Awake

Red Doored Residents
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung watches from the window sill of his new home as Namjoon and Hoseok stumble back into the entrance of the apartment building. It's been a month since they've moved in but the place doesn't feel any more of a home than the train buggies they'd lived in. Or the pension where things went bad. Turning his attention back inside, Taehyung can't help but sigh morosely at the empty apartment that greets him.

 

Yoongi and Seokjin are out working their new jobs as a swimming pool cleaner and house servant, respectively. Jungkook is locked up in his bedroom, weeping. Taehyung has just come back from school and Jimin is missing. The boy frowns at the knowledge because he remembers leaving for school together but not coming back.

 

He heaves a sigh and pushes himself up from the chair he is seated on and makes his way towards one of the two bedrooms facing each other. He can hear the muffled groans coming from the bedroom opposite to the one he's standing at but doesn't make a move. Because it's been more than a month and they've tried everything.

 

He's accepted the fact that Jungkook won't ever forget.

 

*****

 

Namjoon watches the water boil in the kettle as he holds the ramen bowl in anticipation. His stomach grumbles in hunger and he winces as he eagerly grabs the hot kettle by the hilt. It's nearing 10 but Seokjin is still out working away on his second shift. Yoongi, too, is working the mop in the washrooms of the pool he's been appointed to clean. Hoseok is busy studying for a test for tomorrow and Taehyung is hopeless when it comes to cooking. Jungkook isn't an option. And Jimin hasn't come back home yet.

 

A frown creases his forehead as he reminds himself to ask the boy where he's been when he gets back. Though, not knowing when he's going to get back is going to be an issue in itself. His thoughts are soon cracked into, however, when the whistle atop the kettle hollers. He quickly pours the steaming liquid into four individual cups and grabs two pairs of chopsticks, making his way back into the main bedroom.

 

Entering into the bedroom he shares with Hoseok and Yoongi, Namjoon smiles, relieved to find Taehyung and Jungkook sitting beside the other boy. Taehyung is working on an assignment while Jungkook clutches onto a plush blanket, earphones stuck into his ears.

 

“Put away your books, Taehyung.” He declares, smirking at the boy when he looks up. “It's dinner time.” He sways the tray he's holding dramatically.

 

“Thank you!” Hoseok declares, briefly looking away from his textbook as Taehyung carefully puts away his own. “I'm famished.”

 

Taehyung grins at the pair as Namjoon settles down beside Hoseok and passes two bowls and a pair of chopsticks towards Taehyung. The boy grabs at the two bowls eagerly and makes a quick work of mixing the broth with the noodles, before pulling up a huge mouthful and blows at it. He then turns towards Jungkook, whose eyes are closed as he sways to the beat of some song and nudges the boy to get his attention. When Jungkook quirks an eye at him, Taehyung brings up the noodle-laden chopstick up to his lips and mouths at Jungkook to “eat up.”

 

Jungkook smiles a tiny smile and opens his mouth, taking the offered food, silently. Only after Jungkook swallows his first mouthful, does Taehyung proceed to eat his own. They share a bowl, Taehyung feeding Jungkook while the boy remains mute. And then they share another. And when he looks around, he sees Namjoon and Hoseok have roofed through their own first bowl, close to finishing their second.

 

Namjoon blows at every bite-ful before he places the noodles into Hoseok’s mouth. Talking quietly over the slurps. Explaining a tough equation. Wiping at his friend's lips because Hoseok’s eyes are fixed at the open textbook in front of him.

 

Taehyung smiles at the happy image before his eyes land on the alarm clock next to the bed. It's nearing 12 and Jimin is still not home.

 

*****

 

When Yoongi hobbles into the apartment it is way past midnight. He squints at the wall clock on the kitchen wall to see it reflect the time being 10 minutes to 2. The quiet snores that echo the living room tell him that Seokjin is sleeping on the couch. He bypasses the kitchen, having already had his dinner on his way back, and makes his way to the two bedrooms.

 

Peeking into the first bedroom, he can make out the steady up and downs of Namjoon’s chest, as he lies under the covers. “Hobi,” he calls out to the other boy, who is still working on his assignments. When the boy looks up, Yoongi can make out circles darker than his own coloring the lower lids of Hoseok’s eyes. He leans his head on the door and sighs with a smile. “Go to bed, Hobi. You can finish the rest in the morning.”

