8th Step

Until you can run away from me

“I’ll tell you something that occupies my thoughts a lot at the moment: each day that passes, and each small thing we find to do together, increases the chance that you’ll remember me.”

The Orange Girl, Jostein Gaarder

 

 

 ♦ Ha Yun 

 

Ha Yun bit the tip of her pen while she looked at Jinki in front of her, sitting on his wheelchair, his elbow on the table while he worked on his laptop, sending emails to some editors.

“I’m bored!” She said trying to get a reaction from him. Ever since she arrived from work at the grocery shop he barely spoke to her. It was like that ever since the bathroom accident the previous night. She wondered if he was mad, embarrassed, frustrated...She needed him to speak to her.

“Aren’t you studying?” He asked knowing that she was preparing for the college admission exams.

“I’m not sure this is what I want to do.” Yes she regretted not studying more but it wasn’t as if she had more money or time now. “I won’t be able to have much time to work or be at home.”

That made him raise his eyes to her and he didn’t seem pleased with her answer.

“Oh you mean you won’t have time to stay with the cripple? Help him go to the bathroom?”

Ha Yun threw the pen to the table making it roll on his direction. “Well let’s just argue then!” She crossed her arms “Let’s argue about me not wanting to go to college and about you not doing rehabilitation to start walking again! Let’s see who is the biggest coward here then!”

He sent her an angry look but Ha Yun wasn’t afraid.

“I said I would think about it!”

“I’ll go to college if you start doing it!”

He seemed to ponder her words and then he grabbed the pen she threw offering it back to her.

“Study and get in and I’ll do it!”

His comment made her smile and she was sure that they were finally getting somewhere.

“Really?”

“Yeah really!” He said, his attention back on the laptop.

“Promise?” She needed to be sure.

“Promise!”

Ha Yun stood up, did a happy dance that he seemed to ignore and then walked in his direction to give him a quick hug.

Jinki barely moved with her awkward hug but she didn’t care.

“You know what?! Let’s celebrate! Let’s go out!”

He blinked his eyes confused looking at her.

“Out?”

“Yes. Let’s do something fun. It’s sunny outside. We can go for a walk or maybe. YES!” she raised her finger in the air as if she had the best of the ideas “Let’s go to the aquarium!”

Jinki scrunched his nose before speaking “I’m not a toy for you to show off….and besides the aquarium? That’s like for kids and couples to visit!”

His words made her a little embarrassed but she quickly dodged his comment.

“I’m going to get changed! You don’t have to change cos you look perfect like that!” She added quickly grabbing her study materials from over the table. He did look good with a white shirt and black pants. Perfect as always! “But girls need to do make up and other things you know?”

Why was she speaking so much and so quick as a fool?!

Ha Yun run to her bedroom and closed the door.

She was going out with Jinki alone for the first time!

They had a date! For him it probably meant nothing but for her it was memories she was making that she would cherish forever, even after he didn’t need her anymore.

 

 

Text-Divider.png

 

 

 ♦ Jinki 

“I’m not a kid!” Jinki said from the tenth time while Ha Yun pushed his chair, pointing at the fishes and explaining things to him as if he was really a kid.

He was acting cranky but he was actually enjoying that visit to the aquarium like she called it.

Actually he preferred to call it a date but apparently Ha Yun didn’t see it as one. He was after all a disabled man she was taking care of and her friend.

He wasn’t even sure if she had feelings for him anymore after all the things he made her go through, after all the things he told her before, after the night she saw him pee himself.

“Do you know that there are small sharks that can fit on the palm of your hand?” Ha Yun asked him, leaning her head forward making him be able to smell her perfume.

“Really? You do seem to like this a lot!”

“I always liked animals. That’s why studying biology seems like fun.”

“If you pass the college admission exam!”

She hit him on his head making Jinki smile. “Don’t hit the man in the wheelchair! People are looking at you funny!”

His comment made Ha Yun worried and she realized that some people were actually looking at her.

That made Jinki laugh and she pushed him forward with all her strength. Her actions making him have more fun than the actual visit to the aquarium.

 

star_divider_by_1julivia-d82bhaa.png

 

“Hum it’s delicious!” Ha Yun exclaimed eating the rest of the chicken while Jinki munched on his food slowly.

They had time. It was early night and it wasn’t as if he wanted to go home soon. He never had so much fun ever after the accident like he was having that day.

After the aquarium they did some shopping, well she did some shopping. That consisted basically of one pair of black shorts that he offered her. 

She probably had dozens of them since she wore them all year round but still he saw how she looked at them as if they were the only piece of clothing in the store. Of course he bought it for her even though she complained because he didn't even let her pay the house expenses. He owed her so much more than money could ever pay.

Then they left the store when he ruined everything and went against one of the clothes racks.

Now they were eating dinner beside one of the busiest streets of Hongdae, the music of the street performances filling the night.

He wasn’t eager to enter a taxi again to go back home and for now he only wanted to watch Ha Yun eat while he pretended that he was just a normal person, the same Lee Jinki from before.

“Do I have anything on my face?” She asked after a while.

“No.” He said looking around him noticing how two women on the table next to them were looking at him. “Everyone keeps looking at me!” He was the anamoly after all.

Ha Yun followed his gaze and smiled “That’s because you are handsome, Lee Jinki.” She the chicken sauce from her fingers and that caught his attention.

“W-why aren’t you using a napkin?!! “ he complained grabbing a piece of paper from the table and grabbing her fingers to clean them which surprised Ha Yun.

“Are you ashamed of my lack of lady like skills?” She asked but he didn’t answer because the truth was far worse.

It aroused him the way she and her fingers slowly. It was y...too y!

He released her hand and crumpled the paper confused. Maybe that was an after effect of the accident. The doctor did say that he could still feel ual attraction, that he could still have . Maybe his body was reacting to her slowly because of it, maybe he missed being with a woman.

That turned things a little awkward between them, at least for Jinki’s point of the view.

Ha Yun seemed oblivious and she grabbed her glass pouring soju on it. Jinki tried to stop her since he was the one who should be pouring it for her but she pulled the glass away and placed the bottle on the table.

“Drink it!” She offered the glass to him with soju and Jinki widened his eyes wondering if she was going crazy.

“I take so many painkillers. I can’t drink alcohol!”

“It can be our little secret. Just one glass! So we can cheer for our first day of adventure together!”

Their first date….he translated in his head feeling like an idiot.

He grabbed the glass and drank it in one go. He did miss drinking!

“Thank you!” he said earnestly.

“It’s only a glass of soju. It’s not a treasure box filled with gold!” She laughed with her own joke but Jinki kept looking at her serious.

“Thank you for today. For a while I forgot about my legs. It was just me again…” He smiled because that was her special skill “You treat me as if I’m still the same idiot I was before the accident!”

“You were never an idiot...well sometimes!” He chuckled with her answer and Ha Yun smiled proudly looking at her empty bowl. “No problem!”

She raised her eyes to him and Jinki felt it again. There was a chemistry between them that wasn’t there before. She was still the same though and he was sure he was the same even after the accident. Then what changed?! Maybe it was because this time he was giving her a closer look, maybe because he was finally seeing Ha Yun for who she was, for the blessing she was as a friend and a woman.

“Jinki….” she said her lips, her hand moving on the table on his direction.

He knew she was going to tell him something important and even before she said anything he knew she was going to maybe confess what she felt ever since before, when he was blind to who she was.

“Jinki?” someone else said making him raise his eyes up, breaking contact with Ha Yun’s. Jung was there, looking at him with a huge smile. “It’s really you!”