Short Ribs

Mismatched Lovers
I sat staring at Jae Rim as he took customer's order. I could no longer focus on my work but I also didn't want to leave without telling him an answer. I want to say yes, I really do. But am I too young for his? I'm only a first year in high school. I should be focusing on studying and debuting. After 20 more minutes of laying out the pros and cons of saying yes, I started to pack my things and head over to the counter. I signal him to meet me outside. 
"So is it a 'yes'?" he said as he took his cap off and brushed his fingers through his hair. 
"Look, I want to say 'yes' but I'm not sure. I'm only a first year in high school and you're a little older" I said.
"Ok, not that much older. I'm a 2nd year high college."
"That's 4 years...... my brother would never approve". 
"Come on Ji Hee. I'll be good to you."
"This is literally the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen you. I don't know if I can trust you yet." I said.
"There's no other way I can convince you to go on at least one date with me?" he asked.
"Sorry....."
"Ok, how about this. We just hang out as friends. You can bring your friends and I can bring mine. We'll just eat food and watch movies and stuff".
"Don't expect anything about of this though. I can't promise you anything".
"Yeah of course. Just as friends."
"Ok. Cool. I'd like that a lot actually. I need to meet more people here. My classmates are stupid. You should get back to work. It looks like your boss is looking for you".
"Wait! Your number" he said as he pulled out his phone.
I typed in my name and number and gave him the phone.
"I'll call you tonight. You better pick up!" he said as he went back into the cafe.
 

 

"HE WHAT?!?!!" So Eun yelled.
"SHH!" I sushed.
"Sorry." She whispered. "So, you're telling me the hottest guy in Seoul asked you out. And you said 'no'?!?!" 
"Keep it down!. But yes" I said as I looked around the classroom to see if anyone was listening.
"WHYYY???"
"Because, my brother would kill me".
"Oh please. That is the stupidest excuse I've ever heard. What kind of a teenager are you".
"And he's too old"
"Old my . He's in college. So what. He's mature".
"And...." My company would never allow out. I need to focus on debuting. and passing chemistry.
"And what?".
"Nothing".
"Ugh Ji Hee. You're killing me! I could be living my fantasies through you!".
"I agreed to hang out with him as friends. That should be good enough for you right?"
"It's not the same. BUT! Maybe you'll change your answer. So in a way it is" she said as if she was coming up with an extravagant plan in her head. 
-DING-
I read my phone and it's Jae Rim. I thought he'd text me that day he asked me out. But he hasn't texted me all weekend until now. I'm so confused. 
"He just texted me". I showed her my phone.
"OH MY GOD!" She grabs it and starts reading it. "'Hey, let's hang out tonight. There's this really good Soondoobu place near the cafe. You can bring So Eun if you want.' OH MY GOD JI HEE!"
"Calm down!" I quickly take my phone and a few people are staring. Especially So Ra. "What should I say?"
"'YES' of course! At least do it for me. I need to se ethat beautiful body of his out of that tacky univform" she said excitedly. 
"Are you guys talking about that hot guy from the cafe?" So Ra says as she walked  over.
"Mind your own business So Ra" So Eun said.
"Be careful. He's dangerous. He dated one of my unni's from dance class and I did not hear good things about him. She cried for months".
"Really?" I asked.
"Yeah. Just warning you." She said as she walked away.
"Don't pay attention to her. She just likes to show off and make people jealous."  she said. "well, what are you waiting for. Answer him".
 
ME: It sounds good. We get off at 3 so we can meet you at around 4.
JAE RIM: sounds good! :)
 

 

"Sorry we're late! Ji Hee couldn't stop asking the teacher questions. What a nerd" So Eun says as she sits down infront of Jae Rim.
"Hey, I really need to pass" I said as I sat next to her. 
"It's ok. So, you guys know what you want?"
"Just the combo." So Eun said.
"um....... the combo too" I said.
"Ok" he waves down the ahjumma and orders for us. Our food comes a few minutes later and we all dig in.
"oh my god. this is good" I say.
"See, told you. Here, try this" He picks up some rice and a piece of short rib with his spoon and proceeds to feed me. 
I hestitated for a bit and quickly grabbed the spoon from him and took a bit. 
"wow, their beef is so tender and juicy" I say. 
"Can I try some?" So Eun asks.
"yeah sure" He picks up some rice and a piece of short rib and proceeds to feed her and she takes a bite with no hesitation. 
"MMMM this is so good" she says. 
"Glad you two like it. What are you're plans for today?"
"Well, we were going to go to the cafe to study for a few hours and then I have to go to the hagwon at 7. And I think Ji Hee is just going home. Right?" So Eun says.
"uh..... yeah."
"oh. sounds fun. Maybe I should start studying too."
"What's your major?" I asked.
"Electrical Engineering" He says.
"wow, you're smart" So Eun says.
"How do you juggle school and modeling AND work?" I asked.
"It's hard but right now work comes first. I need to make enough money to live so my grades aren't the best right now. But i'm planning to take less units next semester".
"That's cool". I say. "I could never do that". 
"Yeah. I could never do that too. You're so independent" So Eun says.
"Thanks. I guess" Jae Rim says as he scratches his head. 
We finish our meals and Jae Rim accompanies us to the cafe.
"I'll see you two another time" He says.
"Text us!" So Eun yells. 
We order our drinks and sit down.
"I still can't believe you said no to THAT!" So Eun says.
"I have boundaries" I say.
"Yeah, well I don't. And if he asked me, I'd pounce on him right away. But he only has eyes for you?"
"No he doesn't. He looks like a player."
"Ji Hee, he kepts staring at you even though you barley talked".
"You'r ejust making things up. Let's stop talking about this. We need to do well."
"Yes mom." she says as she opens her book.
Did I make a mistake?