Ready for Take Off

Gravity

June 10th 7:00AM

 

Sungjae woke up the next morning feeling refreshed. Glancing at his phone he hoped to see a message from Joy. She did not respond to his message the night before but Sungjae prayed she decided to reply since then.

 

[Message Received]

 

Good Morning~ Sorry I did not respond last night.

 

                                                                                                                                                Good Morning Sooyoung~ It’s okay :) I have a schedule later this                                                                                                                                                     afternoon but if you’re free this morning I would like to see you. If                                                                                                                                                     you don’t mind.

 

I don’t mind. I agreed right? What did you have in mind?

 

                                                                                                                                               How about we go kayaking? I know a spot where we won’t be                                                                                                                                                          bothered or seen. Bring a cap and sunglasses just in case.

                                                                                                  

Okay that sounds like fun.

                                                                                                                                              Also don’t forget to dress appropriately. Meet you there around 8. I’ll                                                                                                                                                 send you the address

 

Araso.

 

 

Joy drove to the address Sungjae provided, a water sports rental in an upper class area in Seoul overlooking the Han River. As she walked toward the rental store Sungjae stood there coolly in his sunglasses and cap. Joy still couldn’t believe their meeting from last night was real and not a dream. When she got home the night before she was dazed and full of emotions. This morning provided clarity and time to sort some of her feelings. It felt good to hear him say he loved her. She couldn’t deny that. On the other hand it brought the heaviness in her heart back. She didn’t know why she couldn’t try to be just happy since her dream essentially came true.   She figured her heart wasn’t ready to give in yet and maybe trying things out with Sungjae would help her. She tried to give him a bright smile as she approached him closer.

 

“You made it,” Sungjae smirked when Joy finally came to a stop. He handed her a life jacket before motioning to the kayak that was already set up at the end of the dock.

 

“I did. I have never gone kayaking before so I’m excited,” Joy responded. She took the life jacket from Sungjae. Both felt the awkward tension in the air as they walked toward the dock to their kayak. It reminded them of their first meeting in the park. Although they saw each other the night before today felt different. After securing their life jackets on both put the kayak in the water. Sungjae got in first while Joy followed after him. Once they were both in the kayak Sungjae instructed Joy how to paddle.  In an attempt to end the silence that started after his instructions Sungjae tried to start small talk, “This is a bit awkward.”

 

Both laughed at his comment. Joy replied, “It is. It’s also oddly familiar and comforting.”

 

“I agree. I feel like we transported back to the WGM days minus the film crew,” Sungjae said.

 

Joy smiled in agreement. It was weird for her to talk him without seeing his face. The look in his eyes was something she was still getting used to. He looked at her lovingly; something she wasn’t used to. Before he was mostly shy and mischievous. While she could see the still mischievous Sungjae there was a new determined look in eyes she could not return.

 

“Yeah it does feel like that…I didn’t know you liked to kayak? When did you start,” she asked with curiosity.

 

“I started a year ago. I own a solo kayak and I take it out here when I have the time.  I like doing active activities like this. I don’t share that I like this particular activity with the public. It is something private I get to keep to myself, which is nice. I can do it without fearing I’m going to be stalked during my private time. I figured this is something fun we could do together,” Sungjae shared as he continued to steer the kayak with his paddle.

 

Joy was happy to learn something new about him. As she paddled Sungjae proceeded to ask her, “How about you? Did you pick up anything new or different? This awkward to admit but I follow your activities and interviews over the years. You don’t mention much about what you like to do for fun.”

 

“You’re right…I don’t. I was telling someone the other day,” Joy started before pausing remembering it was Sojin, Sungjae’s sister, who she spoke to about this topic only a couple of days ago. Not ready to admit she knew her yet she omitted Sojin and continued on, “that I realized I have not made time to do anything for myself on a personal level. I mean I have my interests and I do go out with friends. But I have been so focused on work these past 5 years I haven’t really made time to develop anything like that lately. I have been meaning to.”

