two

Curious Days of Youth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

    After the bubble tea, the group started to dissolve more and more. It started with a strong pack of twenty or so former classmates and dwindled down as small groups thought of things to do, causing them to say goodbyes to everyone else for the day. For Minhee, she was now an extra wheel as Taehyung, Jungkook, and Hoseok decided heading to a computer room would be a decent way to kill time. The girl had spent plenty of time with the other boys, but just wasn’t a fan of video games. She was the one who sat and watched, occasionally giving bits of advice she wasn’t sure would even help, but rather to just say something so as not to feel left out.

 

    As the four of them chattered on their way to the place, Minhee felt apprehensive. There was nothing wrong as the sun started to fall from the March sky, but as they closed in on the destination, she felt her stomach begin to bubble. Trying to shake the feeling and knowing she was safe with these three guys, she rejoined the conversation and tried her best to laugh along.

 

    “I haven’t been online since before finals, what if I lost all my skill?” Jungkook voiced honestly.

 

    “What skill?” Taehyung added, causing them to laugh and his victim to playfully shove him towards the passing brick wall. “Killing me now won’t help you win in DoTA.” he said.

 

    “You still play that? Who’s left on the servers these days? Everyone is about League now,” Hoseok said.

 

    “Man, only losers play League,” Jungkook added and Minhee was glad they were now entering the building because she was totally lost in the conversation. They climbed the metal stairs up to the appropriate floor and opened the heavy door to reveal a dimly lit room full of young boys getting their fix of online gaming.

 

    “Oh no, it’s too full. Looks like we’ll have to go somewhere else,” Minhee fake complained, hoping she could leave. The anxious feeling still gnawed at her stomach and seemed to grow larger by the second. She followed the boys as they weaved down the aisles, Jungkook and Tae finding two open seats and Hoseok with his hawk eye able to spot a free chair halfway across the room. The girl let out a huff, totally inaudible due to the constant clicking and clacks of mice and keyboards surrounding her. She continued to wallow around until she spotted a corner seat in the back and decided to go for it. That decision was soon proved to be a terrible one as she saw who sat next to it, the cyst of her past, Kim Namjoon. Minhee sighed but swallowed her pride as the gnawing feeling lingered and she made sure not to look him in the eye. The tension ed as she walked towards him and then behind him to get to the seat.

 

    He wasn’t a horrible person, he was just...too much. Namjoon lived down the hall from her family in the apartment complex next to a block of small shops most of the resident's families ran. From a young age her mother set her up on play dates with the boy as an excuse to sit with his mother and gossip and whatever else middle aged women do. He was smart, book smart, which was fine at first. But he was also so awkward that it was agonizing to spend more than five minutes with him. Maybe it was that they just didn’t click, but once Minhee was old enough to voice her opinions, she made sure to come up with excuses and valid reasons so as to not have to go with her mother to said playdates. It was weird when the two shared classes in middle school, but lucky for Minhee his family moved away just before high school. She considered herself fortunate to not have seen him ever since. However, out of the blue a week or so before graduation, her mother mentioned how Namjoon would be moving back to the city for university. Minhee tuned most of it out, not really caring. But now that he was sitting right beside her, she wished

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter