five.

Earbuds and Spilled Coffee

Yoongi finally drags himself out of bed when his eleventh alarm of the morning starts ringing at promptly 6:00 in the morning. It's not even that early, but for Yoongi, who's used to waking up at 8:30 everyday, it's pretty much torture. 

After taking a quick shower and stopping at a coffee shop to grab a bite to eat, he hurries to the station, worried that he might miss his train. 

Yoongi has to go to the BigHit company building extra early today to finish recording his song for Namjoon's newest album. This morning is the only time Namjoon is free to record for the next week, and the CEO wants all of the recording done by the end of this week. 

The train slows to a stop at the station, and Yoongi steps on, yawning. He sits himself down on a cold seat, running a hand through his freshly dyed purple hair. He rummages through his bag for a bit, and- why is he surprised at this point- he doesn't have his earbuds. 

Great. 

"Yoongi hyung?" 

Sitting just a few seats away, with tousled hair, tired eyes, and coffee cup in his hand, is none other than Hoseok. 

"Hobi!" Yoongi exclaims, startled, drawing the attention of several other passengers. His heart starts racing. 

Grinning widely, Hoseok gets up and sits in the seat next to the purple-haired boy. "I almost didn't recognize you with the hair!"

Yoongi laughs, shaking his head. "What are you doing here this early, anyway?" 

"Well, I've had to come early to work for the past couple of weeks now," Hoseok says, taking a light sip of his coffee. "I'm working on a new team to pick out new colors for the spring clothing palette. It's actually pretty tiring." 

Yoongi nods. "Fun." 

"Yeah. What've you been up to?"

"Um," Yoongi says slowly, thinking, "I'm going to be featured in a song from Rap Monster's new album."

Hoseok's eyes widen. "The one that's going to come out in six months?" 

"Yeah." 

"Oh my god, that's-"

"Shhhhh. You're yelling." 

Hoseok lowers his voice to a whisper shout. "That's great!" 

"Thanks." Pause. "We're making final touches today." 

Yoongi then brings up how he has a couple of friends who are huge fans of Kim Taehyung, and asks the younger boy if he could introduce him to them. Hoseok eagerly agrees, adding that Taehyung loves meeting fans. 

After several minutes of talking, Yoongi mentions that he forgot his headphones again. Hoseok's face lights up, and he digs through his bag, balancing his coffee cup precariously in between his legs. It seems as if the world is going in slow motion as the train jerks, and the coffee cup falls.

Splash! 

Hoseok curses quietly, staring at the mess on the ground. Yoongi reaches into his bag and pulls out a wad of napkins- he knew they'd be useful- and quickly cleans up the mess. 

The younger boy looks surprised. "You just have a bunch of napkins in your bag?"

Yoongi shrugs. "I started carrying them around a few months ago. Because you kept spilling your coffee on the train." He chuckles. "I guess you haven't broken the habit." 

"Well," Hoseok says, ducking his head sheepishly, "I have some earbuds for you." 

"For me?" 

"Not you, exactly, but I just had an extra pair," explains Hoseok. "So... Here." He hands him the earbuds. 

"T-Thanks." 

Hoseok's stop comes way too soon, and the younger boy stands up, smiling at Yoongi. "Well, hyung," he says hopefully, patting the other's shoulder, "see you later?" 

"I'll be here tomorrow, too," Yoongi affirms, and Hoseok's smile widens. "I need to confirm some stuff with the other producers tomorrow." 

"Okay, see you later!"

"Bye, Hobi!" 

☀︎

The next day, the two meet on the train again. 

"We need to actually meet up sometime," Hoseok suggests. "Maybe go out to lunch?" 

Yoongi doesn't know why his heart is hammering so fast, or why his ears suddenly feels so hot as he agrees. Or why looking into Hoseok's eyes has his stomach doing flips. 

When Hoseok's stop approaches, the younger boy stands up and gently places his hand on Yoongi's shoulder. The doors open, and he leans down to the elder's ear. "Hope everything goes well, hyung," he says, his warm breath ghosting over Yoongi's already burning face. 

Then, suddenly, Hoseok's lips are pressed against his cheek-

But as quick as they were there, they're gone. 

And so is Hoseok. 

☀︎

Yoongi goes on the subway the next day, even though he doesn't need to, just to see Hoseok. When he left his house that morning, he firmly told himself that he would definitely Hoseok why he'd kissed him like that, out of the blue. 

But then he saw Hoseok's face, and his mind went blank. 

And to make things worse (or maybe better?), Hoseok kisses his cheek again right before leaving, this time a little closer to his mouth. 

Yoongi finds himself wondering how Hoseok's lips would feel against his own. 

Soft, maybe? 

Probably. 

☀︎