Butterfly

Love Does Not Mean Romance
“Hey, promise me you won’t leave me to be the only one who in the team,” a girl turned her head to her friend.

“No worries, judging from how I’ve been doing this week, I don’t think I’ll be getting better any time soon,” the younger girl said, smiling and eyes closing, enjoying the afternoon breeze.

A laugh. “And promise me you won’t give up alone too. We have to be together no matter what, okay?”

“Of course,” the short-haired girl beamed at the other.





-----





Eunbi stared at the droplets of liquid in the IV drip cylinder.

Drop. Drop. Drop.

She sighed. Looked towards the direction of her feet. She grabbed her phone to try to distract herself, before she started crying again. Her phone’s locked screen showed notification telling her that she had received messages. Message from Jung Yerin! It said.

She gritted her teeth and grabbed the phone so hard her hand was trembling, before she opened the drawer beside the bed harshly, put her phone inside, and quickly closed it.

She lied back down and tried to sleep. Her dream consisted of roller skates, pinkies intertwined, a bright light, sound of car horns, and then darkness.

When she woke up, the room was already dark and her mom was sleeping on the chair beside the bed. She woke her mom up when she was trying to grab a glass of water on the bedside table. Her mom gave Eunbi her water and asked, “do you want to pee now, honey? Is there anything else you need?”

She hesitated for a moment, before telling her mom, “mom, canwe please move to another room?”

Her mom was confused.

“And can you please not tell Yerin the room… and not tell her about everything?”

“....why, sweetheart?” Her mother was starting to look worried.

“I need to get away from her. She reminds me too much of roller skating.”

Her mom originally thought that Yerin could help her daughter get through this, but she didn’t want to argue against Eunbi if the decision could make her happy.

“I’ll ask the nurse in the morning, okay?”

“Okay.”

Eunbi needed to walk away from her dream, but first she had to let her friend fly without her.