A Promise Under the Stars

Gravity

“Sooyoung-ah?” Sunjae asked. He was surprised to see Joy as she clearly was surprised to see him.

 

“I can—I can go. Sorry,” Joy stuttered out. She couldn’t believe he was there standing in right front of her. It felt good to hear him utter her name and it brought chills down her back. She didn’t think she would ever hear that again either. All her efforts over the past couple of days seemed to crumble as her strong feelings for Sungjae rose to the surface. Trying to keep calm Joy took deep breaths and avoided looking him straight in the eye.

 

“No, no. Umm stay…please,” he said immediately standing up. Ever since their last filming he made habit to visit this very bench. It was one of only locations they filmed where there was relative privacy and he would not be bothered. He felt it was fitting to visit tonight days after their anniversary and her letter. He came here to think of plan how to approach Joy however it seemed the universe was presenting him with an opportunity. He could tell she was nervous as her eyes wandered everywhere but to him.

 

Joy finally looked up at Sungjae and wordlessly agreed by taking a seat on the bench. Sungjae followed suit and she could feel his gaze follow her every move. Silence engulfed both of them as they sat quietly on the bench. It was the first time in years they managed to be so close to one another. Mustering up her courage Joy asked, “How have you been? You look well.”

 

“Uh yeah…I am. I just finished filming another drama. I also recently moved out of the group’s dorm into my own apartment. Besides that you know the usual …work,” Sungjae replied sheepishly.  He sneaked a peek at Joy’s face. She was more beautiful than the last time he was able to be this close to her.  So pretty…

 

Wanting to know more about her Sungjae asked Joy. “How about you? I saw you had your solo debut. I really liked your mini-album, especially the last track. Congratulations.”

 

“Thank you,” Joy shyly responded. She blushed at the idea that he was still following her work closely. She always secretly hoped he cared about her even if it was a tiny bit. It was comforting to know he did. She continued, “I am well too. It was different performing without the rest of my members. Also more tiring without them since the spotlight is just on you. Regardless I enjoyed the experience. I wrapped up promotions last week so I have been on vacation since then.”

 

“That’s good you’re taking a break. You’ve worked hard,” Sungjae replied. Joy glanced at Sungjae as he spoke. She noted how he didn’t look like the somewhat shy young man she remembered five years ago. Instead beside her was a mature man who exuded confidence. As much as she wanted to get a way at first Joy could not deny she wanted him to keep talking like they did their last day of filming.

 

Sungjae sighed deeply and glanced at Joy from the corner of his eye. He decided he needed address the irony of their situation. Of all places Joy could have been tonight why she was here? He turned to face her and said, “Don’t you think it’s funny we both ended up here, at this bench, tonight?” He watched Joy’s body tense up at his question. Throughout their conversation he could tell she was being polite but guarded. He so badly wanted to know what was on her mind. We both came here for a reason.

 

Stunned by the frankness of his question Joy quickly tried to recoup herself before responding.  “Yes it is funny. I wasn’t expecting to see you here. The last time we were here was for filming. That was a fun day, “ said Joy. I wish he didn’t bring this up. I can’t tell him I’ve been coming here to release him from my heart. He doesn’t need to know I have felt for him this long either.

 

She was avoiding looking at him again but he didn’t care. There was no point in beating around the bush. He knew he needed to be direct if he wanted to make his point clear. After taking a moment to collect his thoughts Sungjae said, “I come here once in a while…”

 

Joy blinked trying to keep her cool. Watching her closely Sungjae continued, “I have been coming here for the past 5 years because here I can think of you freely without guilt or sadness. Here is where we shared a happy memory and like all our happy memories I hold them close to my heart.”

 

“Don’t—“ Joy said trying to stop him while she attempted to stand up. I can’t. I let you go Sungjae. Don’t do this to me now.

 

Ignoring her he stood up to took hold of her hand pulling her gently to closer to him.  She looked him in the eye with disbelief but he returned her stare with an earnest look. He continued, “On that show everything I felt and showed you was real. I have held you in my heart for five years now. I haven’t stopped loving you.”

 

Hearing him talk like this made her heart soar and ache at the same time.  She was elated to hear he loved her too but it didn’t stop her heart from feeling heavy again. She was doing so well these past couple days. She was starting to feel free from the burden what she thought was her one-sided love.

 

She tried to pull away but he held hand steady in his. “I wasn’t planning on telling you today, this year even. I was waiting for the right time when your popularity was secure and when I was ready. But seeing you here today I felt there was no point in waiting…”

 

He let go of her hand and she would have started to put distance between the two of them if he didn’t continue to say, “I know you love me too.”

 

“I—“  Joy started but he interrupted her.

 

“I read your letter,” Sungjae began before going on,  “I read it the moment you sent it on the app.”

 

Joy looked at him shocked. She didn’t think he would ever read the letter less download the application again. Joy was going to respond but in the distance she heard voices coming closer. Sungjae seemed to notice as well and he looked at her pointedly. He motioned toward the parking lot and Joy reluctantly nodded. She knew they couldn’t risk getting caught together especially considering the conversation they were having. Following his lead Joy walked briskly behind Sungjae. When they approached a black Audi Sungjae opened the passenger door for Joy to step inside. Once Joy was inside Sungjae climbed into his car as well.

 

The moment he closed his door Joy started to talk.  “You’re right I do love you. I have always loved you,” Joy said before tears started streaming down her face.  She closed her eyes as more tears fell before continuing,“ But I am not strong like you. My love for you took so much out of me without me even noticing. Until one day it just became too much and that’s why I wrote that letter. I didn’t think we would ever get the chance to meet again much less you would return my feelings. And as happy I am to hear you say you love me too I don’t think my heart can take it.  I need to take care of me Sungjae. I need time to heal which is something I have not allowed myself to do these past 5 years. Truthfully I may not even have anything to give you.”

 

It broke his heart to see her cry so deeply when he was used to cheerful Joy from before. He almost gave in to her wishes but he also remembered how hard he worked to be a man worthy to be her side. They both deserved a chance to be together…to at least try. Reaching for her hand again Sungjae began, “Then let me try. Give me a chance to show you how much you mean to me and how I want to be with you,” Sungjae begged. He looked at Sooyoung and prayed she give this one chance. To up the stakes he added, “One chance is all I ask…when you feel your heart can’t truly take it anymore then I will respectfully walk away.” He reached out to wipe some of the tears and cup her face.

 

Joy unconsciously nuzzled into Sungjae’s hand before she raised her eyes to look his face. He returned her look with a soft smile as he caressed her cheek. “We both deserve a chance. Why would both of us hold on to idea of the other for so long and not take this gamble to be together. I know you may feel tired and heavy-hearted. I have waited for this chance for a long time too.  I want to show you I have become a man who can take care of you, watch over you, and be someone you can depend on.”

 

Joy sighed and lifted her head away from Sungjae’s hand. Her first reaction was to say ‘No’ in order to save her heart from more heartache. But deep down she knew she wanted to let him try. Looking at him again she saw a strong Sungjae, very different from the shy bumbling twenty-one year old she knew. She wanted to know more about him and how he came to be. She wanted to know what it would be like to be with him. She wanted to know what it would feel like to love him freely and be love in returned. Although hesitant she looked at him optimistically and slowly nodded.

 

Sungjae tried not to beam too brightly and managed to give her a small reassuring smile.

“Thank you.” In an attempt to lighten the mood he added, “I promise you won’t regret it…you know I am your Oppa.”

 

Joy laughed and rolled her eyes at his old joke. “There’s that smile,” Sungjae said happy to see her smile a little bit.

 

“Well I guess some things never change huh?” Joy retorted back. Looking at the clock in the car Joy realized it was getting late. “I am sorry I need to go. I promised my appa I wouldn’t stay out too late.”

 

Sungjae nodded and both stepped out of the car. The parking lot was empty now minus their cars. Sungjae walked Joy to her car and watched her get in. When she her car he lightly tapped on her window. She rolled it down and gave him a questioning look.

 

“May I have your number?” he asked while he presented his phone to her.

Joy remembered they previously erased each other’s numbers. She typed in her number into his phone and pressed ‘save’. Handing his phone back to him she smiled. Sungjae returned her smiled and tapped on her car roof signaling her to go. She nodded in return as she began to roll her window up before she drove out of the parking lot.

 

Watching her car pull out Sungjae started to walk to his own car with a huge smile on his face. The universe was really on his side today and he thanked his lucky stars she agreed to his proposition. After he got inside his car he started to text her.

 

Good night Sooyoung-ah~  <3

 

Then without a moment hesitation he started a new text to someone different.

 

Noona you won’t believe it but I ran into her today.

 

                                                                                                                                                                  Who?

 

Sooyoung-ah!

 

                                                                                                                                                                  !!!

                                                                                                                    Well tell me what happened?!?

                                                                                         

Soojin smiled in disbelief after reading her brother’s text. He continued to recount his encounter with Joy happily.  I am glad you’re doing something for your self Sooyoung. 

 

A/N: This is posted without being proofread so I will return another time to edit. I just really wanted to get this chapter out because well...Sungjae and Joy met and that's exciting. Also a shorter chapter than I would have liked but I liked where I ended it. We'll have to see how Sungjae is going to prove to Joy he means business.  As always thank you for suscribing , commenting , and upvoting. Means the world to me :)