Library Trip

Blurred


After that, Lay and Suho didn't stick around to hear the announcement of who made the group or not. They didn't care, especially not during this moment. They escaped through the door at the very end of the building, near the music room.

“What do you think happened?” Lay asked, the shock still prominent on his face. Suho shook her head, surprised at all the colors that hung in the sky. They were magnificent but not as magnificent as Lay’s face.

She admired how porcelain-like it was, like one of those most expensive vintage dolls at antique shops or artwork that Leonardo Da Vinci himself probably painted. He looked like a true prince. It made her sweat.

“Maybe we're soulmates,” Suho tried to uplift the mood by joking around but Lay thought she was serious, so he thought about it. Perhaps they really were soulmates.

“I have a metrocard in my bag, and it's not even near sunset. We should go to a bookstore or the library, we need answers,” he suggested. Suho loved the library but she wasn't sure about it. Even if they were star-crossed lovers, Lay was still a stranger; a familiar stranger.

“What the hell, I'm in. I'll pay you back later,” she shrugged and put both of her backpack straps around her shoulders. She couldn't go back to practice, it had been way too late for that and a trip to the library would always be fine with her parents. She practically lived there.

Lay texted his mom he would be home late and she sent the letter ‘K’ back meaning she read the message. They always had a tight relationship.

On the way to the bus stop, silence filled the space between them. Not an awkward silence, a peaceful silence that was comforting after such a long day of school. It was what they needed; to be near someone that didn't have to talk to them all the time to feel like their friendship meant something.

Finally, the bus strolled up to them and Lay started a conversation. He was fuzzy inside and out but content at the same time. It was like taking a nap after a swim or singing in the shower.

“So, Suho...Why did you come to this school?” He asked her as they began their departure from bus stop. His bag was placed in between his legs and his phone was blasting up from notifications. He made it on the dance team.

“I like drawing, it's one of my favorite things to do. I'm really good at it. When I was color blind, you know...about an hour ago? I never thought I would be able to see color this brightly,” she replied, pulling out her green sketchbook to show him.

What am I doing? I've never showed anyone this.’ She thought to herself as she hesitated to open it. It was something sacred to her, something she found confidence in. Lay assured her that if she wasn't ready, she didn't have to show it to him. He understood her, maybe even better than she understood herself.

“Why did you come here?” She asked, sealing up her bag. It was nearly filled to the brim because of her uniform. It was a miracle that it even fit in her bag since it was so small. She had underestimated herself. Lay found it cute.

“I want to become someone who gives others hope. I want to write music and become a choreographer. Most importantly, I want to inspire people to become better,” he sighed. It was so subtle but Suho knew he just wanted to help people. It made her grow fond of him.

“There’s the library,” Suho stated. Lay pushed the emergency stop button and grabbed onto Suho’s hand. He thanked the driver and headed inside the two story building. Their hands were sweaty but it felt perfect.

They let go as soon as they entered the library.

Once Suho stepped in, she stared at all of its glory. She had only imagined what the books looked like in color but experiencing it was so much better than dreaming. The smell of old books and new books made her sigh in delight. She realized that Lay was looking at her. They giggled together.

It took them four hours to find something related to their situation. It looked like a fairy-tale book. Lay opened the book and flipped through each story until he found one titled ‘Blind lovers’ at the very back of the book.

“Suho,” he whispered to her, waking her up from her short nap. It was now seven thirty and they were getting tired of all the work it took. “Suho, wake up.”

“Mmm?” She lifted her head. She shifted her seat next to him and sleepily looked at the book. She read the first couple lines and nodded her head. This was definitely their story.

Once upon a time, there were two fated lovers. Both of them blind, both of them lonely. They had only dreamed of love, believing because of their disability that they would never be able to experience it.

“One day, the two lovers met at a festival. One of the lovers had asked the other to dance, and the other agreed. Once they held hands they were able to see. Their first sight was each other. At the end, they ran off to tell their families and they were married at once. They lived happily ever after.”

Suho got up as she closed the book. She put it back where they found it and walked back to Lay who was deep in thought about something.

“What if we’re reincarnations? Of those lovers, I mean?” He asked her. Suho never believed in any stories about princesses growing up, she was more into superheros. However, having Lay and having this happen had made her think differently.

“Honestly, I wouldn't know. It's all a bit confusing. What are we going to do? Our parents wouldn't jump up and down that we found our soulmates, right?” She asked him. She sat down next to him and laid her head against his shoulder. He didn't mind it at all. He didn't know what to do either.

“We should give it two weeks, this soulmate thing. Getting to know each other and being able to go on at least one date,” he suggested. There was no harm in getting to know one another. It would be a good experience and if it didn't work out, what would be the worst thing that could happen? Going back to being classmates?

“Sure,” she agreed. Lay smiled at her and asked if she needed a ride home, offering to take her home. She shook her head and said her mother was coming to pick her up.

They said their goodbyes and exchanged numbers, making sure they had a way to contact each other. Suho got a text from her mom that she was outside, and looked back at Lay. She wrapped her arms around Lay and embraced him. She already missed his company.

“I’ll see you later.”