MAMA

Red Doored Residents
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sight in front of him brings bile to his lips as Jimin watches the thirteen year old being blinded. Taehyung looks away but the screams of the boy still echo about the abandoned subway tunnel.

The thick wad of cash placed into their hands does little to console their guilt as they walk back home. The boy's screams following them. His blood stuck to their clothes.

*****

"I'm going to ask this just one more time, Jimin. Where did you get this money from?"

It's midnight and Seokjin and Yoongi have Jimin and Taehyung cornered outside their humble abode. The two seventeen and sixteen year old boys are making sure to look anywhere but the two elders in front of them as the mumble an excuse that even they can't here. This is the fourth time this week this has happened and Seokjin is a little too peeved about their absences.

"Speak up Jimin." Yoongi warns as he  eyes the boy. And honestly, Jimin almost gets scared. Because Yoongi never refers to him as Jimin.

"We..." the boy thinks his words through before continuing. "We-" Jimin doesn't even get a chance to word out a lie before Seokjin cuts him off.

The elder boy turns towards the youngest present and with a warm, welcoming smile refers to Taehyung as he asks, "where'd you get that money from Taehyung-ah?"

And it's true when people say some things never change. Because Taehyung hasn't changed much the past five years. Sure he's grown taller than Jimin now, and is no longer the snotty kid Jimin could call cutie. But, Taehyung is pretty much the same small boy that needs to be told what to say and has a hard time lying. And it's no secret that Taehyung still needs Jimin as his shield, if the way he hides behind Jimin is anything to go by.

And honestly, Seokjin hasn't changed much either. Just as he always has been able to, he can read the nervous energy zap between the two friends. He can sense Taehyung's fear and Jimin's agitation. He can feel Taehyung almost telling him the truth before Jimin butts in. "We started babysitting Mrs. Song's children. She... She offered to help with... Our... Financial state. So that we can attend the... academy."

It's a lie. Yoongi knows it is. Because no one knows Jimin better than he does. It's in the darting eyes and the of lips. It in the way the boy discreetly squeezes Taehyung's hands to make him stay quiet as he speaks. But Yoongi keeps his words to himself. He doesn't say a word as he leads a very livid Seokjin away, advising the boys to get to bed as soon as they've had their dinner.

For some reason, Taehyung vomiting at the mere sight of food has him up all night.

*****

Namjoon is carrying the lighter of the two bags of groceries because Jimin, being the filial younger brother, offered to carry the larger one. It's a Saturday and upon Seokjin's orders the two boys were out running errands while the other boys cleaned up the apartment. Jimin hums a melody that Namjoon smiles at, proud about the fact that Jimin has an angel's voice. The air between them light as it always has been.

"What are you two up to Jimin-ah?" Namjoon says after a while and the air turns heavy and cold as Jimin stiffens beside him.

"W- what do you mean?"

Namjoon rolls his eyes because the boy is just too easy to read. He grabs the younger boy's hand and leads him to a bench. Gesturing him to sit, he too takes a seat, and explains as Jimin tries to avoid eye contact. "Look, I know you and Seokjin hyung have had your ups and downs." He simple gives Jimin a 'don't even deny it' look when Jimin begins to speak and continues without giving the boy a chance to, "he's only worried about you. About Tae."

Jimin heaves an irritated sigh before looking up at Namjoon. Their eyes meet and Jimin knows that Namjoon he's hiding something. Something big, but he says it anyways, "honestly hyung this is crazy!" He ruffles his hair as e bites out annoyed, "are you saying we have to tell you everything!? We're fine! We're not injured and we're okay! And that's all that matters!"

Namjoon is stunned into silence at the sudden outburst. And he remarks that this is nothing new. Jimin had always been the kindest, most soft-spoken. But, when provoked, Namjoon, and the others, knew how hot-headed Jimin could get. And at times like this he really wishes Yoongi were here because he'd know exactly how to calm Jimin down. But Yoongi isn't there right now and Namjoon needs to get it through Jimin that they only care for him and Taehyung.

"I know you two aren't injured and are fine. But that's for now!" He supresses the urge to shake the younger boy and continued with fisted hands. "What if in the future something happens? Something huge. Something bad!? Like-"

"Then I'll take care of it!" Jimin huffs out and looks away, signalling the end of conversation.

But Namjoon is having none of it. So he turns the boy back around rather harshly and bawls out, "this isn't a bike that can be fixed. It's your and Taehyung's lives on the line! I don't know what you two are doing-"

"You don't need to either!"

"- but I know it's something bad!"

A hush follows after as both the boy's are heaving slightly from anger. The next time Namjoon speaks his voice is several octaves lower and is dipped in guilt and concern, which only hurts Jimin more. "I'm concerned about you. About Taehyung. We all are." He takes Jimin's shoulder in his grasp as he lightly squeezes it as he speaks, "we're worried for you two. We're worried like you were for Seokjin hyung all those years ago. When you found out what he used to do. And I'm terrified, God knows I am."

Jimin sees the hurt in the elder's eyes as he grabs his hand off of his shoulders as he mutters, "you don't need to be. You shouldn't be terrified for us. You have to be terrified of us."

And in that instant, he sees just how much Jimin has grown. His dark circles and hollowed cheeks. And the world of understanding shining behind his youthful eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter