4. We Have Secrets

She's a Lady!

             “Minjung! Hey!” Onew put down his cell phone and cleared away the desk next to him. A few glances from girls sitting up front were shot at Onew’s unusual excitement. Minjung, however, ignored any jealous whispers. As she walked back she noticed a colorful flyer poking out of Onew’s bag, and was just about to ask what it was when she was interrupted by Onew.

             “So, Minjung… You wanna be friends, right?” Minjung chuckled at Onew’s shy question.

             “Yeah, of course!” She opened up her pencil bag and took out a rainbow pom-pom pen.

             “Okay. I'm just making sure. I don't wanna end up annoying you or anything.” Onew pushed his book between the two of them and opened up to new chapter.

             A small group of students in the class began chattering about Onew and the new girl. Almost everyone knew that Onew had a weak financial background so he has to work two jobs after school.

             “Usually after school he walks to the train station and goes to work at a factory out of town and then comes back to town for some other job. No one knows what he does but the building is very shady.” A girl stared at Onew as he stretched his arms up.

             “I heard he runs errands for a gang. You know, like… drug errands.” Another girl looked down at his tattered backpack and wondered what was inside.

             “Ugh don't be stupid he’s a good guy he wouldn't go anywhere near drugs!” The other girl turned her head and continued with her doodles that were supposed to be notes.

             They're conversation ended and the final tardy bell rang. The teacher walked in and began teaching immediately. However, a certain couple could not stop whispering under the teacher's voice. Onew and Minjung talked and giggled at conversations unrelated to the class discussion which irritated the teacher and a few other students.

             “Is there something you two would like to share with the class?” The teacher slammed his book closed and stared at Onew.

             “Minjung switch seats, and sit right here.”

             Minjung gathered her items in slight shame and moved up. For the remainder of class it was just slight glances and small smirks to each other.

             Later on that day after Minjung had returned home, she decided to go do some shopping. Sadly, she didn't have any plans for her first weekend in her environment and decided to spend it in her new home. However, being Minjung was tiring so she took off her makeup and called it a day. Minho was back and threw on a cozy spring evening outfit.

             As Minho passed many small shops with ‘great deals’ he began to get bored. He already bought so many groceries that his arms began getting sore, that is until he read a small poster on a local bulletin board.

“Visit a night of talent. Tonight @ 9

Admission only $10

Free Drinks and cheap food

Live Performances by:

Fruit Head, Sing Bots, Tree Jump

and a special returning guest!

9th st first building on the left.

Ask for ‘A purple cat’ for entry.”

             Minho easily gave into  anything music acts and immediately decided to go. The performers sounded full of potential, so why not give it a go.

             After arranging what he could of his apartment, Minho slipped on a more casual outfit.

             “There, I look pretty cool, right?” He turned and posed in different angles to proof check for any rips, tears, or stains.

             “Okay, this is fine.”

             Once he got to 9th st he headed over to the grey crumbling building. No cars or people were heard and Minho began worrying he had fallen for some sort of trap, until he heard a small repetitive beat. He followed it to a green thick metal door. Minho stretched out his arm to knock but before his knuckle made contact the door cracked open revealing a beady eye.

             “What kinda pet you lookin’ for?”

             Minho was alarmed at first but remembered the instructions from the poster.

             “A purple cat.”  Minho readied himself to waltz in but a hand slipped out asking for money.

             “This talent don't come free.”

             Minho quickly pulled out his fee and the door slammed shut.

             “Welcome to the Yellow Train.” The door swung wide open releasing a flood of colored lights. The current performers sang an upbeat song and the people swayed their bodies along to the beat. Minho walked over to the bar and ordered a cup of water. He enjoyed a lot of the music that the bands were playing and he eventually joined the dancing group. He wasn't an extraordinary dancer, he only stepped to the beat and allowed the music travel through his veins.

             The music gradually came to a stop and the stage became dark.

             “Everyone… You may want to find a partner to dance with. Whether it be your friend, your lover, your one night stand... take ‘em by the hand and pull them close.”

             There was only the sound of shuffling back stage maintenance to be heard before a dim yellow light shined on the center, then a beautiful harmonious voice sang. The singer's vocals were lively and Minho felt as if he were dancing with the sound of his thick voice. Minho fell in love with the person's voice and rocked along with the mellow beat. As the singer continued the light gradually brightened revealing someone Minho already knew causing Minho to freeze in amazement. The singer stood in a bright yellow sequined tux that glimmered in the soft light.

             There was an instrumental break from the singer's voice giving the host time to call out anybody without a partner. Everyone either rushed off the dance floor or paired up with a stranger, but Minho continued to stare at the stage. The host continued to tease the loners on the dance floor until Minho was the only one left.

             A bright light was suddenly shined on him exposing Minho to everyone, including the singer who happened to be a familiar face.

             The two exchanged looks before Minho panicked and dropped everything to run to the bathroom.

             Onew felt his stomach do barrel rolls even though he'd been singing at this place for a while. He had no idea what suddenly made him feel that way and that stranger in the crowd looked somehow foreboding. Onew’s Friday nights were a secret and he could not risk anyone finding out about his singing.

             “I- I'm sorry I have to leave…” Onew stuck the Mic back on the stand and walked off the stage.

             “Hey! Jinki what's the matter?”

             The entire crowd booed as Onew walked off the stage. He went to his vanity mirror and gathered his belongings without explanation. The evening host came over and scolded him for the sudden outburst. “I'm sorry I just think there's someone here who might expose me, and you know what could happen to me if that happened? You know where I come from. This can destroy me. My father would end me.” Onew swung his backpack over his shoulder and headed toward the restroom.

             “I have to change out of these ridiculous clothes and I'm leaving. I don't know if I can come back.” Onew paused for a second and felt a bit enraged that his extra activity was just ruined.

             The evening host whined in worry. “You can't just leave! I need you! You're the number one hit here!”

             “I'll come back eventually just give me time. I've been having troubles at home anyways. Thank you for tonight and I apologize for ruining it. As an apology keep the money- any money- you made from my performance.” Onew walked to the restroom and found an empty stall to change in. While he changed he heard quiet mumbling.

             “That was Onew right? what's he doing in a place like this? i didn't know he could sing!”

             Onew was surprised at hearing his nickname and panicked.

             “Hey? How do you know that name?” Onew walked out of the stall mid-task and rattled the door handle. “Listen, if you're from school don’t tell anyone about me… Come out here!”

             Minho acted on impulse and pushed open the stall door, but just froze in embarrassment.

             “I- Um… Hi Onew…?”


wish there was as an app so i could upload from my phone