Crash Landing

Gravity

June 6th

 

Following Yeri’s recommendation Joy decided to visit her parents for the rest of her vacation. For Joy it felt nice to be home and surrounded by family. Her sisters were in college now and were barely home as they were busy at school. When she came home on the 3rd they celebrated by grabbing dinner and watching movies the next day. Since then they were caught up with school and their activities. Besides that during the day Joy found herself mostly spending time with her omma in the kitchen learning how to cook. However today her omma was going out to spend the day with her friends leaving Joy at home alone. 

 

Joy sighed while she stared at her ceiling feeling bored. Most of her friends from high school were working so they couldn’t go out. Her Red Velvet unnies and Yeri had schedules this week therefore they were in and out as well. Within an instant Joy peeked over her bed to look at her purse. I do have Kim Sojin’s number.

 

Since the talking to her Unnies and Yeri Joy’s heart felt significantly lighter. Thoughts of Sungjae had lessened as she continued to remind herself not to think about him too deeply as she did before. She felt more confident and less burdened about her unresolved feelings for Sungjae. She contemplated if hanging out with Sojin would be bring back some of the pain. She is his sister…he might naturally come into conversation. Ahh but Park Sooyoung if you want to get over him you should learn how to talk about him without worry. It’s not as if Kim Sojin knows you past feelings anyway. She offered to be your friend and was sincere about it. It also has been a while since I made a sincere new friend, especially someone not from the same industry.

 

After weighing out her options Joy nodded to herself and decided to call Sojin. Grabbing her purse she searched through it looking for crumpled piece of paper from days ago.

 

Ring….Ring…Ring…

 

“Yoboseyo~,” Sojin answered on the other line.

 

“Yoboseyo! Is this Kim Sojin-ssi? This is Park Sooyoung.” Joy greeted cheerfully.

 

Shocked to hear from Joy Sojin smiled into her phone and replied, “Hello Sooyoung-ssi. It’s good to hear from you. How are you?”

 

“I am fine. My vacation has been relaxing. I have a couple more days left before I return to work. I called because I wanted to take you up on your offer. I know this may last minute but if you’re available today I would love to grab brunch or coffee with you,” Joy asked in anticipation.

 

“Well to tell you the truth my schedule just freed up because a client canceled a meeting. Brunch would be fantastic! Where are you? Maybe we can find a place in between both our locations,” said Sojin. She was pleasantly surprise to hear from Joy. She never expected her to contact her yet here she was.

 

“I am here in Seoul at my parent’s home but I can meet you anywhere. It would be nice to explore outside my family’s neighborhood,” said Joy.

 

“I see. Well I know a place that has a great brunch menu. I’ll text you the location and menu. If you like it we can go there. If not I am sure we can find other great options,” Sojin replied excitedly.

 

“Alright send it to me. We can meet there at 12pm,” asked Joy.

 

“Yes 12pm will be great! See you soon Sooyoung-ssi!” Sojin said before hanging up. She was happy that Joy called her. Event thought she felt still conflicted about knowing Joy’s true feelings for her brother and vice versa.  If he wanted to win Joy fairly he would be the one who have to make it happen and it was not her place to meddle. What Sungjae didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him for now and lucky for her the media didn’t know anything about her. If Joy were seen with her no one would bat an eye.

 

 

12pm at Larchmont

 

Joy sat at her table while she was patiently waiting for Sojin at the restaurant. Nervous Joy  kept shaking her knee up and down. Sojin picked a posh restaurant Joy felt slightly underdressed in a simple white blouse and chambray skirt. As Joy started to look around the restaurant searching for Sojin, she sauntered through the restaurant doors confidently instantly making eye contact with Joy.

 

Sojin smiled brightly as Joy stood up from her table to bow. “Sorry I am little late. I hope you weren’t waiting too long. I did not think traffic would be bad at this time of day.” Sojin said before taking a seat and motioning Joy to do the same.

 

“Don’t worry I only sat down 10 minutes ago. I am sorry to hear your client canceled with you. I mean I am glad you now have time to grab brunch with me of course , especially one such short notice. Thank you for taking time out of your day,” Joy thanked politely. She was genuine in her gratefulness for Sojin, who she could tell was still working based off her outfit. Dressed smartly in a navy swing skirt and blush pink blouse Sojin carried a confident air about her, another thing Joy admired about her.

 

“Honestly I rather be having brunch with you than being in a meeting right now. I enjoy my work but clients can be so demanding sometimes. I feel like I have to their ego half the time,” Sojin replied before she picked up the menu to peruse.

 

Joy followed suit with her own menu before continuing the conversation, “If you don’t mind me asking Sojin-ssi what do you do for a living?”

