First Day

Seven

Ten male trainees entered the main practice room of Celestial Entertainment. The trainees were previously located on the small branches of the company where they auditioned and after being the best on their respective groups where they previously belong, they made the final cut to be possible members of Syzygy, Celestial Entertainment's upcoming boy group. The criteria for being a member is simple, you should be able to adhere to C.Ent's standards.

 

 

A man in suit entered the practice room and eyed the new trainees who were all wearing identical clothes, that being a white shirt, pants and white rubber shoes. This was personally requested by C.Ent's head trainer as he wants to see the boys in all their ordinary glory, and if they're somewhat extraordinary, they will stand out no matter what. It is also noticeable how the trainees were ogling the man in suit, obviously recognizing him because of his reputation.

 

 

One particular trainee is standing out. Not because of his looks, his height or anything. It's his smile that made the man in suit take a once over.

 

 

"Hey. You. Step forward."

 

 

The smiling trainee looked at the man frowningly but did what he said, all the way hiding the nervous pits of brown that is his eyes using his wide smile.

 

 

"Introduce yourself."

 

 

"Hello everyone. I am Kim JunJin. Born year 1996. I came from C.Ent's branch here in Gangnam."

 

 

"Gangnam?"

 

 

"Yes sir."

 

 

"Well then, by the looks of your smile you look confident. Why don't you show us what you think you can do best?"

 

 

JunJin visibly paled after what the man in suit said. Although his smile was still pasted on, it quivered for just a little bit until he decided to swallow his nerves and show him what he can do.

 

 

"I will sing Justin Bieber's Love Yourself."

 

 

The man nodded so Junjin continued.

 

 

He breathed in and started.

 

 

All the times that you rain on my parade
And all the clubs you get in using my name
You think you broke my heart
Ohhh girl for goodness sake
You think I'm crying---

 

 

"You should."

 

 

Junjin stopped singing when he heard the man said something.

 

 

"Excuse me sir, what is it?"

 

 

"The lyrics of your song states something like 'you think I'm crying', right?"

 

 

"Yes sir."

 

 

"So I said you should. You should cry. Just by hearing you, I didn't even know how you became a trainee, and a trainee from Gangnam at that. You can't even sing! Step back."

 

 

Junjin's eyes widened and he almost felt like crying but then he stepped back and looked down on the floor, his previous smile, erased without a trace. Other trainees were looking at him too, with fear gnawing in their hearts for their own fates. The guy can obviously sing, maybe not that great, but he can sing, and the man in suit just declared he can't!

 

 

"Listen to me."

 

 

Every trainee looked at the man in suit, his commanding voice sounding like a resonating alarm.

 

 

"I can be your worst nightmare. So you should wake up before I can invade your beautiful dreams. Being an idol is not a child's play, so I need real talents, and if you don't have any of that? Might as well pack up now before I send you crying for your mom to save you. And I don't care whoever you are and how long you have trained in the small branch, when I see you don't have talent and you don't work hard? You'll never make it. Remember that. You have talent, work hard. You don't have talent, work hard. You'll never know what'll happen when you stop trying. So you always work hard. Anyway, I am the head trainer of Celestial Entertainment, Park Jin-Byul."

 

 

Everyone was shocked at his announcement but somewhat understood why. Park Jin-Byul, he is not just a very famous idol, he is dubbed by the show business industry as an artist. The man is famous around the world for his great singing, dancing and acting, songs he wrote for himself and for several artists from hollywood, the songs he produced himself, the choreography he made himself, his looks and everything else. He is even told that show business is where he belongs, because even his name screams star. The man is even holding the record of the highest album sales in a day. Indeed, he is the right person to train them, and no one would question because the man is massive, and he has everything if you don't count how harsh he is right now to the trainees.

 

 

"Alright, let's get started so you may know after we finish if you really have the talent and maybe we'll see how much you really want this. Show me the talent you think you are the best at.”

 

 

Jinbyul flipped the folder he had in his hand and scanned it.
 

 

“Ooh~ what do we have here? Terrence Russell Evans?”

 

 

The foreigner raised his left hand and other trainees scrutinized him in the mirror. The guy is obviously a foreigner, with his brown hair, noticeably brown eyes and his fair complexion.

 

 

“Step forward, introduce yourself.”

 

 

“Hello. I am Terrence Russell Evans. I came from Celestial Entertainment’s branch in the US. Nice to meet you all.”

 

 

“Don’t you know how to speak Korean?”

 

 

“No sir.”

 

 

“And you want to be an idol?”

 

 

“Yes sir.”

 

 

“You have the guts, then, show me what you’ve got.”

 

 

“I’ll do rap.”

 

 

Terrence breathed in then started his rap.

 

 

“Is that true? yes Okey dokey yo
Is that true? yes Okey dokey yo
jeongmallo? yes Okey dokey yo

 

nuga madahae neolpeun madange eomamusihanjip
seumu salbuteo gyehoekhan kkumeun gimboseong eurieurihaji
kkul ppaneura bappaseo neoga jeongsin noheul ttae
nan beol ttaeman gidaryeo ellday
paran sinho ape mustang
i want some cheese cake
i want some dead president
Yge chwijikhae yeonjungmuhyu ilgaemicheoreom
saengbang, haengsa, paenssa dangchoe eopsneun gongbaekran
inomui kkireul eodieda bangchulhae
hakchangsijeolbuteo yeonyeingak
haengseonjireul mutjima ttaraogien beokcha
neon naega doel su eopseo gyesok ppalppalgeoryeobwassja
nae sujeoga geumsujeoro boimyeon byeongwon gabwa
nega rasik haebwassja ne bijeoneun yeojeonhi heurishae
baibai”

 

 

Jinbyul gestured for Terrence to stop.

 

 

“I didn’t know what to say because I did not expect anything. Sounds like, you are okay. Your rap will sound better if you learn more Korean.”

 

 

“Ah, yes sir thanks.”

 

 

“Study Korean and you have to learn fast. You are not the only rapper in this group, if you don’t learn fast, we don’t need someone like you.”

 

 

Terrence nodded, the previous compliment forgotten because of the underlying threat Jinbyul said.

 

 

This made the other trainees nervous than ever. Terrence Evans did well, but Jinbyul said he was just okay. Although some of them are pretty confident with their talents, when you are in front of Park Jinbyul you feel like you are never enough and you might just rethink why you actually wanted to be here, that’s the thought that runs through the remaining 8 trainees that were not asked to perform yet.

 

 

It’s just their first day, but Syzygy felt like a billion miles away.