Danger

Red Doored Residents
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoseok stares blankly at the letter he’d picked up from the mailbox that morning. It’s in the middle of the night and he hasn’t opened it. The shivering excitement that he’s expect would accompany him in the moment, seems to be missing. He can’t bring himself to smile. Simply stares at the pink letter signed from Jung Yebin.

 

“Hobi?” Namjoon calls from behind him and he is quick to shove the offending yet inviting letter under a calculus textbook. He turns to the other boy with a smile and pretends to be rubbing his eyes out of slumber. Namjoon isn’t fooled however. The simpled boy leans on his elbows and lets his head drop to his shoulder as he asks, “why are you up? Couldn’t sleep?”

 

The elder boy shakes his head pleasantly before switching off the night lamp sitting on his study table and drags his feet across the carpet towards the bunk bed. When he reaches bed he looks up at Namjoon lying at the top bunk before staring at the bottom bunk that is currently empty. Namjoon watches how he bites his lips before sighing and settling into the mattress on the lower bunk. A whispered “goodnight” echoes after that.

 

They lie still like that for a while before Namjoon moves. There’s a cold block of emotions settling around them. In the quiet room, that Namjoon wants to melt before it freezes them. He climbs down the ladder and without a word of permission to Hoseok, pushes his way next to Hoseok’s lying form.

 

It’s like no exchange of words is needed after that. Hoseok settles himself in the crook of Namjoon’s neck as the boy cradles his friend’s body in a side embrace. The warmth that their bodies emit is more than enough to dispel the cold that had taken hold of them.

 

****

 

Seokjin eyes the different colors and shapes of balloon packets that line the convenience store shelf with unbridled confusion and excitement. He reaches out for a packet of bright green but shakes his head remembering that the boy’s favorite color is light blue. After almost an hour of steaming his head off about which colored party balloons he should buy, Seokjin ends up buying blue, pink and red party balloons, of which the red ones are those long noodle balloons.

 

He wonders if he should try learning how to make balloon animals. Jungkook would love that he tells himself as he places the money in the cashier’s hand.

 

As he is exiting the convenience store with more party supplies than he had actually intended to buy, Seokjin can’t help but giggle giddily. He can’t wait to get back home.

 

****

 

Jungkook stares at the endless the party supplies that Seokjin drops in their living hall.

 

The elder had left to get groceries from all Jungkook had been told about, but here he is now, carrying not only groceries but also streamers and banners and a bakery bag. Jungkook is awestruck at the sheer number of streamers the elder pulls out of the plastic bags. He doesn’t think he’s ever even seen these many balloons at once. And he’s pretty damn sure he’s never seen party banners, even back at the orphanage where they celebrated birthdays collectively. One birthday party for everyone born in the same month.

 

A smile.

 

Seokjin wishes the others were there then, because Jungkook spills the most beautiful smile he’s seen the fifteen year old ever give. Shining eyes that flit over the display of goodies, Seokjin had brought. Hands reaching out for the dozens of lollipops and candies that litter their apartment floor. The flush lips, that Jungkook has taken to biting these days, letting out kinkling giggles when he sees the cake Seokjin pulls out from the bakery bag. He wishes the others could hear the tinkling laughter that issues from the younger boy’s lips. Like wind chimes swaying in the wind.

 

“Let’s decorate the house before they get back home, Kookie,” Seokjin declares earning an ecstatic nod from the boy who’s already tearing open a packet of blue polka dotted balloons. And they get to work.

 

****

 

“I don’t know who Jimin is.” Taehyung bites back when he’s pushed into one of the gym lockers. Gritting his teeth when one of the three men encaging him, slam the locker behind him.

 

The black haired man that seems to be the leader growls at Taehyung before shooting a punch into Taehyung's gut. Taehyung bowls over, a strangled cry of pain escapes his lips as he falls to his knees. “You do know who he is, .” The bulky one next to the black haired one gruffs. He kicks the boy’s sides, earning a wince from him and crouches down in front of Taehyun. Pulling at his hair brutally as he continues, “we’ve seen you come to school with him. Where is he?”

 

Even through the pain, Taehyung can sense the danger headed Jimin’s way. The way these men are looking at him, makes him gulp as he, once again, shakes his head. “I have no idea what y- you’re going o- on about.” He winces once again when tastes the blood.

 

Another kick. Another punch. A few more hits and they stop.

 

He’s bloodied by the time their boss crouches next to his eyes. Slapping his face lazily the man smirks, “tell him to return my money when you see him, okay?” The man steps on an open wound on Taehyung’s face, rubbing the heel of his shoes into the bloodied opening. “Or else, we’ll be back.”

 

****

 

“When are you coming back?” Seokjin asks over his phone, Jungkook jumping cheerily in the background. “Alright, then. Tae and Jimin are gonna take the school bus. So could you pick up Hobi and Namjoon from college then?” He must have received an affirmative answer, because he hangs up soon with a “okay. Come back soon, then.”

 

“He’ll be so surprised!!!” Jungkook yells out loud as soon as Seokjin hangs up. So loud, that Seokjin is inclined to believe that Jungkook had been holding it in for centuries to scream out his excitement. He can’t wait for the other to see Jungkook like he is now.


“He sure is!” Seokjin yells back, just excited. The twenty year old ruffles Jungkook’s hair and with sparkling eyes, suggests. “Let’s go buy a gift for him then! Before they get back, hmm?”

 

****

 

Namjoon looks at the letter that Hoseok holds out to him as the two wait in the parking lot for Yoongi to come pick them up. It’s been less than a month since he’s got his driver's permit,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter