five

Curious Days of Youth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

    The next morning Minhee woke up with baby hairs clinging to the back of her neck from sweat. She felt gross and sticky, took a shower and soon felt hot again.

 

    “Mom, I think I’m dying,” she whined as she started texting friends in hopes someone would do something cooling with her.

 

    “Well your not the first person to ever feel that way,” the woman responded and Minhee let out a groan. Her mother walked around the apartment collecting the last few things needed before she headed out for the day. “When are you going to start working?”

 

    The girl opened her eyes to glance at the woman from her sprawled position on the couch. “I’m on summer vacation.”

 

“That’s for students. Start manning the register tomorrow,” she said as matter of fact before exiting through the front door.  Minhee let out a longer groan, hoping her mother could hear from outside, but knew it wouldn’t earn her any extra sympathy. She stretched and grabbed her phone, popping up at a message from her friend at the idea of going swimming. The girl quickly replied back with a yes followed by seven too many emojis and got up to find the best bikini and lightweight outfit to wear over it. Once dressed, she started collecting her things and was about the step out the door when she remembered Namjoon and how he probably didn’t have any friends. A brief thought of inviting him crossed her mind, but he’d probably just call her fat when she went in the water and say she looked like a beached whale if she laid out or something. He made it apparent from last night’s dinner that he remembered how cruel she was to him and now intended on reciprocating the tough love. Maybe she should invite Taehyung. But he’d probably just stare at girls until they felt creeped out, and they’d all get kicked out and banned and yeah, not a good time. Just a girls day then.

 

Minhee and her friend Sooyoung met up with a few other classmates to grab muffins from a cafe before heading to the public pool. Minhee wasn’t too hungry so she took the snack with her and upon entering the gated area, hid it in her bag to pick at later.

 

“Is it true that you cramp up if you swim right after eating?” Sooyoung questioned Minhee as the other girls had already found a spot and started to lay out their things. Minhee shrugged. “What if I get a charley-horse and sink to the bottom?” her friend asked.

 

“Then the lifeguard will pull you out, no big deal. Plus he’s hot, so you could fake pass out and he could give you crp.” Minhee said with a playful shimmy. Sooyoung was still paranoid so the two sat out under an umbrella.

 

“Even just sitting by the water is cooling,” Minhee commented.

 

“Yeah, looks like things are getting pretty steamy over there though,” Sooyoung said, tipping her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter