Dance Practice

Blurred

“You should’ve heard what that dude said. ‘Are you twelve?’ What a lame comeback. I asked around and apparently his name Baekhyun. He would be super cute if he didn’t open his mouth you know? Suho..?” Chanyeol waved her hand across her friend’s face. Suho’s mind wandered all the time, especially during lunch time. “This is so unfair, first you ditch me yesterday after school and now you aren’t listening to me.” The tall girl gave up and started blabbing away to Kyungsoo, her new friend. Kyungsoo was probably one of prettiest girls in the school. Her symmetrical face and clear skin made her mesmerizing. JongIn agreed. In fact he couldn’t stop thinking about the girl that followed Chanyeol all day.

“The smaller one, the one that’s wearing all black accessories all the time? What’s her name?” He asked his group of friends. Tao snorted and pushed him a little. Lay slowly turned his head around to look at the table. He saw the two girls from yesterday morning and another one to the side with her head down, probably sleeping. He tried to look at their faces and remember what their names were.

“Baekhyun would know, he roasted them this morning. I think the tall one is named Channie? Yeol? Chanyeol? Whatever. The little one I think, um,” Lay started. He snapped his fingers, that was one of his bad habits. He always snapped when he needed to remember something. It was a cursed tool.

Baekhyun made his way over the table, his tray full of snacks instead of actual food with the exception of the pizza that was hanging out of his mouth. JongIn pushed Kris out of the seat next to him and slid over to be closer to Baekhyun.

“I know I’m hot and everyone wants me,” he said through his teeth as he approached the table and sat down to JongIn, placing his stuff down. “You don’t need to fight over me.” Kris climbed back into the seat where JongIn was sitting before he jumped him. JongIn discussed the previous conversation with Baekhyun and he learned the girl’s name; Kyungsoo Do.

“She’s pretty cute,” Baekhyun wiggled his eyebrows, teasing his friend. Lay looked over once more and confirmed the other girl’s name was Chanyeol. The rest of the period everyone discussed the auditions that took place this afternoon after school. JongIn took this as an opportunity to introduce himself to the wonderful Kyungsoo that he thought so much about. He yanked Baekhyun’s arm and dragged him to the table.

“Are they coming over here? Holy they are! Soo, how does my hair look? Good? Oh my God,” Chanyeol whined. She patted down her hair one last time and shook Suho’s shoulder to wake her up. Kyungsoo looked like she was ready for whatever was coming and Chanyeol was biting on her fingernails, nearly pissing in her pants. Suho looked at the boys coming forward to their table and sighed. It was obvious that Chanyeol was nervous so that only made it worse for her. Suho poked her shoulder and told her to calm down.

“Hello ladies,” JongIn greeted them as he pulled out a seat for himself to sit in. “I’m Jong - It doesn’t matter who you are, why did you sit there without asking first? Where are your manners?” Kyungsoo interrupted him mid-sentence. JongIn was shocked, usually all the people he approached in their school were kind when it came to introductions.

“Um, sorry about Soo, she’s a bit harsh with strangers. I’m Chanyeol, I go by Yeollie or Channie and this is Suho. You can both sit, I promise Soo won’t bite,” she joked. Baekhyun sat across from Chanyeol and Jongin squirmed in his seat. His heart was racing and his palms were sweaty, something he had never felt before. It was strange to feel so uncomfortable when he was usually so charismatic. He looked at Suho and recognized her from the orientation.

“Oh! Did you sign up?” He asked her. She had hoped he wouldn’t ask and hoped that she didn’t have to attend any of the dance meets or audition. She knew she would be horrendous at the dance auditions and wanted no part in performance arts at the school.

 

”I mean you don’t have a choice since all the other sign up sheets are filled to the brim. Our club is the only one that you signed up for anyways.”

‘I hate myself,’ She thought to herself. She was supposed to sign up for a writing club that was being hosted this year but she had forgotten to do it and now she wouldn’t be able to pass freshman year without joining a club.

