Deaf

Reading your lips

Eunji found his dad on the stairs. “Let's take a walk.”

He followed her, quite amazed she's not a bucket of tears by now. She was not looking at him, already taking steps towards the garden. Song Joon followed this person reluctantly. They walked side to side in silence for long minutes before arriving to a children park. Eunji smiled being there and broke the unbearable silence .

I'm sorry. The other night, I was aggressive. I know this doesn't probably count for you, but I was really really looking forwards this weekend with YongGuk. And what you've done made me unable to see him. I felt miserable.”

 

His father was looking at her, surprised. He cleared his throat, she bowed respectfully and added.I'm sorry that I excuse myself this late. But the thing is that I 'm going to become a part of family, so I don't want any harsh feeling between us.”

 

He nodded. And considered the girl in front of him. She seemed sincere. The night in Busan, she was angry agaisnt the whole universe, and him especially but now, she was sincere.

So there's cake that my dad brought. Mango and chocolate. He did the mango one especially for YongGuk and the chocolate one because I'm fond of chocolate. Are you going to taste both of them ?”

 

He nodded once again, not knowing how to make himself understand by her unless that. “Okay, so let's go.”

They were quietly going back, when Eunji saw YongGuk running around. “Huh ? Gukkie ?” Hearing his name, he turned his head and ran to them. His father looked at him take in a semi hug Eunji before signing to her.

 

Eunji, I got worried. You two were gone for so long. So I went around to search for you. So did he excuse himself ?”

 

Huh ?” She said, not getting why he was asking that.

 

Did he excuse himself ? He own you an apology.” YongGuk said, looking over his father that was looking down, avoiding his eyes.

 

Eunji considered Yongguk father and quickly shook her head. “No; I owned him an apology. I was mean to him at Busan so I wanted to soothe my conscience.”

 

Okay, but he was mean to you. He he said that you-” YongGuk stopped his sentence, embarassed to have to repeat that to Eunji. Her lips were set in a little pout, sign of her attention to him. He didn't know how his father could be that mean to people, especially considering how adorable Eunji is.

 

That I what ?” She said, getting annoyed by YongGuk way to slow down the processus of communication. .

 

A lot of things. That your accent was weird. That I was marrying you for charity.” YongGuk looked at Eunji expression change and she looked at his father with new eyes.

 

He said that ?” She said with a shaking voice. Her eyes found his fathers ones and decealing the sadness and hurtness in there, he looked down in shame.  YongGuk nodded slowly and sighed. "

"Now you're happy Dad ? This is what you wanted ?" YongGuk said losing his temper like he never did before. Song Jun looked at Eunji staying froze and sighed. YongGuk went to hug her and patted her back. They stayed this way for a while, Eunji motionless.

 “Nothing of that is true, okay ?”

She looked at him sign and nodded slowly.   She gave him a resignated smile.

Let's go and eat the cake. Then we can definetly go.” She grabbed his ringed hand and they started to walk back to the house. His dad grabbed her wrist.

"I'm sorry. I was drunk and didn't behave correctly with you."

Eunji looked at him in the eyes, and stayed still a few seconds before shrugging. "Okay."

"Huh ?"

"Let's just eat cake." She repeated, before walking faster than them and leaving them behind. She ran to open the door of the house. “So when are we eating this cake ?” She said, once everyone was reunited. Everyone sat back at the table.

They served everyone and Eunji sat back next to YongGuk. She had a big part of the chocolate cake and was eyeing the mango mousse of YongGuk. “It looks good, right ?” As Eunji nodded vigourously, YongGuk pushed his plate towards her. Taste a little bit.”

With her spoon, she tasted his slide of cake with a curious face. “Oh. It tastes good.”

But not better than the chocolate cake ?” Her father asked, after reaching for her shoulder. She nodded and pushed hr fiancé plate back in front of him making him giggle. He couldn't comprehend how she found back her joy just like that but was relieved to see her eat with appetite. 

She adores chocolate so much. She tastes my other pastries just because she wants to help.” Her father said, looking at her eating.

YongJoon too loves chocolate soo much. It's a shame he didn't get vacation too.” the mon said. “Almost all the family is here, except him.”

 

YongGuk reassured her. “It's the first time, he'll be here for the others occassions.”

 

Yeah you're true.” She came to find his hand to squeeze it strongly.  “Until he was 7 years old, my little boy was mute. And suddenly one day, he decided himself. I was really worried about him. Because how can another person than me understand him ? I guess I didn't have to worry. Congratulations YongGuk. And Eunji welcome to our family."”

YongGuk signed back to Eunji making her hug his mom with a smile.

Until seven years old ?” Eunji mom asked. As Hana confirmed the information, the theather diva nodded slowly. “It's when we discovered Eunji hearing loss. She was seven too.”

Yo han had a glance for his daughter she was still teasing gently YongGuk, stealing sponful of his cake just to annoy him. She was just busying herself for nothing as the young man only giggled in protestation. He shrugged this information away.

 

I didn't know this about YongGuk. I guess every parents have struggles.” YoHan said.

 

Eunji parents sighed longly looking at Eunji. Hana feeling the atmosphere get tense,  clapped in her hands, getting everyone attention : “We have a piano. I know it may sound unpolite, but could you sing one song ?”

 

Kim Soo Hyu smiled and obliged, happy to share her passion. The night ended like this. Soo Hyu played the piano so well and her voice was really nice too. Eunji looked at her with loving eyes, touching the piano with her hands, in hope to feel the vibrations. As she seemed tired of that activity, she came back to sit next to YongGuk. She could't hear anything and it's been a while her mom was playing piano. YongGuk was looking at the woman singing while massaging Eunji hands, not wanting to get too intimate in front of both of their parents. He was looking at her mom talking while playing the piano at the time and suddenly the body of Eunji fell on him. Everyone stopped his activity. She fell asleep like this. All of this being too much of stimulation for her. Hana giggled, and everyone looked at YongGuk. Sasha came to his side.

