Entering Orbit

Gravity

5 years later…

 

[Headline] BTOB Sungjae finishes filming _______ drama

[Headline] Red Velvet Joy completes first solo promotions

 

11:50 June 2, 2021

Trudging through the dorm Sungjae threw his bags on his couch before plopping on it himself. His phone read June 2 11:50pm. “Aiish I cannot believe it is June already,” he exasperated before hitting his head against the couch.  Looking at the ceiling the rush of pent up feeling came back to him again. Once a year he would allow himself to truly embrace his hidden feelings for Joy.  There were times he'd watch her CFs or stages in secret to admire her from afar. Each time he saw her at a music show he would smile at how much she blossomed into a lady.  But the first days of June always reminded him of the reality that he let Joy pass through his fingers years ago.

 

It is our anniversary tomorrow. 5 years and I never miss it. I hope you’re doing well Sooyoung-ah.  He smirked to himself of the memory of her smiling sweetly at him. He wanted to see her again, that smile that was only meant for him. I think I saved all our photos on the couple app. Aish but I deleted that years ago. It might be still there? Let’s check.

 

Search: Coup---

 

Download Complete 11:55pm

 

Please enter your login information

 

 

In another part of Seoul about an hour and a half earlier…

“Thank you for all your hard work,” said Joy as she bowed towards the staff who worked tirelessly to help make her solo debut a success.

 

As everyone filtered out of the restaurant Joy was left talking to her manager about the mini “stay-cation” she was going to start tomorrow. She could not wait to lounge around in the dorm for a week. She needed this well deserved break after the endless promotions and appearances.

 

“Take time to yourself and reflect on how you want to grow next. I know you heard from management a Red Velvet comeback will be in the works,” Joy’s manager started before she noticed Joy’s happy expression change once the last staff member left the building.  Throughout the process for her solo debut Joy would practice late into the night while continuing to show her bright personality while promoting during the day without any complaints. Joy worked nonstop this past eight months on her solo debut and this was first and only time Joy showed how the workload affected her. In fact when she thought about it  neither Joy or any of the other Red Velvet members have been able to take any real time to enjoy life.  Six years had passed since their group debut but they all understood the personal sacrifices they had to make when chose the idol life -- and Joy was no exception; she was now 25 and had never gone on a single date, even in secret.

 

Returning to the present Joy’s manager broke her reverie and continued, “Aish you have worked hard Joy-ah. I am proud of you but I think we can stop here for today. Let’s get you home.” The manager gestured toward the exit and Joy smiled weakly back before heading into the company van.

 

As the van driver entered the busy street Joy sat in her seat checking her phone. The screen glared at her:

10:30 PM

Thursday, June 2.

 

Her heart skipped a beat after reading the screen. The beginning of June always brought back bittersweet memories of her “virtual” relationship. Most times she would smile ruefully and quickly try to think of something else to get her mind off him. The relationship was “fake” so why should she continue to care?

 

Because your feelings were real.  Joy shook her head at the thought. As much as she tried to deny it and ignore it,  she did grow romantic feelings for Yook Sungjae.  Their farewell event was the moment where she accepted her feelings but also with the realization there was nothing she could do about them. The after filming protocol was crystal clear from both their agencies and both were instructed to keep professional relationships. In fact they were told it would be best they did not contact each other at all, in public or secret. Her manager even watched over her shoulder as she deleted the couple application from her phone. Since then she locked up Sungjae and their time on WGM in a closet far back of her mind. Despite her mental measures every June 3rd the closet of memories would burst open for one day before painfully shutting again the next.

 

Five years. Joy glared back at her phone. There was no point in holding on to these feelings. She needed closure but the question was how to get it. In a quick moment she figured out step one for letting go of Yook Sungjae: Writing a farewell message on the Couple App. It was how they started their relationship and it seemed a fitting way to end all her feelings. It was not as if Sungjae would read her message since he also deleted the application. They hadn’t contacted one another since filming so there was no chance he returned her feelings. It was perfect.

 

At the dorm Joy saw all her unnies and Yeri were fast asleep in their respective rooms. Determined Joy quickly washed up before sitting quietly in her room downloading the couple app.

 

 

Search: Coup---

Download Complete 11:40pm

Please enter your login information

 

This is it.

 

Message à [Good Bye Oppa]

Hello,

 

It is Sooyoung-ah and today it is our anniversary. Happy 5 year Anniversary Oppa! It has been a while since we have contacted each other, which is okay. I don’t regret watching over you from afar. You have truly grown into a man and I believe handsomer as the years past. However today I need to come clean and finally admit I like you Oppa, more than just an Oppa or Sunbaenim who watches over me carefully. No, I like you as a man. I held you close to my heart over these years and sometimes I even think I fell in love with you. Nonetheless when I think about you I can’t help but feel the ache in my heart that you are no longer mine. In fact you may have never been mine in the first place.

 

These past couple years have been tough as I tried to rid my feelings for you. Year after year every June when I thought I could think of you without pain. But I would be reminded that I still cared for you deeply. I know we were to keep our relationships strictly professional, which we did, over the years. In fact I don’t think I have spoken to you directly since our last filming. I wish I could have told you about my feelings in person. But it has been 5 years and I think I am ready to let you go. Thank you for everything Sungjae oppa. Sarhangae.

Sincerely,

Park Sooyoung

 

Joy wiped the tears from her eyes as she finished reading her final message. It was short but enough. This was her farewell and it needed to suit her, no one else. She smiled sadly knowing she was putting her feelings away for good but it was time to move on. Joy glanced on more time before quickly pressing ‘Enter’.

 

[Message Sent 11:57 June 2 2021]

Hugging her phone to her chest Joy promised herself this would be the last time she would cry for him. Closing her eyes she weeped silently at her love lost.

 

11:57 PM Sungjae’s Apartment

Sungjae sorrowfully smiled as he scrolled through their memories. It was nice to read her message from the start of the relationship to her article from the BTOB showcase.  He wished only that they chatted and posted more to document their time together. Sungjae continued to scroll through finding pictures from their honeymoon and Hainan. He stopped to stare at the one picture where she looked back at him on the suspension bridge. She was so scared on the bridge but looked so pretty. Pretty as always

 

[Message Received 11:57 June 2 2021]

 

He panicked. What is this? It couldn’t be her who sent a message it? But she is the only who has access to the app…there could be hackers out there trying to trick him. But after so long who would keep track of it? Why is she sending a message after all these years? Why on this application? Stop stalling Sungjae you know you want to read it. Opening the message Sungjae hungrily drank in Joy’s letter.

 

She…liked me? After all this time she liked me too?  

[12:00AM June 3, 2021]