Chapter 29

The Imperfect Me

It was Monday, the most dreadful day of the week. Weekend just past by just like that. I was glad that at least I was productive on Saturday when we studied at Luhan's house and I got to spend time with my mom for the whole of Sunday. It was great catching up with her regarding her work and I shared with her about school, with the exception of the incident in the classroom and at the supermarket where I did my errands of course. I don't want to worry her unnecessarily. She got to know about Kris and Luhan though. And it was kinda expected that she would tease me about it. She went like "My dear daughter has two guys interested in her." But I convinced her that they were just my friends. It is impossible for any guy to like me. I'm not pretty, I'm just average. My face is filled with acne scars and who would want to get with a girl like that right? Those are my thoughts most of the time. My personality is not even great. In fact, in middle school, I had people calling someone with a bad personality. I thought it was nonsense at first but soon, I came to believe that my personality was bad. 

Now, I'm currently waiting for Kris who had insisted that I fetch Mark from school together with him today. He texted me this morning to remind of the favor that I owe him. And yet again, I had to make up a reason to excuse myself for not going back with the others. Luhan was really upset though. I could tell from his face. He was worried as well as what he told me on Saturday. I gave him a apologetic smile and then left. So, I'm standing at the back gate waiting for Kris. We promised to meet there since there not so many people who left by the back gate as the bus stop was further away from here. 

"Hey, sorry to keep you waiting. My teacher held us back to talk about some trip," Kris apologised as he arrived.

"No worries. Oh yeah, my teacher said something about the trip too. Are you going?" I asked.

"Yeah, most probably. You?" he asked.

"Not sure. I'll see what my mom says about it," I replied.

We then head off to Mark's school which was nearby. Once we reached Mark's school, we saw Mark waiting with his teacher at the school gate. Kris seem surprised to see that Mark has ended school. We then walked towards Mark and his teacher. 

"Noona! You're here!" Mark squealed and ran towards me. I then picked him up while giving him a peck on his cheek, to which he giggled. He then returned the favor and gave me a peck on my cheek. Oh boy, I really miss this boy. 

"Sorry, we ended earlier than usual because of a teacher's meeting that we are going to have soon," Mark's teacher informed Kris. Kris just nodded in acknowledgement. The teacher then turned to me and gave me a suspicious look. 

"Your girlfriend?" the teacher asked Kris. 

"Oh, no no! I'm not his girlfriend," I replied the teacher frantically before Kris could say anything. I was flustered by that question. That is the most ridiculous question I've heard. Who in the world would think that a good looking guy such as Kris would want a normal, average looking girl like me? 

"Oh, sorry if I've offended both of you," the teacher apologised and then headed off back into the school after waving Mark goodbye.

"Noona, you're not hyung's girlfriend?" Mark asked as he layed down his head on my shoulder. I have been carrying him since he went out of school. He refused to let Kris carry him. This clingy little boy.

"Mark, she's not my girlfriend. She's my friend," Kris replied his brother. Oh well, this is awkward... 

"Then noona will be my girlfriend," Mark replied gleefully as he hugged me even tighter. This boy is going to end up choking me if he keeps this up. But aww, he is so adorable. 

"In your dreams, little guy," Kris argued with Mark which made the latter pout. He then started to sob. Oh how dare Kris made this innocent boy cry again.

"Oh, come on Kris. You made him cry again? Don't worry Mark, I'll gladly be your girlfriend. You shall be my boyfriend starting today okays?" I told Mark and he smiled at me and nodded. He is seriously so adorableeee. Awww! He then proceeded to hug me even tighther than he did just now.  Okay, now I feel like I'm getting choked. Just then I felt the pressure released. I realised that Kris had pulled Mark off me. I could see Mark struggling to get away from Kris' grip but obviously, Kris was stronger. Kris carried Mark causing Mark to pout. 

"Okay, that is enough for today Mark. You're gonna end up choking Ara, you know?," Kris scolded Mark. Mark just kept on pouting as an indication that he was still mad at Kris for pulling him off his new girlfriend. In order to cheer him up, Kris offered to get ice cream for him. With that, Mark's face lit up and I've never seen such a big smile on his face. Mark nodded frantically. As we walked to the ice cream shop nearby, Mark started humming and was swinging his legs while Kris carried him. I guess Mark really loves ice cream. Something to take note of. Maybe the next time I pick him up, I could buy him an ice-cream as a treat. Wait, hold up! Why am I even thinking that I might pick him up in the future? This deal with Kris is only for today right? So I would not pick him up in the future obviously. That thought made me sad. I can't believe this little boy could have such a big impact on me. I've become attached to him in just the few times that I met him. 

"We're here," Kris announced as he put Mark down so that Mark could walk. Mark immediately entered the shop gleefully and ran to the counter where he could see the different ice cream flavours. Kris held the door for me and signal for me to go in. I nodded my head and then headed into the shop. I went to where Mark was. He was still oogling at the ice cream.

"Mark, which flavours do you want?" I asked him. I carried him again so he could get a better view of all the flavours. He pointed to the chocolate and the strawberry flavour. Kris then approached me. I told him the flavours that Mark wanted and he went to the cashier to order.

"Hey, Ara. Which flavour do you want?" Kris asked me. 

"Uh, no it's okay. I did not bring enough money for today," I told Kris. Which was the truth. I thought that we would only pick Mark up, send him back home and then head back home to do my school work. I wasn't expecting that I might end up in the ice cream shop. 

"It's my treat. Hurry up, choose a flavour," Kris urged me. I then decided to pick the cheapest one, vanilla. He nodded and then continued ordering for himself. Mark and I went to find a seat for 4 people. We sat down at the table close to the window. I put Mark down on the seat and he started sticking his face on the window while watching people walking past. I laughed at his antics and pulled him slightly away from the window because he was starting to scare the people walking past. He giggled and comply with what I did. Kris then came with our ice cream. He set the ice cream down on the table and sat opposite me. I thanked him for treating me and he just shrugged. I was really thankful. He wasn't rich, he was normal like me. He worked hard to earn his money during his part time job. He was willing to spend his hard earned money on me and for that, I felt grateful to him. The three of us ate in silence, with the occasional humming from Mark as he enjoyed his ice cream.

"Ehem, do you mind explaining this situation to me?" a voice spoke beside us. I looked up to see my mom giving me the suspicious look. Oh crappp...