturday night?

 

“Sana, do you want to go out for an ice cream Friday night?”

 

“Hi, Sana, would you like to meet over at Han River?”  The lines came out so effortlessly, but of course, Sana wasn’t around.

 

Two days later Jeong cornered you in the hall.  “So (y/n), did you ask Sana out?”

 

“No, not yet,” you replied.

 

“Time is ticking. Tomorrow is the last day of classes.”

 

The sands were slipping through the hourglass in your mind, and you felt more helpless with each grain that passed through.

 

The next day at lunch you overheard Sana  and Tzuyu talking. They said something about Han River and 6 o’clock. So you decided to take a stroll down to the park to do a little innocent spying.

 

A lot of the people go down to the park to hang out, and it’s always fun shooting the breeze with friends. The oaks and maples were in full bloom, it was 35 degrees, and you needed a study break.  As you were walking down a tree-flanked path, you began to hear two familiar voices over a din of rock music. The voices belonged to Sana and Tzuyu. You decided to hide behind an oak tree across the way and eavesdrop. You’d seen them together before but usually in a group. You’d never seen them alone at Han River.

 

“Sana, be there at 9.”

 

“I’ve got to study, Tzuyu.  Exams are next week.”

 

“Study, study, study!  That’s all you ever do! I was hoping we’d hang out with my team after the game and then we could sleep over at my place with just the two of us. You’d better be there tonight–I’ve waited enough. You always prioritise your study, what about me? Oh?“

 

Why does Sana put up with her nonsense? You thought.

 

“Tzuyu, you know how much studying mean to me.  And finals are coming up and that’ll decide if I can go to Uni.”

 

“Don’t give me that excuse. Every time I asked you to hang out with me, you always give this excuse.  Be there tonight, or it’ll be over between us!”

 

You were seething inside. The girl of your dreams was right in front of you, and she was with a louse. Meanwhile, the argument was escalating. If only you have Sana’s number, you could go behind a tree nearby, and that’d distract Tzuyu.

 

“Don’t bother, Tzuyu. I’ve finally seen you for what you are. You’re always with your brainless friends and hang out with them every day. I didn’t even see you study for once. You seemed all right at first–you’re attractive and athletic, but you’re pushy and I don’t like that. I’m better off with someone who can understand me and my priorities.”

 

You respected Sana for standing up to Tzuyu. You too are one hella studious kid, and you even top all of your classes, regardless of what everybody say.  Meanwhile, the quarrel raged on:

 

“I’ll find your replacement before you.  Son Chaeyoung is willing, and so is Myoui Mina.”

 

“Then go ahead and see Chaeyoung,” Sana said sharply.  “She’s more your league anyway. And one more thing, get a life!”

 

“Don’t talk to me like that.  I’m Chou Tzuyu,” she snarled, as she grabbed Sana’s backpack and ped it. Her books and papers tumbled out. Tzuyu then shoved Sana to the ground. Sana’s face turned white, and tears began to stream down her cheeks. Adrenaline shot through your body.

 

“Let her be, you lowlife,” you shouted, as you emerged from your hiding place, 50 feet away.

 

“Just who are you, nerdface?” Tzuyu sneered.

 

“I hate to see you treated her like that,” you said firmly.

 

Sana was still crying but managed to smile weakly at you.

 

“If you don’t come tonight, we’re through. Be wise Sana, you’ll need someone like me” Tzuyu said, menacingly. “Anyway, I’ve got to cruise. The game starts at 7. You know where to be tonight. I’ll be waiting,” Tzuyu said with a sly grin.  Sana gave Tzuyu an icy stare as Tzuyu walked toward her car.

 

You were finally alone with Sana. You picked up her books and papers, which were strewn all over the grass. You noticed her skin was still pale. “Sana, are you all right,” You asked quietly.

 

“I’m okay, just a little dizzy,” she said, as she slowly regained her composure.

 

“Has she always done this to you?” you asked.

 

“A few times, but she’s all talk. She did scare me this time. She’d never done anything like this. She’s probably stressed out because of the big game. It’s over between us anyhow, and summer’s coming. I’ll be glad to get to camp.”

 

“Sana, I was wondering if we could go to the ice cream shop,” You said quickly.

 

“Your treat!  I owe you one,” Sana said emphatically. “I don’t know what Tzuyu would have done if you hadn’t shown up.  She’s got a temper, and she’s getting more controlling.”

 

You two talked for an hour at Baskin Robbin’s Ice Cream shop nearby.

 

You walked Sana home, and you encouraged her to call or e-mail you.  The next few days passed quickly, and you took your exams. After five days, you decided to give Sana  a call to see how she was doing.  For 30 minutes you stalled, as you approached the phone, then shied away. You wish you had Sana’s e-mail, because e-mail is a godsend for shy people. As it stood, you were a shy person with only a phone number. Sure, you could send Sana a letter, but she’ll be leaving for camp any day. Finally, you dialled the number.

