Meeting You for the First Time

Mismatched Lovers

“Hey, wanna study with me this weekend?” I asked So Eun.

“Why are you always studying…. Remember, we were going to hang out with Dong Gun and his band this weekend…..”

“Oh yeah. Sorry… I forgot…”

“What’s been up with you lately?” She asked in a concerned look.

“Nothing..” It’s just that there’s now 6 of us and they want to eliminate one more before even thinking about debut.

“Ok. Meet at my mom’s street vending place. We’re gonna hang out there. We might go karaoke after. I don’t know yet”.

“oh, ok. I might have to leave early though. I need to help my brother out at the restaurant”.

“Ugh, you’re brother needs to hire people”

“Yeah, he’s too cheap. Also, he brought home another girl the other day but this time it seems serious. It’s weird…”

“OMG. Your brother?!?! The horndog?!!? No offense”

“None taken. But right?!?! Like I’m as shocked as you are. I mean she seems like. White. Super American. I wonder how they met”.

“You gotta open up to him. Especially if he’s changing”.

“I want to. But it’s just awkward….”

“Hey Ji Hee. Does your brother really own that BBQ place in itaewon?” So Ra asked.

“Hey So Ra. And it’s poppin!” So Eun says.  

“Yeah we, my parents went there the other day and they didn’t like it”.

“Yeah well that’s your opinion. Wait. It’s not even your own opinion so just focus on your group. Cuz I’m pretty sure you’re dragging them down” I say.

“OHHHHHH” the whole class whispers.

She walks away.

“Was I too harsh?” I ask So Eun

“nah, she deserves it.” Zico says as he passes us walking to his desk.

 

After class, So Eun left early to help her mom out. I head towards the subway station and Zico comes up next to me.

“So you support Hyukoh but not me?” He says.

“What are you talking about?”

“You went to Hyukoh’s concert but not mine”

“Omg…”

“I see where you put your priorities” he says.

“Yeah my studies. Look, I supported you like 3 times, when are you going to support me?”

“I do! I let you perform with me”

“Yeah but you don’t help me sell my music!”

“Hey! I can’t. Oh, congrats though. You haven’t debut yet but you’re selling music”.

“You are too.”

“oh yeah… well, you get the point” he says. “But they’re a good band huh?”

“Who? Hyukoh? Yeah, and pretty different. I like it. We need more people like them”

“Do they know about your situation?”

“I think so. I contacted the leader once through an email trying to sell my music but I don’t know if he knows it’s me or not”.

“Man. You have one hidden life” he says.

“And I try to keep it that way! So shush!” I say.

 

 

 

--------------------(Later that weekend)------------------

 

ME: Hey, I’m almost there.

SO EUN: Sorry! I’m running a little late. Dong Gun is taking forever.

ME: Wait, you’re waiting for him. Are you sure you guys aren’t dating?!?!

SO EUN: Shutup…. We aren’t official. IDK…. Why can’t he just ask me out D:

ME: maybe today’s the day!

SO EUN: pray for me!

 

I get out of the subway and great So Eun’s mom.

“Haven’t seen you in a while! How are you” She asks.

“I’ve been fine. Busy studying that’s all”

“Please tell my daughter that. All she does is talk on the phone and play games”

“I will. Don’t worry”

“What would you like?”

“Just 1 order of ddeukbokki and cider please” I ask.

“Ok. Take a seat! I think one person is here. He ask for So Eun.” She says as she points to the corner.

I look to where she is pointing and there’s one of the band members sitting with Hotteok in his hand. I walk over and great him.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you. I'm Oh Hyuk" he said.
"Hi. It's nice to meet you too. I'm a huge fan of your work. Oh, I’m Ji Hee by the way." I said
"Thanks. Same goes for you. Come have a seat. Everyone should be here anytime soon"

---Ugh Soeun. Where are you. This is so awkward. Where should I sit? Will it be uncomfortable if I sit too close. But I don't want to see rude if I sit to far.----

"So how do you know soeun?" he asked as I grabbed the seat next to him.
"We were in the same class. She talked to me first and I guess we sort of hit it off since then".
"I see..... hm.... why is everyone so late today" he said as he scratched his shaven head.

