The Ex Lover

For the Good Times and the Bad (Short Stories Compilation)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She was late, the traffic has gone bad and she missed her best friend's wedding party. She was supposed to come earlier but the baby, oh baby Jin-ni was having a slight fever and doesn't stop crying until she left him with his nanny. She hopes Jin-ni's father will coming back faster from his business meeting to taking care of him.

 

And how he hopes her best friend won't be disappointed by her.

 

"Where were you?" Hyomin asked when she arrived.

 

"Traffic.."

 

"Oh.. I thought you won't come when you said Jin-ni was sick.."

 

"I thought so too but he was a bit better when I left.."

 

"Where is Sooyoung?" The bride has not been seen since the first time she came.

 

"Mingling around with the groom.. She was asking you earlier.."

 

The waitress with a tray in his hand walked pass her, she took a glass of water from the tray and drank it in one go. Apparently the exhaustion took over her when she ran over from the lobby to the venue in her high heels. She saw Sooyoung and Kyung ho talked with other guess before their eyes met with her. Seohyun smiled and they were smiling back at her.

 

"You came.." Sooyoung said, hugging her tight.

 

"Congratulations Sooyoung-ah.. Kyung Ho oppa.." 

 

"Thank you for coming, Seohyun-ah.." Kyung Ho said.

 

"How is Jin-ni? I heard he had fever.." Sooyoung asked.

 

"He's getting better.. His nanny is watching over him now.." Seohyun answered.

 

"Congratulation Hyung.." The familiar voice startled her. She never thought she could hear it ever again.

 

"Oh, Yonghwa-ya.." Kyung ho smiled when Yonghwa congratulate him with their usual hand shake.

 

The sight in front of her is very familiar yet strangely unfamiliar.

 

Yonghwa and Seohyun were friends at the college. Although it was 10 years ago, Seohyun remembered everything that they were going through like it was yesterday. How their friendship develop into something more and how it crumbled and they lose it all.

 

She didn't expect to see him here, no one told her he would come and it frightened her. The last time she saw him was 10 years ago when he left her and said he will moved overseas. Thing has change so much since then, it was a hard time but she passed it through. But when she saw him again like this today, everything went back in a jumbled memory in her head.

 

He seems realized there was a pair of eyes keep watching him so he looked up and their eyes met. Seohyun gave him her friendly smiles; at least they manage to do that after 10 years of parted. They were not the same person they used to anymore; they were older, more mature now. The past should not hold anything left for their present. Even every question she used to asked in her mind, every resentment, every pain, doesn't came out anymore.

 

"Hello Yonghwa.." Seohyun started.

 

The world seems to stop when the greeting came from her lips. As if they were anticipating what would happen next between the two exes after 10 years apart.

 

"Hey.." He smiled back, walking closer to her. "Long time no see.."

 

"Yeah.. I don't know you were back.."

 

"Oh it's just recently.."

 

"Are you coming back for good?"

 

"I haven’t give a thought about it..”

 

"I see.." Seohyun smiled, feeling more awkward than it was supposed to be. There are a lot of things she wanted to say but the word just doesn’t seem to slip from her lips.

 

"What about you? You are good?"

 

"Yeah.. I am.." Seohyun ran her finger on her hair, a sign she was nervous.

 

He gives no response but stare at her intently. "You haven't change.." He said. "You always ran your hand on your hair when you were nervous." He smirks before running his finger on her hair to slip a few strands of hair behind her ear. That intimate gesture startled her, but she quickly getting back to her sense and keep her calm.

 

"It was probably because I didn't expect you would be here.."

 

"Are you surprise?"

 

"Very much.. But in a good way.. I'm glad you were fine after all of this year.." He was wrong. She was change. She wasn't that nervous teen girl who didn't know what to do in front of a guy anymore. She was still nervous but she could hid it well inside.

 

"I was wrong.."

 

"Huh? About what?"

 

"About you haven't change.. Actually you did. You were change.."

 

"How did I change?"

 

"You became prettier and charming.."

 

Seohyun giggled, he and his sweet mouth don’t change either but somehow it made her loosen up a bit. "I'm old now.. That's the only thing different.."

 

"Age doesn't makes your beautiful face fade away.. it accentuate it.."

 

"Enough with the flattery.. Yonghwa.." She laughed.