 

“Sana, this is (y/n). I was wondering how you’ve been doing since last Friday.”

 

“Pretty well, very busy getting ready for camp. Sorry I haven’t gotten back to you, I’ve been so busy! I’ll be back from camp in two months. I’ll be in touch in late January!”

 

Late January was two long months away. You have to see her before then.

 

Meanwhile, you had gotten a job cleaning at the new café. It wasn’t a barista job, but it was a start.

 

The next two weeks went by slowly. There was a hit song out, “Cheer Up” by Twice, which reminded you of Sana. Twice sounds like a Godsend singing angels. Since the song knocked me out, you requested it every time your shift is about to end. You kept requesting the song fortunately everyone loves this song to death.

 

You made up your mind that you had to see Sana on her birthday. You decided you would surprise her at camp that day. By the time the 29th of December rolled around, you were wired. You were even losing weight. The night before Sana’s birthday you tossed and turned. How would the next day turn out?

 

Saturday the 29th arrived, at last. Luckily, you had the day off from work. You were planning to leave for Asia Hope Camp at noon with Im Nayeon.

 

“(y/n), where are you going today,” your mom asked, shortly after you’d gotten up and showered.

 

“I’m going to visit a friend at Asia Hope Camp. I’m going up with Nayeon, and she’s driving, so I won’t need the car today.”

 

“Be sure to get some breakfast.  It’s going to be a hot one today,” your mom reminded you.

 

“I’ll grab some toast and juice,” you said quickly.

 

While slipping the bread slices into the toaster, you thought about that Twice song again. It was just the kind of song Sana would like: colour pop. It was your theme song, though she didn’t know it yet.

 

You and Nayeon left at noon sharp and arrived at the camp at one.

 

“They’ve got to be swimming now,” You said, perspiring.

 

“They usually go in around 1:30,” Nayeon replied, clutching her towel and preparing to make a mad dash for the beach.  “Everybody will be in today–that sun’s a razor, and its 45 degrees.”

 

You two headed for the lobby.

 

“I’m looking for a Minatozaki Sana who works here,” you asked the receptionist. A girl with animated eyes named Jihyo approached you. “She’s a counsellor, and today’s her birthday.”

 

“You’re out of luck. Sana went to the shore with some of her friends.  It was her day off.”

 

Your face fell when you heard that.

 

“As long as you guys are here, you might as well go for a swim.” Jihyo offered.

 

“Yes, yes,” Nayeon said merrily, eyeing Jihyo. You were in the dumps because you were going to miss out on Sana.

 

“Come on, (y/n), let’s go for a swim. Just leave a note for Sana after we’re done,” Nayeon said.

 

You reluctantly walked to the dressing room. While we were swimming, You were thinking about what you’d write to Sana in that note. Nayeon couldn’t stop talking about the long trip and the beautiful view.

 

After you two were done and dressed, you went back to the lobby. You borrowed a pen and a piece of paper, and wrote:

 

Dear Sana ,

 

I know you will be surprised to hear from me. I wanted to visit you on your birthday, but you had gone for the weekend. I hope you had a good day. Please drop me a line.

 

Sincerely, (y/n)

 

“That note’s too generic,” Nayeon chided.

 

“But it’s sincere and that’s what she likes” You retorted.

 

After that we decided to head back, stopping by Jeong’s on the way back. After hanging out and eating pizza with Jeong and Momo, Nayeon dropped you off at your house.

 

A few days passed. You buried yourself in your work. You weren’t sure if Sana would write back. You lost another two pounds.

 

“(y/n), I’ve set up an appointment with Dr. Park, he’s awfully good to talk to” your mom said.

 

“I’m fine. I have a crush on some girl, that’s all,” You said impatiently.

 

“But all you do is work and think about that girl. She’s not the only fish.”

 

“That’s such a cliché,” you replied.  “Besides, Sana’s unique. She’s cute and smart not your average fish in the sea.”

 

“There’ll be others,” your mom said, brushing it off.

 

There was no one like Sana.

 

Your sister Dahyun went to get the mail. When she came back, you asked her if you’d gotten anything.

 

“Let’s see: the phone bill, a Lotte’s ad, a ticket tour to a chocolate factory for me, Baseball Digest for Dad, Better Homes and Gardens for Mom, and a letter for you from a Minatozaki.

 

“Minatozaki?! That’s Sana’s last name.” you gasped.

 

You ran to your room.  Your pulse raced, and your legs trembled as you tore open the envelope. You then read:

 

Dear (y/n),

 

Thanks for remembering my birthday. What a great surprise!  It was so good to hear from you. It gets lonely up here, even though we’re busy all the time.  I’d like you to come up for a visit sometime next month. And maybe we can catch the sunset at Han River.

 

Sincerely, Sana

 

“Mom?”

 

“Yes, (y/n).”

 

“Cancel that appointment with Dr. Park. I’m going to Hope camp this Saturday. I’m going to visit Sana” you replied and a big smile was plastered to your face for the whole day.