 

Hoseok, rubbing sleep away from his eyes, grins at the elder. “I will. Just let me get through this unit. I promise.”

 

Yoongi rolls his eyes and crosses the threshold of the room, towards Hoseok. He ruffles his fingers through the boy’s hair, carding his fingers in a calming manner until the boy closes his eyes for the briefest of moments. “Namjoon is waiting for you to sleep, Hobi. Don’t be up too late, okay?” He reminds the boy before turning around and exiting the bedroom.

 

As Hoseok watches the elder exit, he turns to eyes Namjoon sleeping in the bed. His hands, tightly clutching onto Hoseok’s night clothes. Hoseok closes his textbooks after that and curls up next to Namjoon’s sleeping form.

 

*****

 

Yoongi stands in front of the door for a little too long before his guts allow him to turn the handle. The last time he entered without a knock, Jimin and Taehyung were fighting after the elder had yelled at Jungkook for crying. He bites his lips and leans into the door. Taehyung is sleeping, snuggled under a strawberry hand-me-down blanket. The elder walks towards him and tucks the blanket under his feet, just like he knows he likes it, before making his way to the figure sitting on the window sill.

 

“Kookie?” Yoongi pats the boy’s head after calling his name out, and Jungkook turns to him with a serene smile. It’s serene, the smile Jungkook is sending his way; it’s not true. But, Yoongi will take what the boy is willing to give. He is thankful for even the boy’s fake smiles. Because it’s been days since he’s seen anything close to the real. The fact that Jungkook can fake it even, is immensely gratifying.

 

“You’re late?” Jungkook whispers and it hurts Yoongi. Because it’s been so long since Jungkook has spoken above the murmur he seems to have adopted since the incident. His real voice, Yoongi fears, is lost forever. “Where’s my treat?” There’s faux mischief in his voice but Yoongi is content with it too.

 

The elder chuckles before reaching into his jacket pocket and plucks out a chocolate bar. He teasingly pulls at the boy’s ears before shoving the sweet in his hands. “Here you go again, you brat.”

 

“Thankyou!” Jungkook whisper-yells. So very different than the loud declarations of gratitude Yoongi is used to. Then again, Jungkook isn't loud anymore. His presence, unlike previously, can no longer be felt in the room. Not until he's sought out.

 

They sit like that for a while. Jungkook biting into the candy, staring out the window at the steaming traffic that makes pink noise into the apartment in the wee hours of the night. The breeze that passes through the window, is not cool but stuffy and warm. The traffic under the window too loud but calming. Jungkook leans his head onto Yoongi’s shoulder and continues biting his chocolate, letting out a hum of delight from time to time.

 

And honestly, this is what Yoongi lives for. For Seokjin getting some well-deserved sleep. For Hoseok working hard enough to forget his troubles; Namjoon staying up with his friend until he can’t stay up anymore. Taehyung never losing his innocence and still being adamant about sleeping in the strawberry blanket even though he’s outgrown its length.

 

For Jungkook smiling for once when Yoongi isn’t looking.

 

“What are you thinking, Kookie?” Yoongi whispers into the boy’s hair. Bringing his arms up to rest on the boy’s shoulders. It’s calming the way the boy melts into the side embrace. “I know you’re thinking. I can almost hear it like static.”

 

“Jimin Hyung hasn’t come back yet, Hyung.”

 

*****

 

“Missing your lover boy again?” Yoongi smirks as he slides into the seat in the bus stop opposite the Academy building. He nudges Jimin’s shoulder and snickers a little too lightheartedly. “Why don’t you just go and tell him already. You’ve been staring at him for what? Five years now?”

 

Jimin looks away from the streams of students entering and exiting the academy building and looks at Yoongi who is staring at the scene himself. He watches the moonlight filtering through the glass shed of the bus stop as it falls sinfully, elegantly, over the elder’s face.

 

He smiles.

 

“It’s not a boy I come here for, Hyung,” Jimin smirks, rolling his eyes.

 

A shocked expression colors Yoongi’s features and he turns to the boy with raised eyes. “I thought you liked boys! You like girls

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter