Awkward Encounter

Dear Interpreter

It was Ji Won’s final week as an exchange student at the University of Cambridge in England. She clenched her fists with excitement, but she felt apprehensive as to whether her application to the Institute of Advance Interpretation was successful or not. As nerve-wracking thoughts crossed her mind, she made her way over to the Chinese/English help desk, which she was in charge of along with another exchange student for a conference held at the university.

“Ji Won, can you get more Chinese brochures and photocopy some more flyers? We’re running out. Also, take over some English ones to the administration office. I’ll man the desk while you’re gone.” The exchange student said as she handed over some booklets and loose paper.  

“Sure, I’ll be right back.” The crowd outside was quickly dwindling as people started to enter the conference room. As Ji Won headed for the administration office, an Asian man approached her, the sound of his footsteps clacking against the marble-tiled floor. “[English] Oh, would you like a brochure?” She asked, but he didn’t respond. She tried again in Chinese, “Would you like a brochure?” No response. Ji Won started to feel awkward under his steady gaze, which seemed more condescending than friendly. “[Korean] By any chance, are you…Kore-?”

“[English] Excuse me, Ji Won."

She spun around, “[English] Oh Professor Schubert!”

“Can you translate this to Professor Zhang in Chinese? The University of Cambridge is one of the top-ranked universities worldwide, and is renowned especially in the fields of molecular biology, neurology and anthropology.”

“[Chinese] Professor Schubert says that the University of Cambridge is one of the best universities worldwide, and is well-recognised in the fields of umm…biology, neurology and umm…social studies.” As she interpreted this, she could hear those footsteps again, which halted beside her.

The man from before let out a frustrating sigh. “[Chinese] The University of Cambridge is a top-ranked university worldwide, and is well-recognised especially in the fields of molecular biology, neurology and anthropology,” he accurately interpreted, exuding with confidence.

“Thank you.” Professor Schubert said and then continued his conversation with Professor Zhang while walking away together.

“[Chinese] So you do know Chinese! You were awesome, are you also an exchange student? My name is Kim Ji Won. What’s your name? It’s nice to meet you.” She extended her right hand for a handshake, a beam plastered on her face.

He turned to her with a solemn expression, “[Korean] Just then, you translated molecular biology into biology and anthropology into social studies.”

“You know Korean too?!”

“Those are fundamental errors. The words ‘molecular’ and ‘anthropology’ are included in your first-year textbook in chapter 7 section 3 page 191. Go check it up. You partied and clubbed during your first year, wagged classes during second year, go abroad for your third and waste the year away, and then date around during your final year. Let me tell you, if you study interpretation like this, I suggest you quit now.” He stormed away.

Ji Won scoffed in disbelief, “YAAA!” She yelled after him, on the verge of aiming the booklets in her hands to the back of his head. At that moment, the exchange student also in charge of the help desk came to her.

“Ji Won, calm down! That guy is Lee Je Hoon!”

“I DON’T CARE WHO THIS LEE JE WHO GUY IS!”

“Lee Je HOON; interpretation genius and director of IAI.”