This is the first time I've encountered someone with such a rough physical appearance. I never saw his pictures but his voice and face definitely do not match. But there's something about him that intrigues me.

“Wait, you know who I am?” I ask.

“Yeah, you gave me some of your demos the other day right?”
“yeah…”

“I liked them. I gave some to primary. I hope that’s cool with you. I told him to contact you if he’s interested.”

“OMG you did?!?! Thanks! But don’t tell So Eun. She doesn’t know about my situation yet.”

“What situation?”

“You know, me being a trainee. Or just in the music industry in general.”

“ohhhh… ok. Yeah. I wont tell anyone. Don’t worry”.

As he lit his cigarette soeun and donggun finally came.

 

“Sorry!” She says.

“What took you guys so long” I asked.

“There was traffic” she says. “and we couldn’t find parking”.

“You drove?” Ohhyuk asked Dong Gun.

“Yeah. I always drive”. He says.

“no you don’t-“ Dong gun elbowed him to shut up.

I look at So Eun and she looks extra smiley. I give her the eye to tell me what happened and she mouths later.

“MOM! Odeng please! And coke!” She yells.

Her mom comes towards us and gives me my order. “okay. Don’t have to yell. Jeez.”

“love you” she tells her mom. “So, where’s the rest of the group?” she asks.

“They’re almost here. They missed the stop” Dong Gun says.

“Oh” Ohhyuk says as he looks up and we all turn around and the other two members and arrive.

“Where’s your girlfriend Dong Gun asks”

“She had to finish a project.”

“Oh, where are my manners. Everyone, this is Ji Hee, my best friend”.

“Hi, nice to meet you guys” I say giving a small bow.

“So are you two in the same class?” In Woo asks.

“Yeah. How about you guys. How’d you all meet?” I ask.

“Well, he came from China and was doing bandwork himself. Then I met him through friends and now, it just sort of happened.” Hyun Jae said.

 

After eating, So Eun suggests to go karaoke.

“sorry… I have to study” I say.

“come on Ji Hee! Don’t make me the only girl!” ‘

“you can study with me” I say.

“Please….. just 1 hour! Promise!” Then she whispers, “I have stuff to tell you”.

“fine. 1 hour”.

 

We had a blast karaokeing. Oh Hyuk’s voice was heavenly and everyone just had fun.

“It was nice meeting all of you” I say.

“We should do it again!” So Eun says.

“Did you girls need a ride?” Dong Gun asks.

“No, I think we’re good. Thanks though!” I say.

“Ok, see you girls another day” In Woo says.

Ohhyuk gives a short small bow and Hyun Jae waves as he’s singing away.

We both leave the place and walk towards the subway.

“He doesn’t speak much does he?” I ask So Eun.

“Who? Oh Hyuk? No, not really. He’s usually just sitting there”.

“But he’s got such a great voice. I mean that was expected out of him”

“yeah, he’s really talented. I’m more surprised of you. You got a voice girl!” She nudges.

“You know, pure talent” I say flipping my hair. “so… about Dong Gun?”
“OH! So he picked me up right, and I opened the door he just said hi and behind him were a dozen roses and he’s like ‘So Eun, I know we’ve known each other for a while and I know we are just friends. But recently I’ve been really into you… and…. Well… would you be my girlfriend’. And I said yes.”

“AHHHHHH finally! Ugh, I’m so jealous of you….”

“Hey, you have Jae Rim!”

“Ugh, oh yeah….”

“Why? What happened?”

“Nothing.” I say. “It’s just that I don’t see him as much as I want to. You know? And he’s a lot older so I feel like I’m too immature”

“Girl, you are the most mature person I know. You need to learn to live a little!”