Hot and Cold

Dear Interpreter

Hot.  

Ji Won kicked the blanket aside and rolled over, only to fall off the edge of the couch onto the carpet. The fact that she was still at IAI had escaped her memory, and she mistook the couch for her own bed. She landed with a thump. 

Scratching her head, she blinked away her blurry vision until the hazy figure in front of her transformed into Je Hoon, who was typing away on his laptop with lightning speed.  

"Morning." He greeted nonchalantly from the armchair across from the couch as he continued to type, his eyes never leaving the screen. Embarrassed by the just-awoken state she had on full display, Ji Won quickly smoothed down her hair as she got up to escape his presence. "You...might want to use my bathroom before charging out." 

"H-huh?" She said, all flustered. "Oh, thanks."  

She gasped when she caught her reflection – unkempt hair, smudged eyeliner and all – in the mirror inside the director's private bathroom. As she desperately attempted to make herself more presentable, she began to raise questions about her current situation: how on earth did I end up here? 

As she returned to the office, she asked, "I didn't sleepwalk here did I?"        

"I carried you." Je Hoon answered, his tone indifferent as though the action was a typical occurrence between the two of them. He rose from his seat and stood facing her with a cup of coffee in his hand, anticipating her reaction.  

"Why?!" 

He tilted his head sideways, feigning innocence as a smirk started to steadily take form. "Why not?" He questioned back, then casually proceeded to take a sip of coffee. "I got a lot of work done because of you. Your snoring kept me awake. Oh, and there's something you should see." He signalled for her to come closer, taking out his phone from the back pocket of his dress pants as he did this. 

Clueless to the cause of Je Hoon's unusual bubbliness, she warily walked over to him, only to be flabbergasted by a photo of her sleeping with her arms dangling off the edge of the couch and the blanket tangled around her legs. 

"YAA! Delete that!" She demanded, reaching for his phone which he teasingly held high above her, taking advantage of his height. Aggravated as well as mortified, Ji Won stomped on his foot with her stiletto heel and he doubled over in pain. She snatched the phone away, but before she could press 'delete', Je Hoon wrapped his arms around her waist and lifted her onto his desk, knocking over a pen holder. She quickly hid the phone behind her back. 

"Is this any way to treat your director?" He leaned in towards her and placed his hands on the desk, positioning them on either side of her. "Looks like I've been too lenient on you." 

"Well is this any way to treat your intern? If someone saw us, they'd misunderstand." 

"I'm glad nobody else is here then." Je Hoon had expected a witty comeback like she'd usually given him. However, silence followed 

"Stop." She finally whispered, staring down. "Stop confusing me. Otherwise...  

 

Otherwise I'll like you.