Jin

Not like the movies

“Come on. You know that would never happen in real life.” I said to my best friend, Yoona. “You have no imagination.” She mumbled back as she helped me tie my apron. “It’s just so unrealistic!” I continued. I knew she was rolling her eyes at me. “I mean think about it! If we were really to spill a customer’s coffee all over them like they do in those silly dramas, they'd be furious and we’d probably get fired. They wouldn’t say it was fine and give us their number.” I heard her sigh behind me. “It’s nice to dream.” She said giving me a smile before we headed out to start our shifts.

 

The first half of my shift passed really quickly, without anything exciting happening. Around lunch time the most gorgeous looking guy came into the café. Yoona elbowed me as she spotted him, grinning madly. “He’s so hot!” she whispered before rushing forward to take his order. I took a second longer to admire his figure before heading out to the floor to clean up the tables. I’ll agree that he’s super good looking, but he’s not quite my type.

 

I filled my tray with empty mugs and plates as the handsome stranger picked up his order and headed towards the exit. He didn’t even look in my direction, walking past me as if I was invisible, he even bumped into me, making me spill half a mug of cappuccino down myself. I mumbled a curse as the lukewarm liquid soaked into my trousers and dribbled down into my shoe. Perfect.

 

A wad of napkins appeared in front of my face. “Here.” I turned to thank the napkin wielding stranger, my words dying in my throat as I took in his appearance. He was super tall, his face was perfect, matched with a strong body. He made the other guy look completely ordinary in comparison. “T-Thanks.” I stuttered as I mopped at my soaked clothes. “You should probably go get changed.” He said, noticing that the napkins were doing little to help. “I will. Thanks again.” I said as I quickly darted to the back room, abandoning my tray.

 

I grabbed a replacement uniform, Yoona taking great delight in laughing at my humiliation. I looked around for my handsome, napkin wielding stranger, but he had already left. I pouted a little, wishing that I had the opportunity to thank him when I didn’t look like I had just peed myself. I went back out to collect my tray which had been moved to another table. I picked up the tray and made my way back to Yoona who was finishing up serving a customer. I dumped the plates and mugs into the sink, Yoona appearing at my side. “Hey, this is for you.” She said, handing me a napkin, a huge smile on her face.

 

You ran off so quickly I didn’t get the chance to give you this.

      - Jin (Napkin guy)

 

I grinned at the phone number that he had carefully written onto the napkin. Yoona chuckled at me. “I thought the baristas were meant to write their phone numbers on the cups for the cute customers?” she asked. I laughed as I folded up the napkin and slipped it into my pocket for safe keeping. “That would be too cliché.”