 

"But it makes you more relax.."

 

"Ehem.. We are still here.. If you still notice.." The bride made a sound to get their attention back.

 

"Come on.. We just met after 10 years.. Please be more understanding.." Yonghwa joked and everyone laughed.

 

Seohyun turns back and give Sooyoung a tap in her shoulder before Sooyoung and Kyungho excuses themselves to go back to their guests, leaving the two of them alone.

 

"I haven't said this, but it was nice seeing you here.." Yonghwa breaks the silence between them.

 

"Me too.. It's been 10 years but I feel like a college girl all over again.."

 

"Oh I remember you and your inseparable red rimmed glasses.. Walking around the campus with a piles of book that weight tons of kilos in your hand.."

 

"Hey.. It's not even that much.."

 

"Of course it was that much.. I can't even imagine myself to read that much pages in my entire life.."

 

"But you did anyway.."

 

"I did.. Thanks to you for threatening to oust me from the group.."

 

"I did that?"

 

"Oh yeah.. You are pretty stiff back then.."

 

"Somehow I didn't feel sorry for that.. Not at all.." She laughed and felt how he was staring at her longer with the smile plastered nicely in his face.

 

She looked him and realized how age has made him to be more handsome than before. He looked mature and decent, always like a movie star. Unconsciously her eyes fell on the band in his finger. Does he already married with her? She doesn't dare to ask.

 

A lot of what if's came in her mind.

 

What if 10 years ago he didn't left her.. Would they still be together now?

 

What if...?

 

"But still, you were the one who made me realize in my dream.." Yonghwa's voices taking her back from the trance. She laughed for her own silly thought and nods at him. She should have congratulated him for his achievement; he made his dream came true after all. Ironic, because it was one of the reasons they fell apart from the first place.

 

"Congratulations anyway.. I guess you already reached all of your dreams now.."

 

"Most of it.." He answered nonchalantly. "Champagne?"

 

"Sure.."

 

"I will get it for you.." He said, while making a turn to the nearest bar. He got back at her with 2 glasses of champagne in his hand. Just when he was about to hand her the glass, her phone rings.

 

"Hello.." He heard she said before her face turns panic, it was definitely not a good thing to be heard. "Ahrasso.. I will be right there.."

 

When she hangs out the phone, he asks, "Is there something wrong?"

 

"Sorry.. I need to get back home now.." She said, panic.

 

"I will take you there.." He offered.

 

"No.. no I'm fine.. I will go back alone.."

 

"I insist.." He said firmly, holding her shoulder to make her calm. He ushered her out from the venue to the parking lot and let her sat on the passenger seat next to him. She told him her address and he droves the car as fast as possible.

 

She ran inside her house in a speed of light, the nanny held Jin-nie in her embrace, her face showed how panic she was. "His temperature suddenly increasing and he cried nonstop, I can't get hold to his father.. I'm sorry to frighten you like this.."

 

"No.. It's fine.." Seohyun checked the baby temperature and order the nanny to bring all his necessary stuff to the hospital. "Let's take Jin-nie to the hospital.."

 

Yonghwa watched all of that in silence, he didn't want to give any suggestions hence he knew nothing about baby. Hundreds question came in his mind regarding the scene especially the baby in front of him. Without asking questions he takes them to the nearest hospital and get the baby examined. Thankfully it wasn't something severe so the doctor let them to take the baby home.

 

"I'm sorry I put you in so much trouble.." Seohyun said after she brought the baby to his crib, her hair scatter in a mess.

 

Yonghwa sips his jasmine tea before replying. "It's okay.. How old is he?"

 

"7 months.."

 

He nodded his head, "Mm.. the father?"

 

"He went on business trip and will be back tomorrow.."

 

He smiled while staring at her. "You must love him a lot.."

 

"Who? Oh Jin-nie Appa? Well, I can't say the otherwise.. I'm actually stuck with him.."

 

"I think I should go back now.. I hope Jin-nie get well soon.. Thanks for the tea anyway.."

 

"Thanks to you too.." She said when he made his exit.

 

This is what it was supposed to be when you met your ex lover, right? No grudge, no quarrel, just like 2 old friends whom somehow becoming stranger again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Have you stop loving me?"

 

"You don't understand.. I love you.. still.. but I have grow tired with all of our fights when what I actually need was for you to support me.."

