Let Me Know - Part 1

Red Doored Residents
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They’re all gathered together sans Jimin, but no one’s speaking.

 

Hoseok keeps glancing impatiently at his wrist watch, willing time to quickly fly by so he has an excuse to leave. Tapping his feet, hoping Seokjin would speak up already. Namjoon is watching over the scene from the threshold of the living room. Feet angled towards the exit. Like he’s just waiting for Seokjin to bring up a topic that’ll make him leave.

 

Taehyung has dark circles under his eyes. His fists are clenched and jaw held tight. He looks tired. And suddenly all that weight he’d put on in the past few months seems to have evaporated in a week. He looks at Seokjin with expectant eyes. Muttering a silent prayer that he has news of Jimin.

 

Yoongi is there but barely. His eyes are hollow and a deep set frown sits upon his brow. He’s watching Jungkook fidget with the sleeves of his sweater. Biting his lips as his eyes keep darting between the elder boys.

 

“First thing’s first,” Seokjin begins. His voice holding not only authority but also detachment. “I was able to arrange that bail money for Jimin.”

 

Taehyung jumps to his feet at that and with a wide smile, drags himself towards Seokjin with a hopeful grin. “You were? Does that mean we can get Jimin out now?”

 

When Seokjin shakes his head in denial, it doesn’t take too long for Taehyung to deflate too. Seokjin watches Hoseok as he stops tapping his feet and eyes him for details. Namjoon is no different, all thoughts of leaving gone out of the window.

 

“What more do they need?” Namjoon asks after minutes of silently staring at each other.

 

Yoongi pats Seokjin’s shoulder as he explains, “they need an affidavit of security from an adult stating that Jimin will be under their watch and he will need to attend community service for juvenile offenders for at least a year once he’s bailed out.”

 

“That’s still better than the alternative” Hoseok mumbles. They stay quiet for a moment before the question that’s on everyone’s mind comes out. “Who’s gonna sign the affidavit?”

 

Seokjin heaves a sigh, his lips and wills the time to go slow as he places his elbows on the table he’s seated on, “I will… have my father sign for him.”

 

A moment stretches on between them as everyone in the room comes to term with what Seokjin has said. “Your… father?” Taehyung whispers in obvious shock. The looks on the other boy’s faces is not far from his own look of surprise.

 

“It’s a long story, Tae” Yoongi mumbles, ruffling the boy’s hair. “The good news is, his father has accepted to take custody of Jimin until he’s eighteen. In a month and few days, Jimin will become legal and Hyung’s father…” he trails off, looking at Seokjin to continue the train of thought, but when the elder doesn’t respond, he sighs and continues, “basically, Hyung’s father will let them go.”

 

“What do you mean by…” Namjoon begins, eyeing Seokjin instead of Yoongi. “What do you mean by ‘let them go’?”

 

Seokjin bites his lips because he’s tired now. He doesn’t have it in himself to lie to them about this. “He says he wants us to stay with him for as long as Jimin is under his custody.”

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me” Hoseok mutters under his breath, pushing himself up from the window sill he was seated up, storming over to Seokjin. “Where did your father even pop up from? I thought both your parents were dead! And what is all this about staying with him until Jimin’s legal!?” He grabs the elders collars and shakes the elder, much to the horror of Jungkook who’s watching the two elders with a guarded expression. “Are you seriously asking me to just say yes to all your bull!?”

 

The elder breathes in as if trying to calm himself before he speaks, “don’t be so difficult, Hoseok. Please.”

 

“What else should I be then?!” Hoseok yells back. Breathing angrily. “All of a sudden you have this father who is willing to sign legal documents for your friend who’s a potential criminal involved in drug trafficking. And you want me not ask you about all this?!”

 

Seokjin doesn’t respond back at that. He calmly removes Hoseok’s grasp from his jacket and heaves a sigh as he explains, “that is literally the least of your concerns.” He gives everyone in the room the same look, as if telling them to not question him about it anymore. “That is not what I wanted to discuss today.”

 

Silence reins amongst the group of friends that is soon filled with Namjoon’s voice. “What is it then, Hyung?” When Seokjin looks up at him, Namjoon nods his head and gestures the elder to continue. “What did you want to talk about if not your father or Jimin’s bail.”

 

The eldest friend steals his eyes away from the Namjoon and walks up to Jungkook. Ruffling boy’s hair, letting his fingers trail over his forehead to ease the frown away. “It’s Jungkook.”

 

“What about him?” Taehyung asks. Impatience beaming in his manners. Concern shines in the boy’s eyes and Seokjin can only smile weakly at the boy before continuing.

 

Biting his lips, and watery-eyed, “we can’t… we can’t take him with us.”

 

“Hyung!” Jungkook finally speaks. Grabbing onto Seokjin’s hands desperately. Shaking his head stubbornly. “No! I- I don’t wanna!”

 

The other boys stare helplessly at the scene of their eldest and youngest friend. Jungkook weeping as Seokjin cries, embracing the boy. “It’s only for a few weeks, Jungkook.” He hastens to explain, “It’s only until Jimin’s birthday. He’ll be eighteen and then, we’ll get back together.”

 

“No!” The boy shrieks,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter