The Sun

Gravity

11:30PM Red Velvet Dorm

 

Red Velvet entered their dorm after a long night of practice. Yeri, Seulgi, and Irene plopped down on the couch while Wendy went to the kitchen to get water for everyone. On the other hand Joy hurriedly went to her room and walked out just as quickly. Seulgi squinted at Joy’s rapid movements. Typically after a long night of practice Joy would be the first to be on the couch and recommend a fun activity to do to unwind. Seulgi found her lack of interest in having a de-stress activity odd.  Looking closer at Joy Seulgi also noticed she was dressed like she going out. When she thought about it more over the past month Joy would always mysteriously leave the dorm once a week. 

 

“I am going to go for a little bit I’ll be back,” Joy said as she approached the living room.

 

“Hold on, hold on Joy-ie. Where you off to,” asked Irene quizzically as she sat up more alert. It was close to 9 o clock and the rest of members were almost dead tired. Irene too was puzzled by Joy’s alertness.

 

“You know I noticed every week you go out without telling us where you’re off. Before we can ask you anything you scurry out the door,” Seulgi added. After pausing, she continued on, “I just hope everything is okay.”

 

Joy looked her members embarrassed and turned to Wendy for support. Wendy nodded back to Joy signaling her to come out with the truth. It almost been a month I should tell them…it’s only fair.

 

Joy sat down on the floor opposite of the members and started to talk, “I didn’t hide this from you because I didn’t trust you. I hid this because I am still unsure and…scared. I didn’t want to jinx anything. During my vacation I ran into Sungjae at the river bench we went to once during filming. We talked and he confessed he loved me”

 

The Red Velvet members gasped and eyes widen. Joy continued on, “ He knew about my farewell letter too. I was happy to hear him say he also had feelings for me but I felt like my heart wouldn’t be able to offer him anything. He managed to convince me to give him a chance. So I am.” Joy smiled sheepishly at her unnies and Yeri.

 

Estatic to hear the news all the Red Velvet members jumped up and hugged Joy. Their hugs gave a sense of release for Joy. She was relieved she finally told them what was going on and didn’t have to hide from them anymore.

 

“I am so happy for you that I can’t even be mad at you for hiding it so long!” Seulgi exclaimed as she started to pull away from Joy smiling from to ear.

 

“Unnie that’s great news,” Yeri chimed in also smiling.

 

As Irene started to pull away too she looked at Joy pleased. “You definitely do. So how long has this been going on? How are you two progressing,” Irene asked. Her fellow members sat down to give Joy space to explain.

 

Joy recounted how since June had been a busy month for Red Velvet since they started to prepare for their comeback. Despite their demanding schedule Joy told them managed to fit a small date with Sungjae every week. Each member listened diligently enraptured as Joy detailed her romantic comedy-like romance with Sungjae. Even Wendy sighed in admiration of the couple. However something dawn onto her.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be out with him,” Wendy asked frantically causing Joy look back at her in shock.

 

“Aiish yes! He told me he would here to pick me up in 20 minutes. It’s already been 30. I’m surprised he hadn’t called me yet. I have to go but when I get back I’ll tell you more I promise,” said Joy as she quickly stood up and waved to her members. They all cheered her on brightly before she closed the door.

 

“I can’t believe it! It’s like my fangirl dream come true,” Yeri squealed flopping her body on the couch in happiness.

 

“You’re so silly Yeri!” Seulgi laughed at Yeri’s antics.

 

Irene smiled at Yeri and Seugl. She turned her attention to Wendy. “Who else knows,” she asked while gesturing for the two of them to talk in the kitchen.

 

“Just us now. I didn’t ask Joy if she knew who in BTOB knows. I am sure at least Hyunsik does since some of other members are enlisted,” Wendy said following Irene into the kitchen.

 

Leaning on the counter Irene looked up at the ceiling as she continued to talk. “I know you’re making sure she’s being careful. But there’s always that risk it could come out.  Maybe we should urge her to tell Manager-nim at least?”

 

“Do you think she will be allowed to continue to date him if she does,” asked Wendy worriedly. She had heard her company sunbaes were allowed to date around their 6th or 7th year after their debut. It was Red Velvet’s 6th year into their contract so the company shouldn’t reprimand Joy for dating. She deserved a personal life; they all did. On the other hand Wendy wondered if it would it better for Joy to notify the company so they were at least aware in case it came out prematurely.

 

“I am conflicted. I think she should notify management so at least the company knows in case something happens. But I also think she deserves her privacy. The relationship is still budding and I know she is still guarded with Sungjae. She’s scared of getting hurt when she’s been pinning for him for years,” Wendy shared with Irene who looked pensive.

 

Nodding in agreement Irene said, “When the time is right I trust Joy will know what to do. But you’re imagine she would be guarded. From letting him go in one week to be confronted by him the next must have not been easy on her heart. If it were I, it would be too hard for me to believe. But when I think of it she has been brighter this past month.”

 

Both girls turned silent to think about Joy’s brighter disposition. Irene broke the silence to ask Wendy, “Do you think he really loves her.”

 

Wendy returned her gaze to Irene and answered, “I don’t know. I mean like you said it’s hard to believe because it’s almost too perfect. But I think he does. Why would he come take advantage of her now if he only wanted to play her? Also he doesn’t have a playboy image.”

 

Irene sighed, “You’re right. There’s no reason to doubt him yet. Regardless I am happy she’s getting her happiness.” She started to smile wistfully adding, “It might be time you and I started to find our own happiness too.”

 

Wendy looked at Irene suspiciously before smiling quickly after realizing what Irene was insinuating. “Do you still have his number,” Wendy asked.

 

 

Parking Lot Floor of RV’s Dorm

 

Joy walked quickly to toward the parking lot entrance anticipating to seeing Sungjae’s car waiting in a secluded area. As she expected his black Audi was parked with the engine still on. She opened the passenger door swiftly as she rushed inside the car.

 

“I am so sorry you waited so long and it’s getting late! I have a good reason promise,” Joy apologized profusely.

 

Sungjae chuckled at Joy’s concern and patted her on the head. “It’s fine I only waited 10 minutes. But you are right it is getting late...you should get a little punishment for your tardiness,” he teased. Joy gave him her puppy eye look asking for forgiveness. It made Sungjae laugh even more, “You’re really good at imitating animals you know that? A frog , a fish, and now a dog! You’re so talented Sooyoungie.”

 

Joy stopped her puppy face and rolled her eyes in response to Sungjae’s jokes. She couldn’t help but giggle a little bit and smiled at him.  In return Sungjae smiled back and began to pull out of the parking lot.  When got onto the freeway Sungjae wanted to ask her about he day knowing she just came from practice. Glancing to his right he found Joy passed out asleep with her dangling around. He choked up seeing her asleep like that but he was also glad she could get some sleep while he drove. Their plan was to visit a new dessert place for a quick midnight snack.

 

When they finally arrived at their destination Sungjae parked and turned to Joy. He gently shook her shoulder to wake her up. She slowly opened her eyes before sitting up straight.

 

“I’m awake,” said Joy as she pushed her hair behind her ear.  Peering closer something shiny caught Sungjae’s eye causing him to smile.

 

“Hey is that what I think it is,” he asked amused while he reached to examine the familiar microphone earring.  It warmed his heart to see she still treasured his simple gift.

 

Joy smiled demurely and responded, “It is. I thought it would be fitting to wear it again. Since we’ve started…dating.”

 

Sungjae beamed at Joy her even more hearing her say out loud that they were dating. It made him want to kiss her. He remembered though he needed to keep calm despite his raging emotions.  Throughout their time together thus far he let her set the pace.  Unlike on the show he set the pace by being the cautious one while she wanted to move quickly. This time around she was guarded whereas he wanted to show her his world all at once. Despte his desire to move faster he didn’t want to pressure her and was willing to let her open up when she wanted. He would be patient.

 

Seeing the impassioned look in eyes Joy froze feeling the tension in the air. Their last two dates had been like this one moment they would be joking freely then another an electric tension would take over. In those times Joy became hyper aware of Sungjae and his manly charisma. Sensing Joy’s apprehension Sungjae shook his head and softly teased Joy, “You said we’re dating.” He quickly stuck his tongue at her then exited the car.

 

Joy tried to collect herself before she follow suit by getting out of the car.  When she closed her door she saw Sungjae stretching his arms up high. She smiled to herself knowing that Sungjae was doing his best not to pressure her into anything. He didn’t realized how happy he made her though. Every weekly date would leave her weak in the knees. His morning and good night texts gave her strength everyday. She would have to pinch herself sometimes to make sure she wasn’t living in a dream. Her walls were slowly coming down and she was letting him in at her place. He was patient and she appreciated that. She wanted to show him her gratitude for his patience.

 

Joy walked toward to Sungjae’s side after he stopped stretching. He turned to her to usher into the restaurant but she surprised him when she calmly slipped her hand into his. Recovering fast he clenched her hand in reassurance as he lead toward the entrance. He stifled a goofy grin by looking the opposite direction of Joy. She grinned at his shyness crept up for the first time. She continued to hold on to his hand discreetly as their waiter led them to their table. After Joy looked around to see the restaurant was empty except them too.

 

Noticing Joy scanning the room Sungjae answered her quizzical look, “I pay the owners for the extra time after their original closing and for all their staff to sign a non-disclosure agreements.”

 

Joy nodded impressed with Sungjae’s thoroughness. He added, “As you can see…I really value my privacy. Especially now that we’re…dating.” He gulped to regain his composure and continued, “I don’t want you to risk anything that could damage your career or your relationship with your agency. I know we’re still in a trial phase.”

 

Joy reached for Sungjae’s hand again. “Thank you for going above and beyond. I didn’t even think about it. To be honest I never thought about it or thought you were that private of a person. I was just excited to see you,” Joy shared shyly.

 

“Of course—I am Oppa,” Sungjae teased. Joy shook her head in disbelief but still smiled.

Sungjae went on, “I know my social media presence can be misleading. I like sharing the parts of me my fans want to see or to assure them I am doing well. Sometimes it’s just nice to try to have a sense of normalcy in my life. I mean I do go to extremes to get it which isn’t normal but I like being able to mimic it.”

 

“I see that. BTOB has steadily increased in popularity and you,” she paused to smile to herself before adding, “It’s like you turned 20 and your stardom accelerated to the top. I remember you were one of the hottest idols during and after our filming. Everyone wanted you.”

 

“You’re one to talk Sooyoungie. If I remember correctly ‘Hot Joy’ was a hot topic for a while. When you showed your y side sometimes it made my insides boil,” Sungjae muttered bitterly at the same time he was trying to think of an example. “A-HA like when you danced to Sistar’s ‘Touch my Body’! Aish Sooyoung I was so glad you had a longer skirt than the other girls.”

 

Joy laughed hard at Sungjae’s reaction. Watching her laugh at him Sungjae scowled  and saw the waiter was coming with their dessert. The waiter placed their dessert down and left them to be on their own again. Still pouting Sungjag tried to change subjects, “Anyway… how was practice?”

 

After recuperating from her laugh attack Joy answered, “It went well. The dance is harder than we’re used to but it’s a good challenge.” She picked up a piece of their crepe layer cake to put into .

 

“I know you show me your new song yet but can I get a hint? Red or Velvet?” Sungjae asked cheekily trying to coax it of Joy. He eyed how Joy lips would wrap around her spoon.

 

Joy innocently looked him and popped her spoon out of then answered, “Velvet.”

 

“Ohhh Velvet and there’s a complicated dance? It’s going to be exciting I can tell.” Sungjae said excitedly trying to distract himself from paying too much attention to the way Joy was eating her cake.

 

“I hope so. That’s just the title song. We still have to record the rest of the album and perfect the dance,” Joy whined biting her bottom lip. Lucky for Sungjae she proceeded to lay her down on the table blocking his view of .

 

In an attempt to keep his cool Sungjae calmly bit out, “Don’t whine that’s not like you…I am sure all your hard work will be worth it. I mean you just finished your solo promotions. That had to be thrice as tiring.” He was thankful Joy couldn’t see the agony in his face at the moment.

 

“I know. I’m just tired I guess.” Joy sat up looking at Sungjae with sleepy eyes. Sungjae quickly changed his heated face to a smile. His expression softened when he saw how her eyes drooped again while she tried to stay awake. She tried to shake it off to show she was awake but her tired appearance betrayed her.

 

“Ai Joy-ah I think it’s time to take you home. Someone needs some rest,” Sungjae said as he patted her head softly.

 

2:30 AM at RV Dorm’s Parking Garage

 

Turning off his car Sungjae tried to nudge Joy awake but she was in a deep sleep. After a few more attempts of waking her Sungjae sighed in defeat. He would try to shake her softly and Joy’s only response was to turn her head to the other side before she started to snore softly again. Picking up her purse Sungjae searched for her key and phone. Her phone was locked so he couldn’t call any of the Red Velvet members. He also realized he didn’t know if she told them anything about him yet. They agreed to keep things between them for now so they wouldn’t raise any concerns. Both admitted to telling Wendy and Hyunsik already.  He conveniently left out him telling Sojin because felt like he needn’t worry. It wasn’t like Joy knew her either. Feeling out that he was out of options Sungjae figured they were going to find out eventually.

 

Sungjae grabbed her keys before getting out of the car. He walked toward the passenger door where Joy was and lightly lifted her from the chair. Sungjae applauded himself when managed to somehow to have her on his back in a piggy back. Once inside the elevator nudge Joy softly and asked, “What apartment are you on Sooyoung?”

 

“Ni, Ni, nine OH six.” Joy managed to get out before lolling her head back onto his shoulder.Laughing to himself Sungjae pressed the ‘9’ button and the elevator came to life. Reaching the 9th floor he walked to the apartment with the '906' on the right. Mustering up his courage he quietly tapped on the door.

 

He heard a few foot steps approach the door before it was quickly opened and  he was grabbed inside by Irene and Wendy frantically.

 

“Are you crazy? A neighbor could have seen you. They know we live here you know,” Irene asked confounded.

 

“Well she is dead asleep. And you know now too,” he asked incredulously looking back and forth at Irene and Wendy. He guessed she told them.

 

“Just today...Come on let’s bring her to her bed,” Wendy suggested pointing toward her room. Sungjae followed Wendy and gently laid Joy on her bed. He wanted to look around her room but from the looks on Wendy and Irene's face they wanted him out Joy’s room asap.

 

After shutting the door he walked toward the pair who were had  poker faces he had never seen before. Irene motioned for him to sit down on the couch. He knew they wanted to talk. No wanting to debate Sungjae simply sat down leaned over his knees with his hands clamped together and said “Ask away.”

 

Irene and Wendy followed suit. Wendy was the first to speak, “Do you really love her?”

 

“Yes,” Sungjae nodded staring straight back at them with serious look on his face.

 

“How can you know? The last time you saw her was 5 years ago and that was on a show. How can you answer so self-assured,” asked Irene sincerely.

 

Sighing Sungjae took the pressure off his knees and leaned back into the couch. Crossing his arms he looked toward the window next to him to answer, “Falling in love feels like free falling indefinitely. You freak out at first when you realize it’s happening to you. You know it’s real because you can’t stop it no matter how hard you try.” Returning to look back at Irene and Wendy anxiously he continued, “Staying in love with someone takes work and effort. Every step I have taken or move I have made since our last day on that show has been deliberate. I knew from that day I wanted to be in her orbit again. She’s like the sun that shines brightly and her light is the gravity that pulls me in. To be honest I have waited patiently for this chance. It would have been too risky to try before with your group securing your popularity and of course with the ban and all. You know about that,” he shrugged still with his arms crossed.

 

He looked away for a moment to smile to himself, “ I wasn’t planning on it being now even this year. In all honesty I thought maybe in 2 years. She threw me a fastball with her farewell letter then the universe gave me an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. I decided I might as well take my shot now.”

 

Irene and Wendy were taken a back from Sungjae’s unabashed honesty about his feelings about Joy and how deeply those feelings ran. To hear him vocalize out loud his feelings like that assuage their conscience.  “We are only asking because we want to protect her. She’s been happier this month than I have seen her in years. I can honestly tell you that. She glows like you said. Please take care of her,” Irene said before bowing. Wendy nodded and quickly bowed too.

 

“I know and I will. I promise I am going at her pace and making sure she’s comfortable. I want to this work so I am patient,” he said as he returned their bow.

 

“Well we give you our blessing. We’ve been rooting for you two forever,” Wendy smiled.

 

“Jeez we sound like parents,” Irene exasperated causing all three to laugh.

 

“Well she’s your Joy. I don’t blame you for being protective. I only want to do the same,” Sungjae said. After looking at his watch he saw the time he realized it was time for him to get going too. Irene and Wendy escorted him to the door and said good bye. When they turned around Joy was leaning against the wall next to her room.

 

Seeing Wendy and Irene she asked, “Do you think he meant everything he said about how he feels about me and what he is willing to do.”

 

Wendy and Irene turned to each other before looking at Joy sheepishly and nodding. Joy smiled and only answered, “ Good Night Unnies.” 

 

A/N: This has to be one of my favorite chapters to write. I loved writing a Sungjae who is trying to keep his cool and respects Joy's needs. I also wanted to Joy to show Sungjae she appreciates all his efforts. Sungjae puts himself out there unabashed and it's very differnt from the SJ from the show. It's fun writing him being forward and Joy being unsure and hesistant. I also I wanted to RV to see how serious he is, and of course at the end Joy is comforted from hearing him speaking so passionately about her. In the show I don't think she recieved that from him alot even though she always asked him what was on his mind. I think he wants to tell her no but he is worried his strong feelings will overwhelm her. 

 

Okay done rambling about my own chapter. It's uneditted but I'll be back to edit.Thank you thank you thank you to all  of you who have read, suscribed and commented. Your feedback always help and it's great to hear your opinions. Very grateful for you support.