"What ? Too impatient to go back home ?" She asked with a malicious voice. YongGuk groaned and lifted her in his arms, making everyone surprised.  I'll bring her in my room. I guess we're sleeping here tonight.”

 

He dropped her on the bed, she was still motionless. He got down and everyone was helping to clean around. His mom was surprised to see him downstairs. “Oh you didn't stay with her ? “

 

She's asleep until the next morning 10pm mom. I can spend some time with you right ?”The son stayed behond to talk with his mom, washing dishes with her as Eunji parents were helping in the living room, a last glass of wine in hands.

 

She knwe the movie Mama Mia by heart. She could dance the whole movie with me. She was the loudest child. Her ability to sing was really good. She enjoyed it geniously. She would watch tv all day if we didn't pay attention. Wake up at 4pm to watch tv, sing and dance. When she learnt the piano, we became crazy, remember ?”

 

Yohan nodded. Of course, he remembers every part of this musical journey with Eunji. His wife sipped a bit of wine and kept going with her story :

“So we started to train her. And I didn't realize how disciplined she became. Always practicing.  Every teacher was complimenting her, her voice and diligence. All of sudden all crumbled down. She became slow or started to do mistakes. We couldn't comprehend why the heck she became so shaky or out of rythm.  But it was her first representation, with her first big role, we thought it was stress."

 

Her mom stopped herself and Yo han patted her shoulder. “ Hey you don't have to tell us everything if it's hurting you this way.” Hana said.

 

She messed up. She wasn't in sync. She did a panic attack and we realised how sad and ill she was. The doctor detected so fast that she had hearing problems and we didn't. Because her carrier became an obsession. She knew it very well and hided for weeks. Eunji is this kind of girl, she will please your wishes, as crazy as they are. But she's deaf.”

Kim Soo Hyu stood up and pointed at the father. “What you said is wrong. She didn't struggled all her life, for someone to mock her this easily. This is the last time you mocked her today.”

 

Kim Soo Hyu stood up and thanked Hana for the party nonetheless. YongGuk went to walk them to their cars.I'm sorry that my dad said that. I'm really sorry for that."

 

He bowed to them, Yo Han shrugged. “Don't be. You're marvelous.” He patted the shoulder of the young man and they shared a little smile before leaving.

*

 

He was finished with washing his teeths in the bathroom upstairs and heard some sobbs. Shagged voice. He frowned and coming back to the room, he realized that Eunji was up and crying. He embraced her right away, after making sure the door was closed. She was looking straight in front of her and YongGuk got her attention.

 

He's a batard. He made you cry. Eunji why do you play the strong girl not affected in front of him and your parents ?”

 

She shrugged and signed with shaking hands. “YongGuk, I've caused trouble all my life, for once. For once I just wanted to have a happy moment with our family. I wanted to have a nice memory of my party engagement but but it seems that my condition is always reminded to me with a slap in the face. “

 

YongGuk looked at her sobbing. On the night of her engagement party. Silently, not wanting people to hear her. He wiped her tears and rocked her in his arms. He was thinking back about his father being hideous with her and he was slowly becoming angry again. Soon, Eunji pouted. “You're angry.”

 

I want to punch him in the face. Why does he talk to you like that ? Mocking your accent ?” YongGuk explained to her.

 

Eunji blushed. “YongGuk don't punch your dad in the face !! You're just saying that because I'm your girlfriend.”

 

He frowned and grabbed her face with his hands, shocking her. “No." He said. She nodded and he let her face free, to sign.  "

"There's simple reason to that. You're a human being, you deserve respect from others human beings. Nobody, and I say nobody should feel good to mock someone like he did to you tonight.”

She nodded, understanding his logic. YongGuk seemed defeated and soon blushed. But it doesn't mean your fiancée statut have is empty. Sure it makes me angry because you're a human being in the first place, but also because you're my fi-

 

Hearing her giggles, he stopped himself to look at her. Someone else would have get angry, feel that she didn't count enough for him but Eunji laughed. She walked to him and graced her fingers on his face. Seeing her honest smile, he mirrored her action. Feeling bothered by her tears on her cheeks, he wiped them away,

She got closer to his ear and whispered softly. “YongGuk, thanks for being the amazing human being you are.”

She applied her lips on his cheek in a tender way.

Eunji put her face back in front of his and they shared a quick peck, before Eunji leave for the bathroom.YongGuk looked at her messy hair from her sleeping time. With his hands, he started to detangle her hair softly, trying to not hurt her. Eunji looked at him with proud eyes. She used her free hand to sign.

How do you want me to not miss you when you're away? You're so lovely with me.”

 

He looked at her reflection signing and pulled her hair slightly, making her take steps back. This way, you miss me less.”

Eunji turned herself and Yongguk laughed, seing the white toothpaste on all of her left cheek. She rinced her teeth, faking being vexed. The truth is that she hided a big smile.

*

Is he asleep ? He must be.” She said aloud. YongGuk smiled, really sleepy against his pillow, curious of what she was expecting.

He heard her sigh and soon she lied closer to him. He felt her hand enter his shirt, on his back. She caressed it slowly, the contact of her fingers against his skin appeasing him. He smiled against his pillow, feeling the metal of her ring agaisnt his skin. Soon, her fingers signed on his skin.

I love you.

 


Here you are for this chapter !

This month I tried to write down the end and I have around 30 pages of material that I don't feel satisfied with. So bear with me, I'll come up with something !!

Have a nice day ~~