Empathy

불분명 (Obscurity)

 

     I stared as his fleeting figure as he hurriedly leads himself towards the door. Self-consciously, I breathed into my hand and sniffed.

My breath seems fine.

I turned and stared at the mortified expressions of the people. Obviously seeing somebody tumble down the stairs isn’t something you would see every day, let alone seeing a blind person fall from the top of the stairs, gets disoriented and then storming out of the corridor as if he’d seen a ghost.

“Give him some time, people,” I said quietly. “This isn’t gonna be easy for him.”

Taking the set of books on my hand, I set out to my locker, deposited the books and lethargically closed the locker door, my mind constantly fleeting back to the past events.

At least the surprise party was a success.

I grimaced. The surprise party was one thing. But if things continue to go on like this, it’ll only be a burden for him. I’m sure he already realized that before coming here, but maybe I could make things easier for him.

I sighed.                                               

The only question now is, how? Am I being a burden, or am I being a helping hand?

*                                                                    *                                                                              *

     “Ouch!” I cried, the blood from the fresh incision I made while using the kitchen knife. Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy, my brain nagged.

“Shut up, I did not see that coming!” I said out loud, eyeing the wound as if it was a huge pimple.

It’s not that deep, I thought. It’ll take a few days to heal, but wounds like these usually won’t leave a mark. Dabbing some alcohol on the cut, I winced slightly when the alcohol started to take effect. Unlocking my teeth, I started to breath evenly while I placed some medicine on the surface of the wound, frequently blowing in the hopes that the pain would minimize. After all that was done, I placed a dressing and taped it with a small bandage.

I sighed, looking at the outcome of my clumsiness.

What if Donghae had the same experience? Who would help him? Who would place a bandage on his wound?

Shaking my head, I dismissed my errant thoughts and went back to the kitchen, pouring oil onto the frying pan and taking the sliced pieces of onion rings for sautéing when I heard a set of high heels approaching me from behind.

“Hello, mom,” I said without turning around.

“Hello!” she smiles, patting me on the back while eyeing the contents on the frying pan. “What’s cooking?”

I smiled at her usual curiosity. “Just some beefsteak, mom. I’m not in the mood for experimenting today. I know the chef in you doesn’t approve.”

She chuckled. “Nah, don’t worry, I understand. We all have our sulky moments. I’d love to stay for dinner, but I’m afraid I have to go out to pay some bills. I bet that beefsteak tastes great, though.”

I laughed. “As if, mom. You’re a million times better than me. You know that.”

“Being better doesn’t mean you can’t compliment people anymore,” she winked. I’ll just eat at a local food chain tonight. And perhaps, if you leave some food for me, I’ll give it a taste test when I get home, okay?” she smiled.

I nodded. “Just bring me some sweets too! It’s been a while since I ate something sweet.”

She laughed. “Okay, okay. Anything for you.” She paused before kissing my hair. “Don’t stay up too long, okay, Yoona? Don’t forget to lock the locks which are accessible by keys before you sleep. Just the ones which can be opened by keys, okay? Don’t bolt the door shut. I can't get in if you’ll do that.”

I rolled my eyes and laughed at her reminders. “Sure, sure mom.”

She smiled before waving at me and moving towards the door. The moment I heard one of her Stilettos step outside, I knew I had to ask her about something – about Donghae.

“Mom?” I hesitated, lowering the fire.

“Yes, baby?” she peered, closing the door and reentering the living room.

“I have a problem, and I don’t know how to deal with it,” I said in a low voice.

“What is it?” she asked, her brow creased with concern.

“Have you ever had the feeling that you’re trying to help someone with their problem, but for some reason, you’re not sure if you’re being of help or being a burden? I’m confused whether I should help the person or not.”

My mom smiled. For some reason, she had a trace of amusement in her eyes. “So you’re saying you’re having a problem on coping with other people’s problems?”

The way she said it, it sounded somewhat silly, but nevertheless, I nodded anyway.

