Chapter Five

Bittersweet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And why you should care?”

Yongsun can hear Moonbyul repeats her question because she keeps silent. She still can’t figure out the answer although 10 minutes just passed in a blink. Tongue tied is , but not knowing your own reason to care, is that more ?

“Just because Wheein and Hyejin told you about my past, doesn’t mean you should care about me,” Moonbyul continues. “They just want me to move on – to meet someone else or to be friends with someone else beside them.”

“Are you afraid for getting another broken heart?”

Yongsun curses inside her mind when she realizes what kind of question she just gave to Moonbyul. What will Moonbyul thinks? Will she thinks Yongsun too confident enough until think Moonbyul might be has feeling for her? Or will she thinks it’s just another question?

“What if I am?” Moonbyul challenges her.

Yongsun takes a step back. She doesn’t dare to take the challenge. She is still familiar with this area. It feels strange but at the same Yongsun doesn’t want to let go. And she afraid if she takes the challenge she just ruins what she just builds, either her friendship with Wheein and Hyejin – also Moonbyul – or… something else.

“Then… protect your heart more…” Yongsun quietly replies. “Doesn’t mean… you can’t be friend… with anyone, right?”

Moonbyul suddenly laughs. Yongsun can’t figure out what is weird or funny from her answer.

“If I can tell my heart who to fall in love with, maybe it will be easier task, protecting my heart,” Moonbyul says bitterly. “But that’s life… you won’t learn until you get a broken heart.”

This is the second time Yongsun has the urge to pull Moonbyul and hugs her tight. But to see how Moonbyul keeps the distance with her words since they starts conversation tonight, Yongsun resist the urge. Secretly Yongsun wishes Wheein or Hyejin or even both of them were here. It will be a lot easier than this.

“Your place is near, right? How about you go inside and have some rest?” Moonbyul offers to kill the silence. “I really need to get some snacks before the girls start whining. It’s cute but annoying at the same time.”

Yongsun slowly nods. “Alright… Be careful in your way.”

“I will,” Moonbyul lightly smile. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yeah… See you tomorrow.”

Yongsun slowly takes the 10 steps to her place. The corner of her eyes never leaves Moonbyul alone. It doesn’t mean she wants to make sure Moonbyul only made up an excuse to send Yongsun home but there are a lot un-left questions Yongsun has for that girl. She just afraid or maybe don’t know how to starts.

With heavy sighs, slowly Yongsun enters the apartment building she lives since she starts working. Yeah, it’s not a real house with garden and all – she loves to have it someday, but this place is quite enough for Yongsun now. She loves the neighborhood ‘cause the convenience store is nearby and not too crowd. Her neighbors are also quite nice. Sometimes if she’s lucky, the aunty next door will bake cookies and share some with Yongsun. And it’s quite near with Han River – Yongsun’s favorite place to clean up her mind.

“Han River… Moonbyul… Why she so…?” Yongsun keeps mumbling after entering her apartment. “But Soojung girl… There must be…”

She mindlessly throws her jacket and her purse while heading straight to the bathroom to clean up.

“Arrghhh!!! Forget it Yongsun!” with a little slap to her face, Yongsun tries to stop her mind. “They shouldn’t tell me about Moonbyul!”

Yongsun slowly walks to the bed after successfully ruins her flawless hair – Hyejin said – with her own hands in frustration. Yongsun almost falls asleep when she suddenly remembers.

“Wait! Why they should tell me about THAT story?!”

For the first time Yongsun can’t sleep not because the effect of Caramel Macchiato she drank this afternoon.

*

“I know this isn’t your working time, but please give me strong coffee one. I even don’t mind if you make it bitter. I need to stay awake for the meeting this morning or my boss will kill me.”

“Ah~ Good morning to you too. Never thought will see you this soon.”

Yongsun ignores the sarcastic greeting Moonbyul just given. This barista maybe the only savior she has for now to save her from falling asleep in important meeting. She doesn’t need another reason to have a headache. Lack of sleep is enough to make her head is pounding like crazy the moments she opens her eyes.

“Yeah, good morning, but please, hurry.”

“Will it be a problem for you to sit down first?” Moonbyul asks. “You look like a crap. And sorry for not finding good word to describe that but seriously…”

“Something just hit me last night – not literally – but enough to make me stay awake all night long,” Yongsun explains. “I considered take sleeping pills but remember I just had a coffee yesterday afternoon, I don’t want to think the side effect.”

Moonbyul understandingly nods. “Is there any connection with our conversation last night? Sorry if I…”

Yongsun raises her hand to stop Moonbyul for explaining. “No, I get it what you said. I’ll be lying if it has nothing to do with our conversation, but it’s more like… me? I don’t know how to explain, but yeah.”

Moonbyul frowns. Yongsun knows she doesn’t give enough explanation for what she actually wants to say but for now it’s enough. The headache is killing her. She doesn’t want to think right now. Explaining needs healthy brain to think, okay?

“Alright… just gives me few minutes, your coffee will be ready soon,” Moonbyul smile.

Yongsun only nods and lets Moonbyul being busy behind the counter

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter