Orientation

Blurred

Everyone told Suho that once she reached High School, she would be happy and everything would be fine.

They were wrong. She hated it here and just wanted to go home where she could obsess over her comic books in peace, not this crowded classroom which very much resembled a rotting jail cell in her mind.

It was only the first day of orientation.

Suho got up from the brand new desk that was layered with handouts and maneuvered her way through the people that filled the room with their chatter about the future of the school and their useless words that were empty and soulless.

The drinking station that was set up in the corner of the room had three stations; a place to get a cup, a place to get lemonade or water, and a small set up with flyers for the new clubs being introduced in the upcoming fall. Suho glanced at them, trying to distract herself from the overbearing social anxiety that dripped out of her. They were obviously printed in color, but it's not like it was a big deal for her because she couldn't really tell.

In the corner of the desk, there was a flyer for a dance team. She grasped it in her hand and read the introduction paragraph. It was boring and it seemed fake, like someone was pleading for you to join so they could enjoy it themselves without the threat of it being shut down. They were a bunch of phonies.

Suho attempted to put it back down but instead, she dropped it on the ground. She bent over and reached for it but another hand was already there. The hand was covered in scratches and a ring hugged it's thumb. Suho looked up slowly, trying not to look embarrassed. She failed completely.

The hand belonged to a boy who had perfect acne-free skin and light hair. His grin took almost half his face and it took Suho a minute to realize it was an actual person and not a drawing. It was pretty common for her to get lost in her thoughts.

"Oh, thanks," she said to him as she grasped the paper from his hands. She went to place it back on the table but he stopped her.

"You should try out, it's really fun," he suggested. She was about to sweetly decline before her parents interrupted, barging their way in like they always did when she was talking to someone.

"Suho! Who's this? Is this your friend?" Her mom asked as she approached them, slipping right in between the teenagers. Her father watched from the sidelines, peering at the flyers at the table.


"I'm JongIn Kim and I'm the leader of the dance team," he introduced himself to her parents like it wasn't abnormal for this to happen. Suho's face was oozing embarrassment, it wasn't even the first day of school and there was already someone who had met her parents. Her annoying parents.

"Oh, you're Korean? We are too. You dance and you're not just a dancer, you're the leader! Wow Suho, you really found a good one," her mother said to her, like it was okay. Suho wanted someone to save her from this disaster of an introduction.

"Mom!"

Jongin laughed and excused himself, promising Suho that they'd see each other later if she decided to join the dance team.

 

“I’m definitely not,” She muttered to herself, trying not to look displeased. “I’m not going to make myself look like an idiot in front of the entire student body.”

"Yes, you're joining," her mother nodded her head fiercely. She took the sign up sheet and signed Suho's name and put her information. "It'll be great for college, it shows you have a good social network or whatever."

Suho sighed in defeat, knowing that she had no other choice. In retrospect, she could probably sneak out of practice, since there were about twenty-something other people signed up. She had done with many other clubs in her previous school so she wouldn't have to actually have to interact with other kids or do any work.

After that night, Suho regretted attending the orientation and dreamed about what starting with a clean slate would mean to her.


However, Lay felt the complete opposite. Lay was the first one to sign his name on the dance club list. Although it was hard to see (even with his glasses on) it still made him excited for his new school year to begin. His insides churned in excitement and wonder. He quickly introduced himself to his future classmates and dance team, making friends pretty easily.

"So, what moves do you have?" His new friend JongIn asked him, attempting to show off. Lay rolled his eyes and laughed, pushing him a little to the side.

"You'll have to see," he replied as he put his leather jacket a bit tighter around his shoulders while shrugging them. "It'll be one hell of a try out."

"God, I hate freshmen," Minseok complained. He was the senior that had to attend the orientation to gain community service hours. He regretted it.

"Hey, you were a freshman," JongIn called him out while back slapping his arm. The other guys in the group around them laughed.

"I wasn't as annoying as you guys are," Minseok retorted. He collected the stacked napkins around him and made sure they were all in the basket of supplies. "Freshies, all of you are freshies."

"Nothing's wrong with being in ninth grade," JongIn muttered, helping out with the cleanup process. "We're just... Young."

Minseok bent over laughing at JongIn's comment and his face turned red. Once Minseok pulled himself together, he looked deeply at the group of ninth graders that all say lazily on the chairs. Each a bit different but still all the same.

"None of you are going to like High School, it . The only good things about the freshmen are the girls. They all act like they’re innocent but you’d be surprised," he nodded at the group of boys.

“There was this really hot chick, her name was Suho and she signed up for the dance team. I’m planning to teach her some few moves,” he winked and slapped Minseok on the back. They laughed together and Lay rolled his eyes, wanting to move on to another topic.

"What's up with Luhan?" lay asked, stretching his arms over his head.

"Oh you don't want to get me started," Minseok rolled his eyes and went to close up the remaining items. “He’s good but college has ruined him. He’s either working or studying. I can’t believe it’s the same guy, last year he was hosting all the big parties but now...he’s like another person.”

"Well, I have to get going. My eyesight , especially at night time. I'll see you guys later," Lay sighed as he walked out of the room, leaving the door open and exiting through one of the large back doors of the school. His house was only a couple blocks away.

"Bye Freshie!"