Love Hurts

For the Good Times and the Bad (Short Stories Compilation)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Having someone hating you for something you didn't even do might be hurtful. Wait until you experience it by someone you love. Hurt was an understatement, it was all beyond that. Like your life lost all the purpose and the energy got drained from your body all your happiness away. It was like your day has no sunshine inside it and you was left alone in the dark. The worse of all is when you are too much in love and can't even get over your feeling for him. And you should live this way, trapped in the sorrow for the rest of your life.

 

The first time Seohyun met him was when she was 10. He was 14 at that time. She peeked from behind her mother's shoulder, his fringe down with the most beautiful hazel eye she was ever seen. But the eyes that staring back at her at that time was cold and distant. The anger within that eye was looking at her full of hate, something that scared the hell out of her. It was something a young girl like her doesn’t understand.

 

His father looked at Seohyun warmly, welcoming her with a warm embrace. "Hello, my child.. You are so pretty.." He said. "He is Jung Yong Hwa, my son." His father gestured him to moves closer and introduce himself. The young man called Yonghwa shot a glare to her, dodging his father's hand and ran out of the room. The last words he shouted rang in her ear strongly, "I DON'T LIKE HER.. I HATE THEM.. I HATE YOU, DAD.."

 

Did he really hate the arrangement that much?

 

That will be troublesome, she thought. She doesn't want to be uncomfortable with him.

 

Especially when starting today he also becoming her brother.

 

 

 

 

14 years later.

 

 

Seohyun opened the front door of the house and walked inside, leaving her new arranged flower bouquet at the vase on the living room. Walking passed the study room to reach her bedroom; she got startled when suddenly the door got opened.

 

"Omo.. Oppa?" She saw Yonghwa out of the study room with a book in his hand.  "You are here?"

 

He looked back at her for a second, no words comes from his lips but his gaze never leaving hers, it made her nervous and unconsciously diverting her eyes to the book in his hand. At that time, he chose to speak, "Why? Can't I go back to my own house?"

 

Seohyun touched her hair, the gesture she often do whenever she felt nervous. "Ani.. Of course you can.. This is your house after all.. Do you need anything oppa?"

 

"Nothing.. I was just looking at this old study room and found a book I took interest of reading.."

 

She doesn't know what else to say since he was always so distant and cold, especially to her. She got used to it already. It wasn't the first time he acted like that to her.

 

She remembered the first time she met him, his eye full of furry, looking at her and her mother in apparent disgust. She doesn't know then, but as she grows older she understood completely. He wasn’t originally acted like a hater to other people, but as much as he oppose his father and her mother marriage, his hate for them grows as much.

 

At 10 years old, Seohyun tried hard to get close to her new brother. He doesn’t like it, of course, telling her to go away and mind her own business. He swears he will never ever accept her as her sister and her mother as his. His words shattered her heart so much, she cried that night. She thought he will have a full family with her mother's second marriage after her father left them for another girl when she was 3. But she doesn't know her new brother hate her so much. He must have thought her mother just a lowly gold digger by marrying his rich father.

 

She tried to hate him after that, knowing he will never accept her, whatever she did.

 

She failed miserably.

 

Hate isn't her forte. Especially to her family that she cared so much.

 

 

 

At 14 years old, Seohyun developed some new realization about him. They didn’t talk much and he always tried to avoid meeting her around the house. Their conversation was limited and she doesn't want to make him uncomfortable even more by forcing him to accept her.

 

He had a school camp one day and forgot to bring his sleeping bag. His father asked her to bring it to his school that noon. It was the first time she goes to his school. The school is so big but holiday season made it empty, she doesn't know where to reach him, and his off mobile doesn't help either. She walked on the empty corridor alone, fear engulfing her. She never likes to be alone. The thought of ditching him came to her mind, telling herself that maybe she was too late and he already got the bus and took off from the school to the camp hill.

 

The voice of boys startled her. She looked behind and met with a group of tall boys. They were smiling at her, asking who she was. She told them her purpose of coming that she was looking for a boy named Jung Yong Hwa. The boys she thought will help her, started to held her finger and scoop closer in uncomfortable distant. They smirked and asked her to gives them a kiss on the cheek before they let her know where Yonghwa was. A frightened Seohyun starts shivering, feeling the worst might come if she refuses.

 

A tight grab suddenly pulled her body away, made her shouted in fear and closed her eyes automatically.

 

"What are you doing here?" A familiar voice snapped at her.

 

Slowly, she opened her eyes, "O-oppa..?"

 

"I'm asking you, what are you doing here, Joohyun?" The fire in his eye showed her that he was really pissed to see her.

 

"I- You forget your sleeping bag so I-"

 

"Who told you to bring that? You shouldn't have-"

 

"I tried to call you but your phone was off.."

 

Yonghwa looked a bit startled, before he sighs, "I forgot to charge it.. Are you okay?" Seohyun nodded slowly.

 

"Yah - Yonghwa, why did you so angry with her? You ruin our moment.."

 

"Shut up and stop your joke.. You scared her.." Yonghwa said to his friends.

 

"Hey, relax dude, we were just joking.."

 

"Yeah, Yonghwa we just play a little, we don't know you will be this mad just because of it.."

 

"But she is really pretty, is she your girlfriend?"

 

Yonghwa sighed, his grip tighten around her shoulder. "Just mind your own business and stay away from her from now on.. She worth more than you and your filthy hand.."