 

"Don't make excuses just because at the end of the day you choose her over me.."

 

"Hyesung was nothing more than just a friend.. The only reason we were officiated was because we will study at the same university.."

 

"Boy and girl in the strange country alone.. Don't you think it might implied to something?"

 

"Should we breaking up?" He said faintly. "I will move overseas and I - honestly I don't have confident with our relationship.."

 

Her eyes popped out in disbelief of what she heard. She was expecting him to say how much he loves her and promise to keep his love for her no matter how many miles they were parted, but this. This was too easy, he was giving her up too easily. Like there's nothing to fight for, like their relationship isn't worth to fighting for. It's not like she didn't approve of him going to get his dream when he was accepted in the university he wanted, but she didn't know that girl will comes around him like a leech. She didn't dare to think what might happen when it was just the two of them in the strange unfamiliar country. The jealousy just got her more than it should be.

 

So they were part ways just like that. The last time she heard he was already in a relationship with Hyosung.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Seohyun, can you take the bowl in the kitchen?" Sooyoung said.

 

"Sure.." Seohyun replied. It was two weeks after Sooyoung wedding and after they coming back from their honeymoon; they invited her to their housewarming party. It was supposed to be usual housewarming party but there's something different today. Yonghwa's presence made it different. She doesn't know why but she can't take her eyes off of him tonight. It seems she was always aware of whatever he does and he was never out of her peripheral completely. Thus, it made her confuse by her own feeling.

 

Does she still has lingering feeling for him? It can't be, right? It was 10 years ago, she was supposed to leave that all behind when he left her. They were not the same person they used to be anymore either.

 

Seohyun opened the drawer but can't find any bowl inside when suddenly Sooyoung shouted and told her that the bowl is on the highest drawer. She tried to reach the drawer and almost get it if she could stretch her body longer. She thinks she need a chair or something to reach it when suddenly she felt a presence of someone behind her reaching for the drawer and take out a bowl she was looking for. The body which she recognizes as a man's body was very close to her, made her felt his warm. She smells the cologne and instantly remembers of someone and for a second the time stop and both of them freeze at the moment. The familiarity seeps through her over the memory in the past. When she turns around, he was looking back at her with the same intensity.

 

"You still as pretty as I remember you used to be, Seohyun-ah.." He whispered here name with intimate tone.

 

Her heartbeat starts to beat loudly more than before when he leans closer to her. The tip of their lips met in a second and Seohyun's body starts to shiver.

 

She was just about to close her eyes when the image of the ring in his finger snaps her eyes open wide. This is wrong, they wasn't allowed to do this. With that, Seohyun shrugged his body away, creating a safe distance between them.

 

“Don't..” She faintly whispered.

 

He seems perplexed for a second before his face turns cold. "This is wrong.. I'm sorry.. I'm really sorry I got carried away.." He whispered, closing his eyes and sighed as if trying to calm himself.

 

After a long silence stretched between them she asked, "Do you regret it?"

 

"What?"

 

"I don't know.. Everything.." The heat accumulated in her cheek, she almost taking back the question she made.

 

His eyes never leave hers when he answered. "Just because we didn't work out, doesn't mean you weren't the best thing that happened to me. Because you were.."

 

"Yeah.. me too.." She replied softly with tears accumulated in her eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A few months later.

 

 

The group decided to take a vacation in the countryside, Sooyoung invited them to stay for a couple of days in her lodge. Seohyun was reluctant to come at first but by Sooyoung persuasive invitation, she finally came. The reason why she hesitates was because of Yonghwa might coming as well. After Sooyoung housewarming party that day, Seohyun can't even stop thinking about him and what happened that day. How her heart still beating loudly just by being close with him and how it felt really good when they were together, just like they used to. It will be different if no spouse involved, but things just won't always go the way you plan it to, will they? It was just the wrong timing and they definitely can't do anything about it.

 

She was afraid she will lose her control when they meet again. The attraction and the moment could made both of them fell to the things they weren't supposed to do. But when they finally met at the lodge, Seohyun realized how unnecessary her thought was because she doesn't need to do all the hard work to stay in control when he brought his girlfriend, soon to be wife with him to the lodge. It shocked her at first because it wasn't her, the girl she used to feel jeal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter