High-End Wine

Dear Interpreter

After six months in England as an exchange student, Ji Won was now back in Seoul where she was anxiously waiting for a phone call about her fate as an IAI intern. She had spent her final week in England scrutinising over textbooks after her unpleasant encounter with Lee Je Hoon. Although she hated to admit it, there were indeed several fundamental terms that she had forgotten or had skipped over. However, her optimistic nature congratulated herself for now having a more comprehensive knowledge on the Chinese vocabulary.

Evening was approaching, which meant Ji Won’s part-time waiting shift at a winery restaurant was about to commence. The restaurant offered fine-dining catering and was a place where businessmen and politicians frequented. It was also popular among couples and tourists, and she found that multilingualism came in very handy. Despite her intense coursework, she found that she could manage the work-study balance rather well. Furthermore, she needed this job as it was her only source of income.

In the women’s locker room, Ji Won changed into her work uniform comprising tights, a black knee-length pencil skirt, white blouse with a self-tie neckline and a black vest to go over.

“Seems like there's an important gathering going on in the private dining room.” Other girls in the locker room discussed.

“I just came out of there. Korea’s Minister of Foreign Affair’s son purchased six bottles of expensive wine from me and I get 10% commission! Ji Won, didn’t you say you needed to save up for your apartment's rent? You should hurry in there.”

“Ok guys, pray that I don’t spill wine on anyone tonight.” Ji Won slid her long wavy hair back into an effortless ponytail and dabbed on some light makeup before heading out into the private dining room. Inside sat five suited men from different nationalities around a round table. From what Ji Won heard in English while she was clearing away finished dishes, they were in heavy discussion about world trading.

An Englishman paused the discussion, “[English] Je Hoon, can you kindly ask this lady for some wine recommendations?” Ji Won, taken aback from the sound of that name, immediately looked up from the table to see the director of IAI eyeing her.

“[Korean] The British Minister is ask-” Je Hoon began, but was cut short.

“[English] Sir, seeing that you’ve mostly ordered spicy seafood dishes, I’d personally recommend wines with some sweetness. Perhaps Trimbach or Domaine Weinbach? Or how about Grüner Veltliner from Austria to cleanse your palette?” Ji Won said, b with confidence and certain about her pronunciation. It was finally time for self-redemption she thought as she lifted her head defiantly at Je Hoon.

“[English] Wow, your English is superb! Say, where are you from?” The British Minister asked her.

“[English] Born and raised in Korea, sir. It’s a great country.” The British Minister let out a bellowing laugh while the Korean Minister was patriotically nodding his head with approval.   

“[English] Alright then, I will take all three!”

“[English] Right away, sir.”

Ji Won made her way down to the basement cellar where only staff and VIP members had access to. She ran her index finger across the long row of wine bottles that greeted her, heading towards the area where expensive high-end wines were stored.

“Devil Lee Je Hoon. You may be the director of IAI, but that doesn’t mean you can degrade my dream of working there. Pfft, clubbing during my first year?! I’ve never even been to a club you presumptuous jerk!” Ji Won muttered to herself while trying to reach for the Trimbach on the top shelf. She felt warmth on her backside as someone’s hand effortlessly reached out for the same bottle of wine from behind her. 

“Is that so?” Je Hoon said with a subtle smirk on his face. Ji Won spun around, biting her lower lip for her mistake of failing to check her surroundings. “Well then, I apologise.” He continued dismissively, an apologetic tone missing from his admission of guilt. He studied the label on the wine bottle. “Hmm… Trimbach? Probably the most expensive wine in this entire cellar. You sure know how to scavenge for money don’t you?”

Ji Won straightened herself, “Look, these are my recommendations. If you had others, you should’ve voiced them yourself. Or were you too afraid to do that?”

Je Hoon averted his eyes from the label and looked into hers. He lifted his right hand and placed it against the shelf behind her then leaned in. Ji Won pressed her back against the shelf in order to create some distance between them, but her efforts were futile. “Afraid?” He chuckled. “I’m not afraid of anything.” Ji Won felt her heart skipped a beat, surely her subconscious was warning her that this guy could be a potential ert who was currently invading on her personal space rather than a potential bad-boy lover.

“O-oh really? Good for you then!” She cleared before continuing. “N-now, if you'd excuse me, the British Minister is eagerly awaiting my wonderful selection of wines.” At that moment, her phone started vibrating and she picked up the call. The number displayed was unknown to her.

“Hello?”

“Is this Kim Ji Won?” A woman’s voice came through the receiver.

“Yes. Who is this?”

“This is the Institute of Advance Interpretation. I am calling to inform you that your application has been successful and your role here as a probationary intern will commence in a fortnight. A confirmation email with the details has also been sent through.”

“OH! YES, I UNDERSTAND! THANK YOU!” Ji Won bowed as though the caller was right in front of her, expressing her gratitude before the call disconnected. She cleared again. “Director,” she began, this time formally addressing Je Hoon, “I know we didn’t get off on the right foot, but I hope you will put the past behind us and forgive me for anything I’ve done wrong. We humans all make mistakes, just like you were wrong to assume things with me. So let’s just call it even.” She opened up the confirmation email on her phone and held it in front of him. “Anyway, I’ve been accepted to IAI so I look forward to learning a lot from you Director.” She bowed and then strutted off, her attitude leaving Je Hoon stunned, but bemused at the same time.