14th Step

Until you can run away from me

In this fairytale there were no restrictions. (…) Happiness belonged to us.

The Orange Girl, Jostein Gaarder

 

 ♦ Ha Yun 

 

Ha Yun stopped beside the track field and then waved at the man running on the other side.

Jinki…

It was funny how he never liked to run but now he did it often.

He said that he loved it now because he could taste what he recovered easier when he was pushing himself to the limit.

She waited for him to reach her and complained once he hugged her and kissed her lips. “You are all sweaty!”

“Aigo!” He laughed at her reaction his eyes moving to the skirt she was wearing. “My college girl looks so beautiful today!”

“I had a presentation! I told you!”

“Did it go well?” he asked cleaning his neck with a towel he grabbed from his bag on the ground.

“Yes. Very well! Not thanks to you that barely let me prepare every night!”

“It’s not my fault that you keep seducing me!”

“I don’t!” She argued back “I received your text to meet so what is wrong?!”

He did send her a message saying it was urgent and she was a little worried but he seemed to be fine now that she was in front of him.

“Tomorrow is the last day I have to go to the hospital for a checkup. You must go with me!” he rubbed his sweaty neck and Ha Yun checked him out. She loved the way his running shorts stick to his muscled legs.

“Will you?” He asked smiling teasingly noticing her expression.

Lately she rarely went with him so that request was a little unusual.

“I have a lecture in the morning.”

“You need to come! It’s really important!”

She looked at him and it did seem imperative for Jinki that she went with him. Maybe because it was the last and it had a special meaning to him.

“Ok!”

He did a happy dance, similar to the ones she normlay did, which made her smile “But you could have asked me tonight! Why make me come here?!”

“I wanted you to see me run. You always get this proud look on your face. Besides this way we can have lunch together before I go to work!”

She pouted knowing that he tricked her and he pinched her cheek.

“Watch me run!” He announced placing the towel around her neck “…And come back to you because there is nowhere to run beside your arms!” He blinked his eye at her and Ha Yun sighed watching him run, completely enamored with him and what he said.

Lee Jinki was such a tease sometimes. She stepped forward. Her eyes following him and she realized he was right.

Ha Yun loved to see him run, mostly the part when he ran towards her again, back to her.

 

 

Text-Divider.png

 

 ♦ Jinki 

 

Jinki and Ha Yun left the hospital decided to commemorate.

“We should invite all our friends and go out to drink!”

Lately he was slowly recovering his lost friendships, the friends Jinki pushed away during the time he was a complete depressing mess.

“Sure! It’s a good idea!”

She walked into the direction of the car he was now driving. Since he recovered fully he decided to drive again and got a new car.

However Jinki pulled Ha Yun away from it and grabbed her hand.

She followed him in the direction of the hospital garden wondering what they were doing there after so many months.

“Do you remember how we used to play games here?” He asked releasing her and stepping under the big tree where they stayed so many times before playing chess.

“Of course I remember! You were so hard to deal with back then!”

“Here I realized I loved you for the first time!”

“What?”

Jinki embarrassedly rubbed his head and Ha Yun smiled softly at him.

“When we were playing chess, the way you always spoke to me and made me see things and how you sparkled.”

“I sparkled?” She giggled covering and Jinki grabbed her hand pulling it away from her lips.

“I realized that day that I loved you all along. You were always special to me and in a way you were always my orange girl...well hallabong girl” he chuckled with his joke but she didn’t react hearing his words with full attention. “But then I started seeing you in another light and suddenly you weren’t just that special girl that was my friend. You were so much more.”

“Oh!” She exclaimed and he knew he was saying the right things to make that moment special. It wasn’t only the right things, it was the truth.

“It doesn’t matter what will happen from now on. Life can be very unpredictable. One year ago I wouldn’t be here with you saying this. I wouldn’t even be near this hospital or wanting to run every day!” He took a deep breath, still holding her hand on his “I know that whatever happens, if we are together we can survive it. And since I am completely and officialy recovered I now can do this without any hesitation…”

“Do what?” She asked just before he kneeled in front of her “OH MY GOD!”

He chuckled with her reaction but tried to make a serious expression just for the question. It was a serious question after all.

“Ha Yun,” She trembled in expectation almost making him smile “Will you marry me?”

“YES!” She answered immediately and he stood up just in time to grab her in his arms when she threw herself at him.

They kissed and then he twirled with her around on his arms making her giggle.

One year ago after the accident he would never imagine that he would be asking his best friend to marry him, that he would be standing on his own feet again and that he would be able to twirl her around like that.

The amazing things Jinki can do now because of Ha Yun!

 

A.N: Next chapter is the last! ^^