 

“Ah I am a project manager for the company my father’s is a CEO for. It’s a middle management position so it’s nothing important but I enjoy it. When a client orders a product from us I coordinate the order from the initial development to final production,” Sojin replied.

 

Joy and Sojin continued to exchange pleasantries throughout the their meal. Joy shared her experience about debuting as a solo artist while Sojin talked about her growing family. Joy found Sojin to be thoughtful and easy to talk to. She could tell Sojin loved her work and family. Sojin even told her about how she applied and was hired to her position without her father knowing. She wanted to prove to the hiring committee she didn’t need the laurels of her father and earn her employment like everyone else. She also admired Sojin’s ability to balance her family time and be a strong self-made career woman. She wasn’t arrogant in her accomplishments but proud that she managed to get that far. Curious it brought her to want to ask a question that was starting to nag at her.

 

Putting her fork down Joy looked up at Sojin and asked, “Do you find it hard to balance your work and your personal life?”

 

Sojin reflected to herself for a moment before answering Joy. “It can be. I don’t mean to talk about my life as if it is easy because life generally isn’t. There are some days when I come home dead beat tired and my kids are already asleep. I regret that I don’t get to see them as much because I work. My husband and I have worked hard to upkeep our marriage and family life as both working parents. However something I learned about life is that when you want something you will find ways to make it work. Also you have to learn to enjoy life! My family brings me joy. I emphasize and treasure our time together and I do my best not to let work get in the way of that.”

 

Joy appreciated Sojin’s honest answer. She started to ask herself if she was happy. She’s worked so hard for so long all she really knew was work. Work has allowed her opportunities and luxuries she wouldn’t have had if she didn’t choose the idol-life. She loved her work but lately she was starting feel something missing. Maybe that’s what made her finally let go of Sungjae. She wanted to love someone who would love her in return. Somebody she could spend time with and depend on. It didn’t mean she needed a boyfriend to take care of her or at this exact moment, but she admitted she might be ready to start to see what is out there.

 

Sojin watched Joy quietly contemplate. She noted how well Joy was able to keep up her cheerfulness. But at this moment Joy looked slightly lost and tired. Joy didn’t know she knew about the farewell letter but Sojin could tell Joy was still reeling from the aftermath. Wanting to know her thoughts she asked, “Why do you ask?”

 

Joy looked up sheepishly realizing she zoned out on Sojin. “I admire your ability to balance both work and personal. To be honest I have started to ask myself if I even have a personal life? Don’t get me wrong I do enjoy being an idol and performing with Red Velvet. My unnies and Yeri really make being an idol fun because with them it’s not about the work but being together making music people enjoy. I have friends and my family who I work hard for. But lately I feel I don’t have anything else but work. It’s encouraging to hear someone who has a successful career and personal life. Maybe I need to consciously make time for that myself,” said Joy honestly.

 

Sojin smiled small at Joy’s unabashed revelation and responded, “I’m not perfect by any means but there came a time in my life where I realized all I did was work too.  It does take a conscious effort. I understand this maybe frank considering this is really our first meeting but—you should do it. Make time for you to spend quality time with those you care about and enjoy life. You’ve worked hard that you owe yourself that much.” Sojin realized how well Joy matched Sungjae. You two make no real time for yourselves and drive yourself into your work. She wanted to bring him into their conversation but she knew it wouldn’t be right to do that knowing Joy’s current feelings.

 

“I think you’re right I should do that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am learning a lot from you,” said Joy smiling. This week she made a lot of new promises to herself and it felt good to have something personally work towards.

 

Looking at her watch Sojin realized her next client meeting within the next hour and if she wanted to make it on time she need to go soon. “You’re welcome. I feel like I am learning a lot from you too. I’ve had a great time with you today. It was fun and relaxing to talk about life and it’s unpredictable twists and turns. However I sadly I have another work meeting coming up. Thank you for calling me today. We should do this again sometime, I mean it,” said Sojin truthfully as she waved to waiter asking for the check. She sincerely enjoyed hanging out and talking with Joy. There were not many people who she talked to who were younger than her that it felt like having a younger sister.

 

“We should! I hope the next time I see you I can tell you more about my progress in developing my personal life,” Joy responded. She started to really look up to Sojin and decided to add, “If you want you can just call me Sooyoung I think I would enjoy that better.”

 

Touched Sojin said, “Oh well then I will do that Sooyoung. If you want you call me Unnie then? I think that’s fair enough.”

 

“Sounds good to me Sojin-unnie,” said Joy excitedly. Before she could react Sojin quickly gave her credit card to the waiter without looking at the bill. Shocked and embarrassed Joy said, “Oh Unnie no I could have paid for my half!”

