Doused Out Sparks

Dear Interpreter

Je Hoon drove in silence, his facial expression conveying a clear case of anger. Not before long, he stopped the car outside a convenience store and then got out, striding over to the front passenger seat and opening the door.

“Get out.” He ordered, and Ji Won did as she was told. As soon as she left the passenger’s seat, he slammed the door shut, startling her.

“Director, I never agreed to Bernard’s offer and I have no idea why he said that! I was just recommending a few of my juniors to him.” Ji Won tried to explain.

“I will be reporting your indecent behaviour to IAI’s disciplinary committee. If I so happen to find even a little stain on your record, you are to leave IAI immediately. Understand?!” Je Hoon ignored her attempt to explain herself, allowing his temper to take complete control over him.

“You really are bent on accusing me till the very end aren’t you? Did you know that be-”

“I do not want to hear any of your excuses. All I know is that you have disobeyed IAI’s code of conduct by meddling with a third party. Do you really love money that badly?”

Ji Won couldn’t believe the words that were coming out of his mouth, but whatever he had to say, she didn't deserve to hear it. “Fine! There’s no point speaking logic to someone who insults my dreams.” She leant back on his car and faced away, revolted by the sight of him.

“Your dreams?” He scoffed. “Not even worth a cent.”

“My dreams are worthless just because I’m not rich like you are?! Did you know, ordinary people like me have to struggle just to get to your starting line? But despite that, I’m giving it my all. And yet you laugh at how slow I am from your finishing line. Let me tell you, you may think you have it all; a nice car, a wealthy family, a high-paying job, but what you lack are human feelings!”

“What did you just say?!”

“I said you lack human feelings!” Ji Won snapped at him and was on the verge of tears, but she didn’t want to reveal her weak side to him just yet. “You lack empathy and compassion. You’re judgemental and insensitive to other people’s feelings, you don’t even stop for a second to consider what may be troubling us! Also, as a superior, don’t you need to place some more trust in your juniors?!” She couldn’t hold it back anymore, the more she said, the more fury she felt. Tears began to escape pass her lower lash line, steadily rolling down her cheeks. “Do you-” she started to choke on her words. “Do you h-have any idea how utterly mistreated I feel right n-now?” She could barely speak, snivelling as she wiped her tears away.

Je Hoon heaved a sigh of submission and there was a moment of silence between them. The cool breeze wasn’t enough to extinguish the flames they just hurled at each other.

“You’re right.” Je Hoon said gently, at last breaking the silence. “If you want to cry, I’ll lend you my shoulder.” Ji Won couldn’t understand the 180 degree turn of his temperament and even Je Hoon was surprised at himself. What was I saying? He thought as he studied her hopeless expression. Something about this fiery moment gave him the sudden impulse to recklessly pull her into an embrace. Perhaps it was her tear-stained cheeks, her nose red from the winter chill, or her trembling lips…

No, don't. He mentally commanded her as he watched her lean her head against his chest, which he hadn't expected she'd do, and yet his body refused to avoid her. Time seemed to have stopped then. He urged himself to snap out of it, but his disobeying hands slowly slid across her back, the warmth of her body spreading to his palms. Why did he feel so pained? He closed his eyes as he felt her tears seep through his dress shirt onto his bare chest. He had never lost control like this and he needed to rectify the situation immediately.

He forced open his eyes, regaining his cold-hearted demeanour. “If it’s fake sympathy you want, then I suggest you leave IAI.”

Ji Won pulled back from him, feeling foolish that she had fallen for his trap. What was she thinking? A guy like him could never soften up. “I am not leaving IAI.” She said stubbornly, crossing her arms.

“It’s not up to you.” He said in a matter-of-fact tone as he strode over to the driver’s seat and opened the car door.

“I’M GOING TO DIE AS AN IAI GHOST I TELL YOU!” She yelled into the front passenger window as he started the engine and then drove off, abandoning her in the lonely cold.