SIXTEEN.

Runaway You

Seungcheol drove you back to the hospital after both of you had lunch at a ramen restaurant nearby. While you were chatting and heading to your grandmother’s room, a nurse just left out of the room. Your eyes met hers.

“Excuse me,” You politely called and the nurse bowed to you, “have my grandmother been checked? How is her condition now?” You asked as Seungcheol was standing behind you.

“Are you Cho Eunhee?” you nodded in response. She smiled warmly before said, “Doctor wanted to talk to you in his room.”

You exchanged a glance with Seungcheol, sent him a confusion thought to him to be read; your sensitivity aroused, would it be something bad? The nurse expression might not be clueing something bad, but she just didn’t trust her yet. Seungcheol signed you to follow the nurse instead.

“Please follow me.” The nurse ordered.

You looked at Seungcheol once again as he whispered, “I’ll wait here.” You nodded.

The doctor’s room was a block away from your grandmother’s room. The nurse knocked on the door and asked for doctor’s permission before she let you in. He was facing his desktop computer, analyzing something like lungs. You can tell by the reflection on his oversized spectacles. When you entered he sorted out his desk and greeted you with friendly smile. You bowed deeply.

“Cho Eunhee right?” His asked calmly with a heart-dropping smile. You didn’t feel like saying a word but a nod again. “Have a seat please.”

He read his computer screen once again as if needed to get himself sure once again about what he was going to say. He wouldn’t dare to give a false examination to his patient.

“So, I am Lee Jihoon the doctor in charge for Mrs. Cho.” When you were done adjusting your seat, he started to speak without hesitation.

He was a smart doctor who could analyze a patient condition whole fully yet he could deliver the information to layman like you comfortably. You were grateful at his easy explanation. He was also good liquefy the consulting session as well.

When you are done talking with the doctor, he let you visited your grandmother, led by the nurse. In front of her chamber, Seungcheol was busy playing with his phone. He noticed you first before you arrived.

“What did the doctor say?” he asked curiously. Instead of heading directly to the chamber, you noticed some peculiar mimic of Seungcheol that you didn’t know how to interpret.

“He said about halmeoni’s updated condition. She’s getting better, she just need a lot of rest now.” You told him.

“Oh,” His voice weakened when he couldn’t find your eyes as you talked, he pressed his lips into a firm line, “your…grandmother was looking for you inside.” He told you.

Without further ado, you rushed into the chamber and found a chair next to her bed.

“Halmeoni, it’s Eunhee. I was worried.” You held her hand as you nearly cried.

She weakly smiled and held your hand with both of her hands, “I’m sorry for making you worry. I’m fine.”

“Don’t be sorry, please. Please get well soon, halmeoni.” You said almost sounds like demanding child.

Seungcheol was standing behind you and corner of his lips perked up.

“Seungcheol…”

He instinctively neared both of you, “yes, halmeoni?”

“thank you for always staying by her side,” her smiled melted him. it had been a while since he revoked his grandmother.

He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. “Your welcome, halmeoni. I will let you two talk. If you need something I’ll be outside.”

Seungcheol beamed at you before he left. You didn’t really get it, but he was apparently hiding something from you.

“Halmeoni, do you want to eat something?” You turned your attention toward her. She shook her head merely.

“Eunhee, there is something I want to tell you, it’s about him.”

Your eyebrows attached on the center, you suddenly caught off guard and stiffened. Did she know about Seungcheol’s past already? You felt your heart beats paced.

“What about Seungcheol?”

“He is a very good guy. Whenever I see him, your father’s image came into my mind, reminds me of when he was young and fell in love with your mother. He was an unexpected guy and full of surprise.”

You beamed as you imagined your father’s image in Seungcheol. He must be an insensitive and clueless guy, “Then, how did father married mother?”

“He once cried all night long, because your mother rejected him. Me, as a mother only could encouraged him. He never told me anything afterward until one day I saw him working in the middle of the night. I thought it was work stuff but next morning I was surprised that it was for his proposal.” Your grandmother giggled happily. Her face be brighter and wrinkled in happiness.

You watched her in relieve, it had been a long time since you saw her laughing wholeheartedly like that and especially because of Seungcheol. Your grandmother made you forgot that he was troublesome in the past to you.

-

It was already dark; you accidentally fell asleep next to her bed after you assured your grandmother to stay here tonight. Seungcheol entered the room after he left somewhere for some errands. He found you uncomfortably sleeping with a hand propping your head as a pillow and the other loosely on your stomach. Seungcheol was too itched to woke you up and asked you to go out for dinner instead.

You rubbed your eyes lazily, still arranging yourself. Then, your stomach grumbled wildly, you couldn’t hold your hunger anymore.

“Come and get some street food before your stomach erupted another wrath.” He scoffed naughtily.

You couldn’t tell if he saw a difference, but you were currently looking at him coldly with your half opened eyes. He couldn’t hold any giggle at your cuteness, he released it by the back your hair softly.

Apparently, your eyes are still half-opened when both of you walked to the nearest street stall near the hospital. Seungcheol ordered you water and a bottle of soju for him. And again, you felt he mistreated you as a vulnerable woman who couldn’t even hold a bottle of wine.

“why do you give me water meanwhile you order soju? Is this a kind of insult, Choi Seungcheol?” You took a glass of water next to you and gulped a bit of water. He only blinked in bewilderment.

“what do you want then?” he asked. “a soju?”

“I didn’t mean that. Just let me order for myself.” You looked like a nagging auntie at the moment and Seungcheol found it amusing.

“okay! Sure.”

Next, you asked for a meal and a soju as well, while Seungcheol became silent out of sudden. He only tapped the table and poured several times into her cup then stared at the other direction.

When both of your meals came, he didn’t bother by his food as well, kept staring at the other place. You acted nonchalantly and took a sip of your soju.

“Yah. Will you be my girlfriend?”

You choked amount of water into your nose. You felt your nose are burning painfully. Back into reality, you heard Seungcheol guffawed in satisfaction while grabbing his pain stomach. That time you realized it was all his deed.

You almost spouted him with water but yours was empty. You smacked the table hardly, sending him dangerous glare, “YAH! ARE YOU CRAZY?!” You shouted furiously.

Still giggling, Seungcheol wiped his tear out of his eyes, “Yah. It was supposed to be a romantic drama acting, you know?”

You threw him a questioning yet cold look while wiping your face with tissue paper. He pointed his finger toward a screen on the ceiling. It is apparently a romantic drama scene, where the male characters confessed to his crush romantically.

You pushed the chair back fiercely and made an excuse to the bathroom. You dried your wet clothed on the drier and clean the mess.

You mumbled on your way back to the table but you paused your steps looking to where you’re supposed to sit was already occupied by another girl. You blinked few times made sure you look into right place and you gaped to see the same boy you were going out with.

They were currently having a soundly-fun conversation when you appeared. The girl was busy talking nonstop to Seungcheol but he cut when you came.

“Eunhee. This is—” He just started to talk but the girl intervened.

“This must be the girl you were talking about right, oppa?” She grinned innocently towards you, made your head spun in confusion.

 


Author Note:

HELLO AGAIN, I'M BACK. AFTER A YEAR OF COURSE.

CAN TAKE LONGER TIME THAN THIS HIATUS?? HAHAHA.