FOUR.

Runaway You

 

It’s been 3 days since the last time you met Seungcheol. You kind of have moved on and got over him slowly. You are relieved that everything are getting back to normal again. You told your grandmother that he had come back to Seoul because his trip is already over. You feel disgusted to lie to an old woman. But you have no choice after all.

Since that incidents, rumors are coming back and forth. Polices were being more wary and aggressive around your neighborhood, they still securing the neighborhood, preventing from another brutal act of gangs. You always acted nonchalant every time people talked about the incident. You were afraid they would found out something.

“Halmeoni, good morning.” You embraced your grandmother from behind while smelling her flowery scents. She brushed your hands gently before continues arranging flowers.

“Good morning, Eunhee-ya” she beamed.

You stopped her to take her hand and brushed her palm, you felt her skin is wrinkled and a little bit rough because of her work at the garden. You felt guilty towards her, “Your hands are still smooth as always, halmeoni.” You complimented.

“Haha, I’m old already, they’re wrinkled very much.” She knew you tried to cheer her up. You just don’t know that you’re very bad at lying.

“You need to take care of your health and beauty more, halmeoni.” You pouted.

“Arasso, arasso. My dear daughter. But among health and beauty, the most important is kindness and inner beauty, you must not forget it,”

“Yes, halmeoni.” You hugged her tightly, like she’s the most precious treasure in the world. You don’t know what would happen if she’s not there for you.

“Halmeoni since it is weekend, how about we go to market and take a walk downtown?” you suggested, your grandmother thought about it for a while before she agreed and both of you got agreed.

By bus, you and your grandmother went downtown. It’s slightly far from your house and your grandmother is not strong anymore, by the time you arrived at the destination you visit few shops, rather than calling it luxurious shops like in Seoul or Gangnam, people call it market instead, everything was on sale and didn’t waste your money.

You checked on some new clothes, since winter is coming you thought you need a new sweater now. You looked around the winter clothes section and saw lots of pretty stuffs you want to own. But you thought it would waste your money to buy secondary stuffs.

Looking through a wardrobe to another, finally you found blouse that caught your eyes. It is baby blue and white, oversized on your body but you look good on that.

You finally showed it to your grandmother and she looked happy, “That one is really pretty. Go buy it, Eunhee-ya.” She complimented made you want to have it.

You decided to buy it instead. When you go to the cashier you saw a pretty magenta scarf on a mannequin. It looks good to see your grandmother wear it. But then you changed your mind.

*how can I buy a 25 dollars scarf by myself. But I really want to give her that. I thought I have to save even more.*

You are slightly disappointed that you couldn’t afford anything for your grandmother. Even though she didn’t ask for it, you really want to present her that.

Finally, day almost change to night. You and your grandmother are tired already and decided to go home. While you were walking down the street, you get different sense around. Your neighbors weren’t gathering around the crime scene and it looked like the police had gone. You have feeling have Seungcheol got caught?

You know your heart is anxious because of it.

Night finally came again. You had special meal today. Your grandmother bought something new from the market and she cooked it into delicious cooking. You full your stomach until you can’t move.

It was time to go to bed. You were laying on the living room when someone banged on your door, you were startled. Who could that be? You tried your best to stay calm and approached the door.

You felt your feet are wobbly and your eyes were going to pop out soon. Seeing a guy who used to be arrested now, appeared in front of your eyes.

“Seungcheol?” You uttered unconsciously.

Now he was hardly standing in front of your door with one of his feet leaned on the frame while his right hand covered his torn jeans, full of blood.

“I was robbed.” He answered what came first in your mind before you could utter it. “And, someone tried to kill me again…” he continued with difficulty, the pain on his foot became unbearable.

However, your brain admitted not to fall into stranger anymore, but since it is Seungcheol who seemed suffering a lot you immediately slung his hand around your neck and supported him inside your house. You attentively sat him on the couch and lifted his foot on the small table.

“Are you okay, let me see the wound?” You gulped as you kneeled next to him and he removed his hand carefully. You ripped his jeans a little so you could get a better vision toward the wound.

You observed the wound thoroughly, luckily it wasn’t deep, probably knife cuts. “It’s not deep, let’s go to hospital now.” He grabbed your wrist and gave you begging look.

“Don’t go to hospital, police will discover me.” He begged.

“But your wound need to be treated.”

“Just give some ointment or something, but not hospital.” Because his willful request, your heart soften and complied him.

“Wait here.”

You went to the kitchen where your grandmother was, you told everything about Seungcheol emergence that he need some help. Fortunately, your grandmother understood. She was worry instead. She followed you to the living room and met Seungcheol. He struggled to stand up, but failed.

“Just sit down, young man. I will help you, where’s hurt?” she asked gently and without panic.

Seungcheol tapped the cut area. Then, she asked you to take the first aid kit. You immediately prepared everything she needs. With your help, your grandmother treated his wound professionally. Without your knowledge she was actually a nurse in a hospital when she was young.

“Why didn’t you go to hospital instead, you could’ve get better treatment there?” she said after tied bandages around his leg.

Seungcheol gulped, his face turned blank. Then you stood up for him, “Uh, Seungcheol just got robbed and all his money was vanished, Halmeoni. I will take him to hospital tomorrow.” Luckily your grandmother believe.

“Poor, young man. I wish the thief could be punished soon. Eunhee-ya, I think he need a place to stay. There’s one blanket left for him.” Your grandmother ordered you.

Seungcheol just touched by her kindness. He felt guilty for lying to her few days ago. But he has no choice but to keep quiet. “Are you sure it’s okay, Halmeoni? I can stay in the h—Ouch!” he yelped when you elbowed his stomach to shut you up.

“It is fine, Seungcheol-ah, we were friends anyway. You can stay here tonight.” You faked a smile towards him.

*Don’t you dare tell my grandmother that you had stayed here? If she does, I will make you walk with a leg* you sent him an ice daggers look that scared him.

*This girl may be cute, but I can’t believe she hides demon inside that innocence.*