Windsor Knot

Dear Interpreter

It was 6AM in the early twilight hours. Ji Won and Je Hoon were in the IAI library together, their desk blanketed in scientific journals and papers. In a couple of days, the two were to leave Seoul and attend a virology conference in Jeju Island. The renowned event attracted leading medical researchers and virologists from around the world, and Je Hoon was to act as the event’s primary Korean/Chinese interpreter with Ji Won as his assistance. This only meant two things: working overtime and sleep deprivation. But despite the intense preparation, Ji Won enjoyed working with the director; how they cooperated together and depended on each other as equals. Above all, she was nervously anticipating their very first business trip together.

Je Hoon stood leaning against a bookshelf with the sleeves of his white dress shirt rolled up to his elbows and his short hair slightly tousled. He loosened his navy tie and unfastened the first button of his shirt. Ah, this is the image of a hard-working man Ji Won thought as she stole glances at him from behind the notebook she was holding up in front of her.

“Translate after me,” Je Hoon said, then he proceeded to dictate sentences in English, using words that were uncommonly heard in a day-to-day conversation. However, Ji Won managed to interpret eloquently despite the scientific jargons Je Hoon threw at her. Thankfully, all those hours of preparation had paid off.    

Je Hoon dictated a final statement and a smirk of amusement flashed on his face.

As though on auto-pilot, Ji Won translated: “I suppose peeking at me aids your concen...” She trailed off as soon as she realised what he had said, feeling embarrassed. Then straightaway with her head down, she returned to writing notes as he chuckled at her.  

“Well, how do I look then?” Je Hoon asked, unable to resist the chance to .

“Very charming.” She bit her tongue for the mistake of letting act before her brain.

He laughed and jokingly asked: “Are you...hitting on me?”

“Oh I would never dare to. Rule number infinity remember? Strictly no office romance.” She felt a wave of relief by her swift and natural response.

“I’m glad you haven't forgotten.” He said, too seriously for her liking, as he returned to his seat beside her. Ji Won narrowed her eyes at his pettiness. Well Mr. Goody Two-Shoes, in case you haven’t noticed, it’s currently out of office hours, she thought. And owing to that fact, she was no longer going to suppress her rebellious spark. Her lips curled into a subtle smirk that conveyed her disobedience and she turned her body to face him, then impulsively reached her hands out to fix his tie.

“Well, while we’re on the topic of IAI’s code of conduct, I’d like to remind you that your presentation should always remain professional in front of your colleagues.” She commented, finding it difficult to feign an innocent expression as her rebellious character within twirled in a happy dance. She daringly shifted herself towards him, but he simply tilted his head upwards to allow her easier access to his neckline, as though he was perfectly comfortable with her fixing his tie. She couldn't help but feel a pang of disappointment at his unchanging composure, which she hadn't expect he'd be able to maintain so well.

The close proximity of their bodies did little to faze Ji Won at first, who was distracted by her own goal of trying to provoke Je Hoon. But when she felt his warm breath on her face, an unknown sensation began to tug at her heart and she felt an embarrassing reddish hue that began to surface on her cheeks.

Je Hoon cleared his throat. She didn't hear, preoccupied and confused by her own emotions.

“Ji Won.”

“Huh?” She abruptly looked up from his tie, her lips now within inches away from his. Her heart skipped a beat, and when she caught him glancing down on them, her heart really did stop then and there.   

“What’s wrong?” He softly asked, meeting her eyes again.

She let go of his tie, and as she tried to face away he caught her hand and pulled her closer, causing her chair to lean sideways. His eyes were now brazenly fixed onto her lips and he started to very slowly lean in towards them. What was he doing? He wouldn't... Ji Won's thoughts were in a frenzy as she hastily tried to decipher his action, but her mind was about to go numb any second now.

"No office romance..." She managed to whisper.

"It's out of office hours.”

Ji Won shut her eyes tight and had expected his lips on hers, but instead, they passed by and lingered closely beside her ear.

“I know you like to be mischievous,” he said, his soft voice tickling her insides. “But two can play the game.” He let go of her hand and laughed, as though to appear proud of the fact that she had fallen for his prank. But in his mind, he reprimanded himself for having nearly lost control. That was too close.

Ji Won tsked at him and slapped his shoulder, but her vexation was quick to subside when she saw how he’d laugh and how his monolid eyes would smile with his lips. Instead, a longing feeling draped over her as the truth began to reveal itself. Don’t deny it Ji Won, you’ve fallen for him.