9th Step

Until you can run away from me

“When we use the “we” pronoun we place two people behind a joint action almost as if they were one only person.”

The Orange Girl, Jostein Gaarder

 

 ♦ Ha Yun 

 

“Jinki?” Jung asked making Jinki break eye contact with Ha Yun. “It’s really you!”

Ha Yun frowned wondering what she meant. Of course it was him!

“I didn’t expect to see you here….”

“Like outside of the hospital or a bed?” Jinki added making Ha Yun smile.

She never liked Jung. Not because she was his girlfriend, there were some he had that she actually liked, but because she was selfish and clearly an idiot.

She probably never realized that Jinki could leave the hospital and maybe try to have a normal life.

“Yes...that!” Jung added her eyes moving from Jinki to Ha Yun.

“Hey, how are you?” Ha Yun greeted rudely, grabbing a French frie to eat it.

“Fine but…” Jung turned her attention back to Jinki “How are you?! I truly miss you!”

The comment made Ha Yun snort and she couldn’t take her eyes off of Jinki to check his reaction.

He was expressionless looking at Jung as if he also didn’t believe what she said,  before he grabbed Ha Yun’s glass of soju drinking it.

“It was supposed to be only one!” Ha Yun complained but he ignored her, looking at Jung.

There it was. She was losing him again. For a brief moment Ha Yun felt a chemistry between them, she almost made the mistake of confessing to him. Yes he knew about what she felt but she never directly confessed beforea and said that she truly loved him.

“Are you saying you regret breaking up with me?” Jinki asked as if he was asking the weather forecast.

Jung seemed speechless with his honesty and Ha Yun wondered if maybe she shouldn’t let them be alone.

“Well…it’s not like I didn’t have my reasons….but…”

“Too late!” Jinki interrupted her “I’m dating Ha Yun now!”

That made Ha Yun choke on her fries and she had to cover coughing.

“I didn’t know...Well I was suspicious since you were always so close but...You make a good couple!” Jung added before she bid her goodbyes.

Ha Yun barely heard her, drinking from the soju bottle so she could make the food go down.

He almost killed her with that comment.

“I’m sorry I lied!” Jinki said while she cleaned the tears from the corners of her eyes.

Yes it was only a lie!

“It’s ok. You wanted to hurt her. I understand! She is a !” Ha Yun smiled weakly her heart still beating fast because of his words.

I’m dating Ha Yun….it sounded so beautiful coming out from his lips.

“It’s not like I wanted to hurt her.” He said rubbing an invisible stain on the table “I wanted to drive her away. She was right in leaving me.”

“No she wasn’t!” Ha Yun insisted "She is a and deep down you know that!" He he raised a hand to quiet her down.

“She might have been a.... but she was right! I can’t be with anyone. I can’t love anyone. No one deserves to live besides me as a nurse. Look what happened last night...” He meant the bathroom accident.

Ha Yun swallowed knowing exactly what he meant, knowing that those words were for her too.

“I don’t want to tie anyone to me, to this reality I live in. It’s not right and I simply can’t do it.”

“It’s not tying if a person wants to stay.” Ha Yun added but Jinki wasn’t listening to her already, moving his wheelchair to leave.

“We should go home!”

The date was over.

 
Text-Divider.png

 

 ♦ Jinki 

 

Ha Yun seemed mad and Jinki knew why.

The physical therapy started and he was wrapping up the first week already and Ha Yun spoke to the doctor before he left the hospital. She was mad about what she heard at the hospital, about his lack of effort.

He moved his wheelchair next to the window and then grabbed his cellphone to play some games. Lately he was slowly going back to his routines and things he liked.

From the corner of his eyes he saw Ha Yun’s bare thighs so he looked up, his eyes moving from her denim shorts to her arms crossed in front of her chest, her condemning eyes on him.

“What?”

She placed her hands on each side of his chair and leaned forward making him a little nervous with her closeness.

“Lee Jinki the lazy that slacks at therapy!”

Oh she knew already! She knew about how he was not doing his best at the therapy, about how he was doing it basically because he promised he would if she tried for college.

“My exam is next week!” She said making sad puppy eyes at him instead.

That was her plan B and it was working.

“I’m doing it! I told I would and I am going to the therapy every day!”

“And doing zero at it!” She exclaimed upset releasing the chair and biting her lower lip upset. “This is not a game Lee Jinki! This is your way to get well!”

“I’m not going to get well! Miracles don’t happen!”

“It’s not a miracle! Are you deaf?” Ha Yun grabbed the phone from his hand and he groaned “The doctor said you have 60% of chance to walk Jinki! This is not a stupid game on your phone! It’s your life!”

“EXACTLY!” He screamed “It’s my ing life! And as I told you before its 40% of chance of me not walking ever!” I don’t want to find out in which side I am, thanks!”

She didn’t scream back at him and took a deep breath instead.

“Well then just be a coward. Settle for this life stuck to a wheelchair. Do nothing...why don't you just wait for death!”

“I should be dead already! I said that since the beginning!”

Ha Yun groaned stumping her feet on the floor and Jinki looked at her surprised with her outburst. She was the one always inciting him into arguments and now she was acting all frustrated?!

She released a scream and then turned to him as angry as he never saw her.

“If you did die in that car accident you wouldn’t be here you idiot! We wouldn’t have gone to the aquarium together or play chess or read a book together...nothing would have happened. We wouldn’t even be having this freaking argument because you are an idiot!”

He blinked his eyes astonished and Ha Yun placed her hands on his chest pushing him with all her strength, his wheelchair sliding on the floor.

“You know what? If you want to die, die...it’s not like you are living right now. This is not the Lee Jinki I met and fall in love, the one I love! AND IT’S NOT BECAUSE OF YOUR LEGS! It’s because he wouldn’t be scared of doing his best at anything!”

He didn’t react still in shock analyzing her words and she seemed to have notice the same he did because she blushed deeply and it wasn’t for anger, it was because she just confessed to him. She gave him the phone back and stared at him in silence.

She said she loved him and he moved his mouth trying to find something to say but Ha Yun screamed at him instead. 

“YOU STUPID MAN!”

She stormed to her room and he stood there alone in the living room thinking about what just happened.

She was right. She was totally right about what she said and he was out of words to say.

Jinki moved his hands on the wheels of his chair turning it on the direction of her bedroom but he gave up halfway.

She loved him. It wasn't as if he didn'tknow already but hearing it that clearly coming out from ...

His heart was beating so fast and even though they just had their biggest fight ever he couldn't stop smiling!  

Jinki had a lot of thinking to do. She loved him and what did he felt towards her?!