Chapter 14

The Imperfect Me

Luna, Sulli, Lay, anybody out there, please help me! 

It was as if my prayer was answered, I heard banging on the locker door. It seems like someone was kicking the door. The banging was really loud and it scared me. The locker door opened upon the third kick and I could finally see the light and feel the fresh air. My vision was still blurry so I couldn't see who saved me but I can tell it was a tall figure. I was still gasping for air due to the asthma attack. It didn't help that I was hyperventilating as well. The person carried me out of the locker and sat me down on a chair.

"Okay, I need you to calm down. You need to take deep breaths. Follow my breathing. Breathe in, breathe out. Okay, good. Where is your inhaler?" the stranger asked. The person had a deep voice that seemed familiar. I pointed to my bag. The person walked towards by bag and took out my inhaler that was located in the side pocket of my bag. The deep breathing had helped me calm down a bit. My vision became slightly clearer. I looked up to catch a glimpse of who saved me. 

Wait, isn't that Kris?

"Here is your inhaler. Do you need help with it?" he asked me as he passed me the inhaler.

I shook my head and proceeded on by inhaling the puffs. Almost instantly, my chests didn't feel tight and I could breathe better. For a moment, I thought I was going to die. If I die, who is going to take care of my mother. My brother is still overseas so I doubt he can come back anytime soon. My vision got blurry once more but this time it was because of my tears. Come on Ara, don't cry, I thought. I blinked away the tears. 

"Ummm, so I assume you are okay now?" Kris asked me after clearing his throat. I almost forgot there was somebody else in the classroom.

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine," I replied.

"It seems like I saved you again. May I know your name? Just in case, you know, you ran into trouble and I have to save you again," he asked.

Did he just mocked me for a moment there? Oh my god, this guy. I can't believe it. I was about to thank him for today and the previous incident but his way of talking is pissing me off. It's okay, I'll just pretend I didn't hear that part. I shall not keep grudges and shall be grateful that he was there to help me.

"I'm Ara," I gave him a short reply.

"You got a pretty name. Oh well, Miss Ara. Since I saved you twice in a week, I think I deserve a reward from you. How about you treat me to some frozen yoghurt at the shop nearby our school? Okay, then it's settled. I'll see you tomorrow after school at the gate! Oh yeah, I think you should go to the infirmary and get some rest," he said and then he left the classroom. 

"Wait!" I shouted but he continued walking away. He didn't even give me a chance to reject his offer. He decided everything on his own. What a jerk! I heard footsteps approaching the classroom.

"Hey, Ara! I'm back from a long journey in the toilet. Oh my! You clothes are so dusty! What happened here? AND ARA WHY IS THERE A DENT ON THE LOCKER DOOR?" Luna exclaimed. 

"There is a dent?" I said, confused, and turned to look at the door. OH MY GOD! KRIS!

"Uhhh, ummm, I was trying to open the door but didn't manage to do so. I guess it was too rusty so I decided to kick the door. So after kicking, I kinda fell into the locker so that is why my uniform is so dusty right now," I tried to explain to her. I didn't know why I decided to lie. I didn't know why I decided to save Kris' . I felt so guilty for lying to Luna. She seemed to believe me and went ahead to help me clean up the locker.

"WE ARE BACK! I'm so sorry that it took so long. I didn't expect the queue to be so long. Apparently, there was an event and the people are buying food in the cafeteria," Lay explained.

"It's okay, I just came back from the toilet anyway," Luna replied.

Sulli looked at me and at the locker. I assume she was about to ask why my clothes were dusty and why was there a dent on the locker door. Before she could say anything, I explained to both Sulli and Lay what happened (the lie, of course). Lay, being his usual self, didn't realise what had happened until I told him. He was shocked of course but all I did was to chuckle at his antics. Oh my Lay, why do you have to be so cute? We continued with cleaning up of the classroom. We are almost done when the rest came back. Luhan entered the classroom, ran straight towards me and gave me a big hug. Oh my, why is this boy so clingy!

"Ara, I miss you so much!!" he exclaimed. I was trying to escape for his grasp but it's so difficult. He is a man after all. 

"Luhan, let go of Ara," Victoria said as she pulled Luhan off me. Thanks Vic for always rescuing me! 

I walked towards my bag to check my phone. I saw a random piece of paper in my bag. I know it wasn't mine. I took it out and opened it.

"GET AWAY FROM LUHAN, YOU UGLY B****! A GIRL LIKE YOU DOES NOT DESERVE HIM!"

It was written in red. I was scared but I tried not to make it obvious to the others. I folded the paper and kept it deep inside my bag. I turned around and saw Luhan observing me for a while. I hope he did not see the paper. Then he asked, "Ara, everything is okay, right?"

"Yeah, sure. Everything is okay," I replied while giving him a smile.