Halloween Party

Blurred

Suho walked home alone that afternoon, hiding her face from all her classmates and friends that tried to talk to her. She felt horrible, and didn't want to talk to anyone. She texted Chanyeol and asked her for her number, trying to avoid conversation about what had happened.

> hi JongIn, it's Suho. I'm not going to be at practice today. Sorry lol. See ya later

> u’ve been improving, I'll let it slide. I hope you're ok

She left him on read and locked her phone, tossing it on her night stand to charge and letting herself fall back on her bed. She thought about what people said about Lay, before they decided to go out. A lot of girls liked him, she was sure of that.

‘However, seeing Lay and Kyungsoo like that...it makes me wonder, how many people has he looked at like that?’ Suho thought to herself, staring at the ceiling. ‘Am I just another girl?’

There was a knock at the door and she unlocked it, nearly tripping on her back pack that she had left in the middle of her room. She opened it and outside the door was her Mom. She barged in and started talking about how tonight she couldn't stay in the house.

“Why not Mom?” She asked, obviously irritated. Her mom gave her a stern look and it made her squirm. “Suho, baby, I love you. I really do, but you're always in this house when I have a party. Don't you feel awkward with a bunch of adults around? Besides, don't you have a party to go to?” She questioned her daughter as she went around to tidy up. She picked up the backpack and placed it in the closet.

“Fine,” Suho agreed, it's not like she could argue anything. Once again, she was defeated and had to do things she didn't want to do. She had to attend that party tonight and deal with people. Gross.

Suho took a good look at her clothes. She was supposed to match with Lay. There were a lot of things that she was supposed to do with Lay but this mess was confusing her. She looked at her phone, noticing she missed about ten calls from Lay. Chanyeol texted her about it, leaving long paragraphs of relationship advice, and then a message from Tao who said he was sorry.

Suho turned off her phone and put it in a drawer. She didn't need those distractions, especially when her mind was about to explode. She turned back at her closet and decided to wear all black and a witch’s hat. Her hair was let down and her makeup was dark, with no jewelry. It was her costume from last year except this time she wore stockings.

With one final look at the couples costume she had bought with Lay, she headed out the door with a watch on her wrist, a pair of all black converse on her feet, and her phone turning on so she could text Kris to pick her up for the party. They weren't that close, but he promised to give her a ride before this had happened since he lived in the same neighborhood.

> Kris, are you still picking me up for the party I have no other ride :c

> of course, see u soon

Suho placed herself down on the steps that led to her front door and waited. She zipped up her sweatshirt, preventing the wind from entering. She didn't want to look like a bum but she didn't want to be cold either.

“I knew this skirt was a bad idea,” she muttered to herself. She rubbed her legs up and down, praying that the party was worth this cold and praying that she didn't freeze to death before Kris got there.

As she wished for Kris to appear, he rolled up into the driveway. She ran her way into his car, her teeth chattering. She opened the car door and slipped in, the heat hugging her body tightly. It was a wonderful feeling.

“Thanks Kris,” Suho smiled at him as she buckled her seat belt and they prepared to leave the driveway. He nodded and accepted her gratitude. The soft music that played made the car ride easier, easing the awkward tension. Her phone rang another five times before Kris spoke up.

“You should talk to him. He's freaking out,” Kris commented, pulling onto the street where Minseok’s house was. Nearly all the good parking spots were taken. Suho looked down at her phone. Her phone was littered with apologies and her heart was filled with sadness.

“I want to talk to him, but I don't want to text about it. I want to see him,” she replied. She wanted him to look at her straight in the face and hold her and never let her go.

Kris parked the car and turned off the engine. He went and grabbed a bag, it was for the party. The my both got out of the car, Kris locking it before they both walked to Minseok’s house. You could hear the leaves crunching underneath everyone's feet and music playing from 20 feet away.

As they approached the house, Kris stopped in his tracks. He turned slowly towards Suho and looked at her in the eye, making sure she paid attention to what he was going to say.

“If you want to talk to him, tell him. He lives two streets away. Don't be afraid to spill what's on your mind. Last but not least, you can always talk to me,” he told her, making sure she was okay. Making sure she didn't hold things in for too long.