“You know, the main reason why some people might feel that the person trying to help them is being a burden rather than being of help is because they feel that the person trying to help cannot understand what they feel no matter how many times you say “it’s okay.” They feel that even if you sympathize them, you cannot really see the problem the way they see it. Seeing the problem in their shoes, so to speak.”

I nodded, not knowing what else to say. “So you’re saying that –”

“That person needs empathy. He needs someone who would be able to see the problem in his perspective.”

In his perspective. In his shoes. Empathy. My brain recited.

“Hey, earth to Yoona, are you still there?” my mom said, waving her hand in front of my face.

I blinked. “Yeah, er- thanks, mom. I was just thinking deeply.”

She smiled. “Well, I hope that you would be able to solve your problem. You’re a big girl now. You can handle that, right?”

I laughed and playfully hit her on the shoulder. “Of course. I’m not baby Yoona anymore. She died when I reached thirteen.”

Mom laughed before standing up and fixing the bag on her shoulders. “Well then, I’d better go now, or else I wouldn’t be able to pay anything. Be safe, adult Yoona.” she snickered, emphasizing the word “adult.”

I stuck out my tongue to her while suppressing a laugh. “Goodbye, mom – and thanks!”

*                                                                    *                                                                              *

Empathy. See the way he sees. Empathy. Put yourself in his shoes.

I shook my head. This is stupid, I know I shouldn’t be doing this.

Yes, you should, my brain argued. This is the only way you would truly understand him. I sighed. For once, I didn’t argue with my subconscious.

Taking the piece of cloth with my hands, I slowly closed my eyes and blindfolded myself with it, tying it securely at the back of my head. I’ve done it a lot of times before, but I never had the intention which I had now.

Don’t think about it. If Donghae can’t do it, there’s no reason for you to lose it.

Gingerly, I slowly stood up and used the back of the chair for support. When I was confident enough, I let go, taking a few sure steps forward.

BAM!

A sharp pain travelled up my leg and I instinctively reached down my stubbed toe, rubbing it to ease the pain. I didn’t have to guess to know that my toe had hit something hard. Ow, ow, ow, that hurt! Every muscle in my leg screamed for mercy.

Get up!

I stopped moping and stood up. I extended my hands this time, trying to feel my way towards the kitchen while clawing empty air trying to feel any obstruction when my brain had a crazy idea.

Stairs.

No, absolutely not. The stairs are accident-prone areas. I couldn’t possibly go up while my sight is robbed from me. But nevertheless, I found myself feeling the way towards the stairwell. Stubborn me.

Slowly, I tried to ascend the stairs as fast as I can, getting a few slips in the process, but none of which were any serious. I descended and ascended them again, and again and again, until I went up with no slips, without holding the railing and doing it while running.

     Satisfied by my earlier feat, I went back down and found my way to the kitchen, feeling the inside of the cupboard for a plate and a glass. Slowly leading myself to the grill, I transferred the beefsteak to my plate, placed the frying pan on the sink, and set out for the rice cooker and took out a couple scoops of rice. I slowly headed back to the dining room with my right hand leading the way. After setting the table in front of me, I went back to the kitchen, took out juice powder from the fridge, and made myself juice while concentrating on the darkness in front of me. I then went back to the table and ate in silence, lost in my thoughts.

After what seemed like forever, I took the blindfold off and stared at the table. It took a few seconds before my eyes adjusted to the lights again and when it did, I saw that I had made a bit of a mess while doing all these.

If Donghae lives every day of his life like this, no wonder he seems irritable. Even though if you grow used to it, it’s still something you wish you could take off. Like this blindfold.

I drained the last bits of my juice while staring into empty space. After what I experienced, I wished that Donghae’s disability was as temporary as the blindfold on my hand.

 

Aigoo, sorry for the late update guys, too busy nowadays. I hope you'll be contented with the update! Oh, and if you're in the mood for a short story, you might want to check out my newest fanfic, it's still on the process of being complete, though. http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/340080/sixty-seconds-will-suffice-angst-drama-infinite-myungsoo-romance-sunggyu-you Thanks guys, more power to you!