“You signed up for dance club?” Chanyeol asked her, surprised that she had the balls to do it. Suho was known to stay at home and study, pass her exams with 102 and rematch Star Wars Movies even though she already had the script engraved into her memory. So you could imagine how shocking it was to find out she signed up for the dance club.

“Yeah, my mom forced me,” she confessed to the group. She slumped back in her chair and looked at the clock that hung on the column in the middle of the cafeteria. There was only five minutes left of the current lunch wave and then Suho would be off to her History class.

“You see that kid with the bulky glasses?” JongIn asked Kyungsoo. She nodded as she looked at him. He was laughing at something the boys said and his dimple showed. He was good looking but not her type.

“What about him?” She replied, looking back at JongIn. He looked really excited, like he was about to his pants because he was excited. “I'm going to dance battle him at auditions today because I'm the leader of the team, you should definitely come with Suho. It will be fun,” he suggested. Kyungsoo shrugged and said she would think about it. JongIn giggled with excitement as the bell rang which made everyone get up to leave the cafeteria.

Lay noticed from his place that JongIn had caught the lovebug. The way his eyes lit up when Kyungsoo listened to him, the way he smiled at her when he was saying anything. It made him envious. He wanted someone to long after him like that.

“What are you staring at?” Baekhyun asked him as they made their way to class. Lay shrugged and adjusted his glasses, he didn't want to focus on it that much. It would only make him feel worse.

When dance practice came around, Suho felt like ditching. However, she dragged herself inside the gym and helped the team set up. It was a way to show her traits and morals. She didn't want be the lazy person on the dance team. If she was going to be part of a team she would have to participate.

Lay walked in late but not on purpose. His locker was jammed and it took the janitor twenty minutes to walk up the stairs and another five to open it up. He apologized to JongIn and told him he would explain later.

“Okay, I’m JongIn. I'm the dance team’s leader and I’ve been here for about two years. Of course it seems all fun and games, but it’s not. To be part of this team, you must commit and participate. We train three days a week. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Monday and Friday are for exercise and Saturday is competition day. The rules are simple; don't play dirty, don't put anyone in harm, and don't slump around. Got it?” He asked the crowd. We all agreed and he nodded his head. He turned to two boys in the back from him and they brought out four Wii controllers.

“As a tradition, we always start audtitions with a game of Just Dance. This shows your enthusiasm and what you can do for the group. I know there aren't many controllers so I set up an obstacle course which Tao will be watching and recording your scores. You may begin,” he announced.

The students diverged into two groups, one line for the Wii and the other for the obstacle course. Suho had been working out for such a long time that she knew it would be a breeze for her. She loved the feeling of running and soreness after pushing her body to such high limits. It was what made her feel happy.

Lay followed the line towards the Wii and was the first one to play. He played against JongIn for the song “Thriller” by Michael Jackson. To no surprise, they were tied. JongIn suggested a rematch after everyone had gone. Lay agreed and made his way towards his bag to grab his water bottle. He had forgotten it, like usual. His eyesight must've gotten worse because he knew he packed it in his bag this morning. He exited the gym to get a drink of water from the water fountains instead.

Suho tripped up against him and he caught her before she touched the ground. She let out a small yelp before she realized she hadn't actually touched the ground. She opened her eyes and looked up at Lay. Their eyes became blurred for a moment before coming back to focus.

She started slowly seeing all the colors that surrounded them. She blinked slowly and saw colors popping out at her. The boy realized something had been happening too because he had the same reaction as her. He took off his glasses and he saw her face clearly. He helped Suho up and took a step back.

“What just happened?” She asked him, looking around the gym. She had no idea what the names of any of these colors were because she never knew what they actually looked like. She looked back at him, his gaze settled on her. She sparkled like a new diamond. Her eyes were soft and doe-like, her skin clearer than the sky on a sunny day. She was stunning.

“I don't know, but I like it.”