She could hardly thank him before a swarm of people surrounded them, kicking Suho out because she was a freshman which meant she was a nobody in their eyes. She looked down and texted Lay to meet her at the party.

“Suho! You made it! Wow,” Minseok commented, looking at her outfit and then back at her face, “You have an interesting outfit.”

She laughed and awkwardly thanked him. Minseok had to know what was happening, who didn't? Suho was grateful that he didn't suggest any advice. Everything was beginning to break her down, piece by piece. They made light conversation and he toured her around the house. Minseok was always nice.

When Minseok left to tend to other guests, Suho was left in the living room. Her phone had not rang for the entire conversation with Minseok, it made her feel better. She sat down on the couch and made herself comfortable. If Kris was right about Lay living not to far away, then he'd probably show up in a few minutes. She just had to wait.

As soon as she locked her screen, a tall girl approached her. She had dark brown hair and a prominent nose, her eyebrows were perfectly filled in and her makeup was stunning. She wore a bunny headband and a pink sweater with black, ripped skinny jeans. Suho admired her.

“Hi,” the girl greeted her with a smile. Suho smiled and welcomed her to sit on the couch. The girl’s name was Sehun, and she was a freshman at a neighboring school. She was one of Minseok’s neighbors and wanted to compliment Suho’s makeup. Suho blushed, she thought differently than Sehun, but accepted the compliment. They talked about makeup companies and about how mcertain techniques were better than other ones. Suho was so engrossed into the conversation that when Lay approached her, she nearly screamed. He was wearing all black too, except he wore the fangs like they agreed before.

“Lay, this is Sehun. She's my friend,” Suho introduced them. They excused themselves, Suho promising to exchange numbers with her new friend later as Lay guided her to a room upstairs. Once locked in a room, the two sat on the bed.

They could hear the music blasting from downstairs, it was vibrating through their bodies. Suho noticed Lay’s glasses were gone but she didn't say anything. It was too awkward.

“I'm sorry,” they said in unison.

They both asked each other to go first. Lay started the conversation. He cleared his throat and scooted closer towards her. This way the loud music couldn't cut off his words.

“Look, I was just trying to make Kyungsoo feel more at ease because she's always so quiet and I didn't want to be like an . I don't like her either. I’m sorry I didn't try to find you sooner than I did. I'm sorry you had to go through the day hearing about that,” he confessed to her.

Suho rested her head onto his shoulder. His arms were wrapped around her and her body was pulled closer to him. Suho didn't want to cry, but she did.

“I'm sorry. I'm sorry I'm so emotional, I'm sorry that I make things about me all the time. I overthink so much and I forget that it hurts other people. I love you, Lay. I love you, I really do. I'm just,” Suho sighed, her tears dripping down her face. She knew her makeup was ruined. She wiped it as much as she could.

“I'm over protective of myself. So when things like this happen, I just hide. I hide my feelings and cut people off. I can't cut you off, though. You're my everything. You're always so understanding and you always take good care of people. I can't do that to you, you don't deserve it,” she whispered. Lay kissed the top of her head and turned her so he could hug her fully. Suho cried even harder.

“You're all I ever wanted, and all I do is make complicated. Dear God, why do I always make things harder?” She muttered. Lay gently rocked them back and forth, like he was holding a crying baby and shushed her.

“I love you, too,” he told her. She snapped out of her crying and looked at Lay. She had told him she loved him and he had told her the same. Suho got out of his arms and looked at him. She smiled like an idiot. She felt crazy but there was no time to think about that.

“Say it again,” Suho pleaded, positioning herself closer to him. Her said it and each time he kissed her in different spots. Once on her temple, on her cheekbone, one on her jaw, on her neck, and all the way down to her collarbone.

Before they could get any further, there was a strong knock at the door. Lay went over to open it. Outside was Minseok, looking more distressed than ever. His father had come home early and they had to leave as soon as they could. Lay and Suho held hands as they dashed down the stairs to the back door, following the crowd of people.

Lay lead Suho by hand down numerous streets. They could see police cars in the distance because of complaining neighbor's. She knew that Sehun would probably never see or hear from her again.

As Lay slowed down, Suho noticed that they were in an ethnic neighborhood. A Chinese neighborhood, where most of her family did their shopping even though they weren't Chinese.

“Lay, where are we?”

“Home.”