As Easy As ABC

F.I.V.R.
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mingyu had always been talented when it came to computer games. Despite his clumsy and lanky body, he had nimble fingers and fast reflexes, and a hell lot of free time. At age 15, he had already consistently ranked Platinum in League of Legends; manned a top ranking warlock in World of Warcraft; and breezed through all collections of Halo and Call of Duty. To him, strategy games were as easy as a game of chess, and first person shooter games were as easy as ABC.

His parents had passed away in a car accident when he was much younger. Having been entrusted to his rich aunt and her even-richer husband, he lived most of his life in the basement of their mansion. Not because they abused him, but because they trusted him so much that he was allowed to do anything he wanted. The first few years after mourning, Mingyu found consolation in games. It took his mind off the painful things, occasionally making him furious, but being able to excel in a field where most cannot had made him, and his adoptive parents, feel exceptionally blessed.

Contrary to popular belief, it was his aunt who first suggested that he could quit middle school and focus on pursuing a career in competitive gaming. It was an offer that he gladly took up, and it got him to where he was currently. Earning an income through competitions or being paid as an exclusive beta-tester, his life was ridiculously easy, especially since he was doing something that he loved. In the words of the famed Markiplier, "If you are doing something you love as your work, you will gladly lose sleep for it." Or something like that.

Mingyu was 17 when he was first introduced to Fully Immersive Virtual Reality (FIVR), or as the guide continuously corrected him, pronounced as “Fever”. It was nothing like he had seen before, not a simple VR console attached to your head, but a full body capsule. One that looks like a coffin, the back of his mind gnawed at him. He had been invited to the company that produced FIVR, having won another League competition that gave out FIVR capsules as a form of award and more importantly, advertisement.

The guide told him, “The prototype has already been passed and this is our first model, and don’t worry, all our subjects always came back to reality. We made sure that Fever was fully functioning before we introduced it to the market, so everything should be fine.” The supposed reassuring smile h

Please log in to read the full chapter