 

The guys left them alone after muttering sorry over and over again. Seohyun couldn't stop herself from staring at his features. She always knows that he is handsome ever since the first meeting, but she never really gives attention to his sharp details. He is beyond handsome, his nose, his lips, his eye, he is perfectly perfect in her eyes. Her heart drums in fast rhythm, she never thought Yonghwa will save her and say something like that about her. She always thought of him as a brother, or that what she wanted to think, but the strange tug in her heart told her the ugly truth.

 

At 14 years old, Seohyun understand it exactly of what it is.

 

And this is not good news.

 

 

 

He was being nice to her after that, they managed to act civil and be like a friend. It was the happiest moments in her memory. He is attentive and told her many things. There's no awkward atmosphere at all and she thought everything will going well after this. But there's nothing last forever, one day he suddenly change to his cold demeanor and shut her out from his life.

 

Not long after he goes to study overseas for 4 years. After he came back he moved from the main house to his own place.

 

 

 

 

They will have dinner that night, something rare to happen since he won't even come when father asked him to dine in together. Father was having an important business call in his study room, which leaves the 3 of them in the dining room.

 

"Yesterday I met Min Ho and he said he has been seeing you for a couple weeks, Joohyun-ah. Why don't you tell me anything about this?" Mother said, clearly unhappy about the fact she didn't tell her this important issue.

 

"Well, it's not like we've been official or something, Mom. We just getting through the phases slowly.."

 

"It's good, honey. Min Ho is a nice guy, and soon enough he will inherit Choi Corp. This is very good.."

 

Seohyun never liked whenever her mother's talk about money, it made her feel cheap. She knew her mother has suffered a lot when papa leave them alone years ago, but still it feels wrong and made others who hear it will misunderstood. Wasn't this that made Yonghwa hate them? Because he never believes they were genuine enough to be called a family.

 

"Mom.. It's not important.."

 

"What do you mean it's not important, honey? Of course it is. If you are with him, you will be Choi Corp samonim and be happy forever.."

 

Seohyun saw Yonghwa's jaw clenched; it proved how much he restraining himself to said something inappropriate about her mother's statement.

 

"Do you even know how much money they had? It's a lot. They were the second richest man in Seoul right now, of course the first still your father.." Her mother chuckled.

 

"Impressive how much you didn't change, Mrs. Seo.. I always wonder how you could made a fool of my father without he realize it.." Yonghwa's smirk in disgust at mother's but the later act oblivious by it and laughed.

 

"Of course he believed that I love him, my dear son and I really do. But I'm being realistic that you can't just live with love alone.."

 

"Don't even dare to talk about love when you don't know what it was.."

 

"And you know? You were not a saint either, my dear son.. You think I don't know? Your relationship with Shinhye was just because she will make a good connection to your retail business.."

 

"You don’t even know what you were talking about.."

 

"Oh I know.. of course I know.. Shinhye's connection will help to expand your business in China, not that I'm complaining though when it helped our family getting more money from it.. You see, Son? We are the same.."

 

"Oh.. once more.. It's better for you to call me mother at your father's face, before he gets angry and start cursing at his own son for being impolite to his mother at dinner table.."

 

"You are not my mother.." He hissed.

 

"Biologically not, in a paper yes.. And trust me, you don't want to see your father's wrath because he will always listening to me.."

 

"Mom.." Seohyun whined, feeling her mother was a bit too much.

 

At that time, father came in to the room and everyone became silence.

 

"Are you going to stay for the night, Yonghwa?" Father asked, sitting on his seat and start unfolding the napkin.

 

"I will stay longer than just the night, Dad. I'm currently renovating my penthouse.." Yonghwa answered impatiently, clearly having no intention to continue the dinner thing.

 

"Great. I would like you to stay longer at house and spent time with your family, Yonghwa. Your mother will made a new charity-"

 

Seohyun gave Yonghwa a secret gaze, knowing he is very upset after talking with her mother earlier. He never once think of them as a family and it's been a couple years since he moved out from the house and lived in his penthouse. Maybe he couldn't stand being in the same place with them anymore.

 

"I think I'll go back to my room, Dad." He said quickly, not even minding to hear father's babbling about mother's charity event and leave the room.

 

"He never change.." Mother said nonchalantly.

 

"I don't know why he act like that to his family.." Father sighed.

 

Seohyun gazed at the empty hall with many thoughts in her head. She just doesn't sure of what to do anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

If you asked if she is still in love with him or not, she will confidently say she is. The thing is he is never leave. No matter how he treats her, the thoughts of him just stays. He was like a constant battle she always did in her mind which in every battle, he came out as the winner.

 

With a tray in her hand, she knocked his door slowly. He opened it, surprise of what he saw behind the door. "What is it?" He asked slowly.

 

"You haven't had your dinner, oppa.." Seohyun shoved the tray in her hand to him, hoping for him to take it. But he stood silently, just giving her a weird stare. "I'm not hungry.."

 

"And that's such a stupid reason to skip dinner because while you were not hungry, your stomach does need nutrition.." Seohyun force to step inside his room, putting the tray in his desk.

 

Yonghwa's eyeball followed her movement when she put the tray of food in the desk. When she stood up, their eyes met. Suddenly Seohyun felt nervous because he walks closer to her, his eyes looking at her intently.

 

"Why do you care?" Unconsciously Seohyun take a step back, until her back hit the cold wall.

 

"Y-you are my brother.."

 

"Is that so?" He leaned closer and put his hand on the wall besides her, made her trapped.

 

"Why were you shuttering? I'm you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter