three's a disaster

Blurred

As the days grew shorter, Suho and Lay’s relationship grew. The two were always seen together so it was hard to keep the relationship from their friends. They could have said they were just friends for the next hundred years but everyone knew people who were ‘just friends’ didn’t look at each other that way. It didn’t help them that the hickies that they left on each other resembled constellations. To make things fun for them, their friends had all made bets on when they would start going out. Minseok won 25 dollars in total.

“I can’t believe I was right,” Minseok said, shaking his head at the couple. They laughed and started talking about the Halloween party that Minseok always hosted. It was Suho’s first time going to a high school party. She didn’t want to stick out from the group of friends she had made. She feared it would make her seem embarrassing.

“Who’s going to be there?” Lay asked, leaning in towards Minseok. It was abnormally loud in the cafeteria and it was hard to hear each other, even if you sat across from the person you talked to. Suho glanced from across her and saw Chanyeol and Baekhyun playing a game of Uno with JongIn and Tao. They all looked like it was their lives on the line.

“I think LuHan is coming. All of the guys that usually sit at our table. Hey, Suho, do you know if Kyungsoo is going to come or not?” Minseok asked her, tapping on her arm to gain her attention. His hands were always so cold but they were also always soft, like his personality. Strong and cool-looking on the outside but a cute dumpling on the inside.

“I don’t know, she really surprised everyone when she arrived at the Pumpkin Fair two weeks ago. She’s very...spontaneous, I don’t know her very well she’s really quiet. Ask Chanyeol,” she let out a heavy sigh. They were so close, like a pair of matching socks. It secretly bothered her sometimes. She didn’t let it get to her though. She had Lay, someone who was her destined best friend and lover.

“What’s with the sigh?” Lay asked his girlfriend. He went to hold her hand but instead she put her head on his shoulder, like she did a hundred times before. He pulled her in for a side hug. He still smelled like he bathed in multiple different colognes and his hugs still put a ball of warmth in her stomach. Minseok rolled his eyes and faked a gag, getting out of his chair to walk somewhere else, away from the couple.

“Can we skip dance practice, just you and me? Go to the corner store and buy snacks after school. We could hangout,” Suho breathed into his ear. They both knew that one whisp of air to his neck and he would be laughing like a happy kid. He sighed, he was in between a hard place and a rock. Either make his girlfriend happy and go with her but skip dance practice or go to dance practice but without her. He looked at JongIn who was whooping and screaming with joy about his victory. The bell rung out, nearly making Lay jump out of his skin.

What harm is there in missing a single dance practice? Lay thought to himself as the students left the cafeteria. There were so many things he wanted to do with Suho but they had never found the time to properly hang out without friends or school work interrupting them. They walked together to their lockers to get their stuff before hugging goodbye.

“I'll go with you, just wait at near the music room,” Lay whispered to her, making sure no one else heard their conversation. She was giddy and hugged him closer, leaving a kiss on his cheek before she made her way to her last class. He felt like a good boyfriend but at the same time it felt like he was betraying JongIn.

“We're not even that close anyways,” Lay thought to himself as he quietly made to his Art class.

The minutes ticked by so annoyingly slow. Suho could barely pay attention to her teacher, she was only thinking of what they might do. She didn't even notice when the teacher told the students to pair off for another assignment. She lifted her head and noticed Baekhyun standing near Chanyeol, obviously they were going to pair up. She looked around and realized she was all alone.

“Awe, I feel bad for her. Should we ask her to join us?” Someone whispered behind her, obviously not trying to be subtle. There was no reply, which implied a big no.

Suho closed her eyes and breathed, accepting the fact that she had to work independently. It wouldn't be the first time for her, she was used to being alone. It hurt, but she couldn't do much about it.

Instead of doing research, she popped up links of the things she needed and saved them for later. She watched clips of the topic, and read an online book while listening to the music afterwards.

On the other side of the building, Lay was building a colonial house from a shoebox and various items around him. The Art teacher said that the History teacher wanted to make sure everyone had studied which inspired the lesson plan. It was probably the simplest projects ever, and he thought it would take only 45 minutes to research his topic and slap it all together. That was, until he was put in a group.

The people in his group were all his friends, but all at working together. Kyungsoo and Tao were probably the most awkward people in the school when they were together. It didn't help that they were total opposites. Tao sat back and plugged in his headphones as Kyungsoo went to get all the supplies she thought they needed to complete the project. It made Lay want to scold Tao for being so lazy.

As Lay researched, he wrote all the notes in a Google document that was shared between all of them. Tao only looked a couple of times to make sure the citations were correct and laid his head down. It irked Lay, his body was becoming infected with anger.

“Tao, can't you help us?” He finally spoke up to the sleeping boy. Kyungsoo shook her head at him, pleading with her eyes not to wake him up. “It would be nice, you know? Since we're all in the same group.”

Tao ripped out both of his earbuds, looking at Lay dead in the eye. It was one thing to imply he was lazy, but it was quite insulting for someone to wake him up. Tao didn't say a word and got up. He walked to the front of the room, grabbed the bathroom pass and walked out.

“He's not coming back is he?” Lay asked Kyungsoo. She slowly shook her head and went back to building their project. The tension was gone, for Lay at least. He started a conversation with her, making it a more friendly environment. In minutes, Kyungsoo was smiling and laughing. It was like they were old friends.

Unbeknownst to them, Tao had walked back into the classroom. He only came back to get his bag that he forgot. He saw them laughing and smiling. It was weird, especially since Lay and Kyungsoo weren't very close in the first place. Tao took out his phone and opened snapchat and took a photo of them. He decorated the photo with a bunch of hearts and captioned it, “Teenagers in Love !” Tao sent it to all of the people on his snapchat and posted it to his story.

“Forget my bag, this is worth so much more than that,” he thought to himself as he slipped back out.

A few moments later, Suho got a notification on her screen. She saw it was from Tao and sighed. Tao was obsessed with keeping streaks on Snapchat, she knew it would probably be another selfie and a caption about how amazing their streak count was. She ignored the app and continued working.

Chanyeol on the other hand, opened it right away. She saw the photo and frowned, laughed, and showed it to Baekhyun. It was obvious that Tao didn't know Lay was dating Suho.

“He doesn't know they're together?” She asked Baekhyun, leaning in so it felt like a secret. He shrugged, his hand under his own chin.

“Channie, I don't think anyone, but our group of friends, knows they're dating,” he said, looking around the room. Nearly everyone else was looking at their phones in the classroom. They were all whispering amongst one another, creating gossip about how Kyungsoo and Lay got together. Chanyeol noticed Suho in the back, for the first time in the entire class. She felt like a fake friend for not asking her to join their group, and felt even worse now with the situation that had risen.

Suho noticed all the stares and whispers, she locked eyes with Chanyeol. She looked down on her phone and swiped, opening Tao’s snapchat. She didn't believe that people other than herself saw the snap but they did. Everyone in their grade saw it, and everyone thought Kyungsoo and Lay were dating.

As the final bell rang, JongIn checked his phone outside the Art room. He was waiting for Kyungsoo to drop her off at her own club she joined. Even though he begged her to join the dance club, Kyungsoo stuck with the Drama club. She claimed it was her forte but that was yet to be confirmed.

He saw everyone surrounding Lay and Kyungsoo inside the classroom, all of them shouting questions. JongIn pushed all the students aside and held onto Kyungsoo’s hand, pulling her out of the group of people. Like a lifesaver.

“Thanks,” she whispered to him. He smiled and asked her about her day, leaving Lay behind to be bombarded with questions. He was terrified.

“So when did you start dating?” One person asked, shoving Lay’s shoulder all buddy-like. He shook his head and denied the accusation, explaining that they were just friends. Some people laughed in disbelief.

“C’mon, we all know you'd like to bang her. She’s got this doll type look,” another guy said, earning some hype from other guys. Lay glared at them with disgust and pushed them out of the way. He headed out the door and realized ten minutes had passed and he was late for meeting Suho.

He ran all the way to the end of the building, near the music room where Lay told her to meet him. He looked inside the music room, down the other end of the hall, in the Gym, and asked the Music teacher if she had seen his girlfriend, losing his glasses in the process. He was looking for his soulmate, but she wasn't there.