 

Sungjae was about to comment but Joy started again, “I mean in all honesty I know I agreed to trying …this out with you as something I needed to do for myself. I know last night I said I didn’t know if I could do it and I still don’t but what I mean to say is… I didn’t calculate the risks to our reputation. I didn’t think about how our companies are going to react if they find out. I didn’t think about how this could end up hurting both of us if it doesn’t work out. But you presented an opportunity for me to do something for me. Something that may make me happy. I am sorry if that sounds selfish.”

 

Sungjae chuckled at her honesty. Joy was always honest and forthright with her feelings. Remembering their first meeting and her bold comments Sungjae laughed to himself how she hadn’t changed. She never felt embarrassed to say what was on her mind and he was glad she was comfortable to share with him even after all these years. He responded gladly, “Don’t be sorry. I am glad you are doing this for you. I would hope you would because you deserve it.  You also haven’t changed…you are still that girl who will say what is on her mind. If this was us years ago I am sure I would have been to flustered with your confession.”

 

Joy laughed in return and the memory of embarrassed Sungjae. “You would have back then. I can tell you’ve changed a lot since. You’re strong and confident in your feelings. You obviously now have no problem showing them. I can feel you taking the lead unlike before when I complained you were unromantic.” Joy said.

 

“Well when you’ve been wanting something for so long and so deeply I think it’s hard for me to let you go that easily. I can’t be shy like before. I admit was very naïve and new to relationships then.  I also didn’t know what to do with my feelings before. Since I didn’t know how to deal with them my only safe response was to tease you with the hope you wouldn’t be able to see my real emotions. It has taken time to be this bold but I knew if I wanted to approach you couldn’t be that way anymore,” Sungjae admitted boldly. His unflinching response took Joy by surprise. It showed her how serious he was in courting her. She didn’t fathom his feelings would run this deep for as long as hers. As surprising to hear from him it also comforted her. It prompted her to ask a question.

 

“Did you know I had feelings for you too,” she asked as she stopped paddling.

 

As they floated quietly in their kayak Sungjae paused before responding, “I realized it when we were in Hainan. I think it was at my surprise event where I realized how deep mine ran.”

 

 

“You were different after event too. I remember the panelists commented how it was like she switched roles with you becoming more forward. I noticed it too but I didn’t know that was why. I thought it was at the request of the producers since we were nearing the end of our run.”

 

Sungjae smirked as he began paddling again to start heading back to the dock. “Before that I will admit I was calculated in every move I made or word I said. I exercised as much caution so the whole world wouldn’t know I was developing real feelings. Our fans might have lost all their little marbles back then. But then the rumors about us leaving came along and I decided to say ‘screw it’. I started to show me more truthfully and I was lucky all it worked right into how the producers wanted it.”

 

“So even the …Saranghae at MBC,” Joy asked tentatively.

 

“100% real,” Sungjae quickly responded. Sungjae started to ask a question but hesitated. Hearing his uncertainty Joy knew he wanted to ask her about her own confession and in turn responded, “100% real.”

 

After a beat Sungjae checked his watch for the time. It was close to 9:30 and he needed to get ready for his next schedule. “I have to get going soon sadly,” he told Joy. Nodding in agreement Joy and Sungjae started to make their way back to the dock.

 

They paddled most of the way back in silence both reflecting on their conversation and their past. Mustering up her courage again Joy confessed, “I hated our farewell…”

 

Sighing Sungjae replied, “Me too. I knew from the moment they told us we would not have the chance to be that close again. When you brought out that cake I made a wish we would meet again. It’s finally coming true.” They reached the dock and Sungjae disembarked first before helping Joy out of the kayak. After returning the life jackets to the rental spot they started to walk toward the parking lot.

 

As they approached their respective cars Joy turned to Sungjae. “Thank you. I had a lot of fun. I learned a lot about you and I am happy I tell you what’s going on in my head. It was a nice way to  start the last day of my vacation,” she smiled.

 

“I had fun too. Thank you for spending time with me on your last day of your vacation. I am glad we got to talk,” he said as he returned her smile. He reached up to push a strand of hair out of her face. He couldn’t see her eyes clearly through her sunglasses but he could tell she was content.

