NINE.

Runaway You

 

Your back was so sore and you can’t move a bit because someone else was laying on top of you. He was none other than Seungcheol, tried to protect you from the falling bricks.

“Are you okay?” you were just seconds ago willing to ask that to him but he always the first to ask you. You nodded, not a single word came from your lips.

Both of you stood up before realizing the crowded environment. There are 4 pieces of bricks next to Seungcheol. You suddenly felt terrified thinking about what could happen if he wasn’t there to save you.

“T-thank you, Seungcheol. I don’t know what could happen if you weren’t there.” You startled still looking down at those bricks.

He protectively grabbed your shoulders and said, “As long as you are okay,” you nodded in approval.

Then, a middle aged man rushed to both of you, “Are you alright? I’m sorry about this accident it was all my workers fault. Shall we go to hospital?”

You noticed Seungcheol’s cold stare was pointed at the man, you know he’s about to blow up anytime soon. But you tucked his shirt instead, he looked down at you, “Are you sure you are okay, Eunhee?” he reassured.

“I’m fine, no need to go to the hospital.” You confessed meekly.

The man still looked worried, “Thank God. I am very sorry about that. Next time if something happen please call me on this number, I will take all the responsibilities.” He expanded his arm to pass his name card to Seungcheol.

He quickly snatched it from him without saying anything. You and he decided to go home directly.

You don’t know what could go wrong in the world. But after the falling bricks accident, Seungcheol become silent in the house. He just did what he should do and what you or your grandmother told him to do. When he finished he would go to the hut and sat there without doing anything important.

You didn’t understand, somehow you craved to ask him, “Not fair, having leisure time on your own.” you opened up the conversation between you and him from the door.

He looked up at you, this time with looking-fine stare, “Yeah, the weather is nice.”

You joined him to the hut after you sure he was in mood to communicate with you, “What were you thinking?” you sat next to him.

“Do I look like I am thinking?” He frowned, didn’t get what you mean by the question.

“Yeah, I saw you didn’t talk much after what happened at the market and I assumed you were thinking about something I don’t know.”

He chuckled a bit, “You have a point in your assumption but the fact I wasn’t thinking, more like planning.”

“What plan?”

“Stuffs.” He ended.

With that answer, you got a sign that he refuse to be open to you about what you thought was the reason of his silences.

Finally, the sun set and the moon rose to the sky. After three of you had meal together in the living room, every each of you separated to do different things. Until 9 o’clock as usual, your grandmother had gone sleep.

You sat in the living room, in front of the couch where Seungcheol usually slept on. Studied your habits, he knows that you would not sleep just to watch over him tonight.

“Did I intervene your life with my presence in this house?” Seungcheol started up with small voice.

“Huh? At the first time, yes.”

“Is it still now?”

You paused for a while to think, “No. Sometimes your presence was helpful but sometimes it .” You tried to grin.

“I see. That’s why you still persisted to watch over me at night, you were scared I might be troublesome when I sleep.” He looked away from you, disappointed.

“No. That’s not it.”

“Then why?”

Crap. You can’t find appropriate answer to answer his question. You tried your best not to look rhetorical. Because the deeper you asked to yourself. Among the most possible answer was always because watching him sleep was enough feeding you from impassivity inside your heart. He had already has a little spot in your heart. But you hate to admit that.

“I will never go to the restaurant again to say you can’t attend for work if you were sick because you lacked of sleep.” He threatened you and laid his body to the couch and shut his eyes closed before waiting for your reaction.

On the other hand, you waited and thought about what you should do. Eventually, you decided to go to your bedroom and dozed off. A day off watching him for sleep wasn’t a bad idea either.

You woke up earlier than usual and your body gained so much energy than before. Nothing bad happen in your house and morning started peacefully, with a greeting from your grandmother from the kitchen.

One thing you forgot, Seungcheol isn’t around the house. You decided to ask your grandmother, “Where did he go, halmeoni?” you rubbed your eyes because you still sleepy.

“He said he is going out today, he didn’t say where did he go but he said he will be back maybe at night.” Your grandmother answered.

That brings out question for yourself, *It wasn’t like him. He was so quiet yesterday and now he went in the early morning. What actually happened to him*

“Oh and he told me he will help you delivery the flower today so you can directly go to work, Eunhee.”

“Really? He did that, how did he know where is the flower shop?”

“He didn’t tell you anything?” You shook your head in confusion, “He followed you few days ago to help you with the flowers he said.”

“No, I didn’t know he followed me.”

Your grandmother continued to cook while saying, “He must be done it surreptitiously.”

“Did he tell you why?”

“No. But I thought he really intended to help you. He is very kind and helpful,” Your grandmother must have been presumed everything on him is always good. Sometimes you wanted to scoff him in front of your innocent grandmother, but it was a bad idea to ruin his image after everything he did. (You mean the good reputation not the bad ones)

You went to work after you had breakfast with your grandmother. You were perplexed of Seungcheol behavior and rather baffled of him not telling you anything before he go. Did he plan to run away again and don’t come back or did he do something that you can’t guess, and it’s frustrating you from the top of your hair to the top of your toes.

When you arrived at the restaurant, it was still closed and your boss must have a lot of task for you. She would command you to wash the dishes, clean the tables, mop the floor or the worst is you have you wash the bbq chimney on the roof.

But when you entered the restaurant, you were greeted by a sudden heart attack.

“CHO EUNHEE!!”