 

“Nonsense! I really had a lot of fun so don’t worry about it,” Sojin speedily replied.

 

“Thank you Unnie. Next time…” smiled Joy.

 

As they parted ways from the restaurant Joy walked slowly to her car happy thinking about  on her vacation. This week alone she had been reflecting on her life more seriously than she had ever before. It felt good to look back at where she came from and look forward to where she wanted to go. As she continued to drive she noticed she was driving by a particular part of the Han river that brought bittersweet memories. Her happy disposition slightly faltered as she was reminded about Sungjae. She had been quite effective of driving him away from her thoughts since telling her members about her decision. But once in a while he would creep in without her realizing. She understood it wouldn’t be easy to let him go but something compelled her deep inside to make a U-turn at the next stoplight.

 

She drove toward the parking lot she knew would lead toward the area that over looked the river. After parking her car she walked toward the spot where Sungjae and her drank beer by the river. She sat on the bench trying to remember that day.  She smiled thinking about how happy she felt when he video called her when she was on her way back from her other filming. It was a sweet memory but today somehow it didn’t burn as much as it used to.  Embracing that her feelings would never be truly returned somehow also brought a level of tranquility to her heart. She must be truly moving on.

 

 

June 9th

 

Over the past two days Joy made a point to visit the bench by the Han river. Being there made her feel like she was in her own corner of the world where no one could find her.  Day by day thinking about Sungjae pained her less and she would journal about how she wanted to focus on herself.  However today Joy woke up more relaxed than she had ever felt before. The previous night she told her Appa and Omma that she wanted to the family out to dinner. During the day she took her Omma and her sisters to the spa for a day of relaxation. She enjoyed laughing and joking her sisters as they took silly selcas with their Omma. When they met up with their Appa at the restaurant Joy loved how complete she felt with her family. She understood what Sojin was talking about now looking her family’s happy faces. Her work didn’t allow her to visit home as often but it times like this that reminded Joy why she was doing the work she was now. Her vacation would be coming to a close soon and she promised to herself she would make the most of it.

 

After dinner at the family’s restaurant Joy stayed behind her sisters and Omma to talk to her Appa. “Appa,” she started to gain the attention of her father who turned at the sound of her voice. She continued, “I love you. Thank you for allowing me to live my life as a I please. I hope I make you proud.”

 

Joy’s appa smiled sweetly back at her. “I love you too and of course. You make me proud Sooyoung,” he said.

 

Joy returned his smile and asked, “I am going to go on my own for a bit if that’s okay with you. I just wanted some alone time is all.”

 

Her appa stopped to turn to Joy to study her. He responded, “That is fine with me.  I hope you’re okay but I understand sometimes we all need time to ourselves. Be safe and don’t stay out too late okay?”

 

“Thank you Appa,” said Joy before she hugged her appa tight. She said good byes to her omma and sisters before turning to the direction of her car.  Once inside Joy adjusted her GPS to head toward to the part of the Han river she had been visiting. Today would be one of the last days she would be able to dedicate time to visit.

 

After parking her car in the same spot she made her way over to the bench. She suddenly stopped as there was someone sitting on the same bench she was planning to sit on. Although the person was wearing a hat the person’s silhouette seemed too familiar to Joy. No, no no.

 

She started to breathe deeply and panic as she started to walk backwards hoping the person wouldn’t hear her. Joy’s efforts were in vain as the person on the bench quickly turned around.  Joy closed her eyes realizing she had been made. When she opened them she saw Sunjae’s look of suprise. Her first instinct was to bolt away but her body was defying her mind’s commands. Rooted to the ground below her Joy could only openly stare back while Sungjae searched her eyes.

 

“Sooyoung-ah?”

 

A/N: I know they just met and a cliffhanger! A major inspiration for Bbyu's meeting is the song "Ghost" by Ella Henderson, particularly the switch remix version. If you re-read the chapter again I highly recommend listening to that song while you read. I think it helps understand what she is thinking and going through. Joy is still in the process of letting go of Sungjae and her visits to the river where she can sit think allow her to come to a peace she hasn't had before. Of course Sungjae decides the spot by the river is a great place to think about Joy too. We'll see how their first meeting after 5 years goes in the next chapter. 

Thank you to all those who have suscribed , commented and upvoted this fanfic. Your support has truly recharged me for energy to write this chapter. I appreciate hearing everyone's feedback and thoughts about Bbyu in this fanfic.

 

p.s: I have a playlist I listen to for inspiration when I write. It helps me develop Joy and Sungjae's motiviations and of course move the story along.