 

In a surprise move Joy hugged Sungjae in return. Caught off guard Sungjae was stunned for a moment before he returned her hug. He hugged her tight with one arm around her waist and the other reached to cradle her head. After a minute they both separated.

 

Sungjae opened his mouth to say something but Joy quickly interrupted him and coyly said, “I remembered the song you sang during our farewell and your eyes were asking for one. ” He chuckled at her response before nudging her arm in protest.

 

 

 

 

1:00PM Red Velvet’s Dorm

 

After kayaking with Sungjae Joy headed home to pack up her things to return back to the dorm. She was sad to say good bye to her family but promised to make more of an effort to come home more often. Joy finally made it back to the dorm excited to see her members.

 

“Hello! I’m home!,” Joy yelled excitedly as she entered the common room.

 

Hearing Joy’s voice Wendy, the only other member at the dorm, walked outside of her room. “Yay you’re back!,” she greeted Joy while assessing her, “You look rested and dare I say a little happy? How was it?”

 

“It was exactly what I needed like you all said. Being with my family reminded me why I am here and who I am working for. Also,” Joy lingered to contemplate if she should share her news with Wendy about Sungjae. They hadn’t talked about who they could tell or even if they could tell anyone. They in the beginning stages it didn’t seem worth getting anyone excited. On the other hand Joy knew she wanted a confidant she could trust and help talk out her feelings with. Knowing she could trust Wendy to keep everything between them she decided it would be okay.

 

“Something strange and unexpected happened. But it just happened days ago and it’s huge. Can we keep it just between us for now,” Joy asked Wendy with a puppy dog look as she took a seat on the couch. Wendy could see whatever Joy wanted to tell her was integral to her happy state. She nodded in response.

 

Beckoning Wendy to sit down on the couch Joy began, “Remember that WGM episode where Sungjae and I drank beer. Well I started going there every day since June 7th to reflect about my feelings and start to let go of him completely. Then on the 9th I went there for final time and he was there.” Wendy gasped in response and asked, “Did you guys talk? What did you do?”

 

“We talked…then he confessed he’s loved me too this whole time. I know it seems unbelievable Unnie but he was sincere. It made me happy but at the same time my heart turned heavy again. He made a proposition that I give him a chance to prove his feelings are sincere. Despite my still heavy heart…I agreed.”

 

“Well…I mean that’s good news! To be frank I am happy to hear you’re trying. You deserve something for yourself. If he wants to be there for you and try to make you happy then…let him. Life is not all about work. I am pretty sure that’s why Irene moved out because we deserve to start living life for ourselves too. Not just our job…it’s not the only thing that defines us,” Wendy admitted as she patted Joy’s shoulder.

 

Joy was shocked but thankful for Wendy’s quick acceptance and support. She hugged her in response, “Thank you for being understanding…I am honestly scared.”

 

 

“It’s okay…You are going to have to be careful. Eventually for your own sake you’re going to have to tell the rest of the group,” Wendy added.

 

“I know. It’s just very new and I haven’t even talked to him about what our plan should be,” Joy answered candidly.

 

“It’s okay one step at a time. You should probably talk about that next. Speaking of which…if he’s what…courting you? When are you going to see him next,” Wendy asked.

 

Joy and Wendy proceeded to discuss Joy and Sungjae’s kayak date earlier that day. Joy felt at ease being able to tell Wendy everything that had happened to her recently. She pondered on Wendy’s question about when she would see him next. They hadn’t talked about it and with Joy going back to work she knew her schedule would start to fill up too. She wondered how they were going to manage seeing one another with such busy schedules.  Becoming nervous Joy took a moment to text Sungjae while Wendy told Joy her thoughts how risky  kayak date must have been.

 

[Message Sent]

 

So…when will I see you next?

 

A/N: Chapter 5 done! Unedited as of right now but I'll get back to it eventually. Leave your feedback/thoughts below and thank you for ongoing support.