Chapter Three

Bittersweet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Before we answer those questions, may we know why you want to know, unnie?”

Yongsun clearly can see the curiosity from Wheein’s eyes. Although if Yongsun wants to be honest, she doesn’t have the answer for those question. Yongsun knows she has no right to dig into Moonbyul’s past. Even though they get along really well last night after dinner – four of them, not just Yongsun and Moonbyul – but there is a big question about Moonbyul’s life that makes Yongsun…curious. Maybe because Yongsun has no interesting love life that makes her wants to know about other’s love life or maybe… something else. The only answer Yongsun can offer for now is curiosity.

“I can tell you that I’m curious about her life, but if you asked me why I’m curious… I don’t know either,” Yongsun answers honestly. “Maybe because I have no interesting love story so it makes me want to know about other’s story. But if you don’t satisfy with my answer, you don’t have to tell me.”

Yongsun tries to get use when see Wheein and Hyejin communicate with their eyes. She is a bit envious because although she has many people she can called friends in her phone lists, but nothing closest to how Wheein and Hyejin understand each other. There’s a special bond between these two young girls, something that worth to envy. If only Yongsun can find someone like that…

Unconsciously Yongsun stares at Moonbyul while waiting for Wheein and Hyejin to make their decision. She can see Moonbyul really enjoys talking with her customers. Some of her customers even being too friendly by touching Moonbyul’s back or arms, but Yongsun also can see the tall girl slightly rejects the contact. Is it because she afraid to fall to the wrong person again? Or is she afraid to be in love again? Does Moonbyul ever regret to have that feeling for Soojung?

The more Yongsun pays attention to Moonbyul, the more her curiosity grows. She can’t help but always wondering about Moonbyul and Soojung’s story.

Is it really ends after the accident? Or is it to be continued? Is there any chance Moonbyul reunited with Soojung again? Or… will they be stranger forever after that?

If only this is a novel, Yongsun can just jump to the last page to know who the lucky girl – or boy because it’s too early to close that options – that ended up with Moonbyul. But this is a real life story. People can’t skip the chapter even if they don’t like it. They should wait until the story continues… or ends.

“Unnie? Hello? Are you still there?”

Yongsun can see Hyejin’s hand waving in front of her face, but her reaction is a bit too late for that. She needs to blink for several times before she can meet the curious gaze from across the table. Yongsun knows she’s just making herself as the object of observation by Wheein and Hyejin.

“If you have a crush on her…”

“I should forget it?” Yongsun tries to fill the blank.

“Maybe we will help you,” Hyejin gives unexpected answer.

“I have a boyfriend,” that’s the first reaction Yongsun can give for that.

“Had. He’s your ex-boyfriend,” Wheein interjects. “You told us you’re breaking up with him yesterday.”

“But doesn’t mean…”

“You want to swing that way because your boyfriend slept with his ex that has similar face with you,” Wheein keeps cut Yongsun’s words. “We know.”

“And…”

“And after what happened between both of you, we’re certainly sure you won’t easily make up with him because you destroyed his place,” Hyejin adds. “You maybe even can’t face him in the near future without fearing he would sue you for what happened.”

“And…”

“And you think you don’t want to be in relationship in any time soon because of that. We get it too,” Wheein agrees. “But it also doesn’t mean you can’t have a crush on someone, right?” she smirks.

Yongsun can see Wheein is smirking. And she’s pretty sure Wheein learns that from Moonbyul.

“And if…”

“If it really what happened now, we don’t mind to help you,” Hyejin says. “But we also want to make sure you will keep your words. There’s no backup plan if you’re agree with us.”

“And is that a good revenge plan to your ex-boyfriend?” Wheein asks. “Despite you find your own happiness, he’ll think he isn’t that precious for you when he thought you swing that way.”

“And maybe he’ll think he’s just your escape plan,” Hyejin continues. “BAM!! Two birds with one stone plan!”

Yongsun starts to notice the two girls really focus on details story she told them. And what makes Yongsun feels a bit dumbfounded, these two girls keeps finishing her sentences. She has no chance to speak at all but they speak her mind. And it makes Yongsun curious what major they take at university. Could it be psychology? Since young Yongsun believes that major has reading mind as one of their subjects.

“So… what you really want to ask?” Wheein offers.

“What is your major at university? Psychology?”

Yongsun isn’t typical of person who can hold her tongue – or thoughts. She speaks her mind. Even – like what Wheein said – her face can’t lie. She expresses better than mostly people do. She can’t hide her feeling.

“No, our major is dancing. And yes, Soojung unnie is our Sunbae at University but she will graduate soon,” Wheein answers the other question that comes in Yongsun’s face. “For your first question, they never met after that dinner with Soojung unnie’s boyfriend.”

“Boyfriend?” Yongsun blinks in shocked.

Hyejin nods. “Soojung unnie only consider Moonbyul unnie as sister. No less no more.”

“But…”

“But Moonbyul unnie is a girl who likes girl. No big deal,” Wheein nods in agreement. “Doesn’t mean she should like someone who swings that way, right?”

Yongsun is taken aback by Wheein’s statement.

“And even Moonbyul unnie ever joked with us. She said she ever watched a video and it said, ‘you’re not completely gay if you never had a crush on straight girl’,” Hyejin says. And Yongsun is speechless. “We can’t tell if she’s really joking or she’s being bitter.”

“And why…? Is she…?” Yongsun doesn’t know how to speak her question.

“Soojung unnie found out about Moonbyul unnie’s feeling. I don’t know how or when. I still try to figure out since I know for sure Moonbyul unnie never confess. She will tell us if that happened,” Wheein still answers the unspoken question. “And it makes Soojung unnie feel guilty – to know Moonbyul’s feeling - especially after what happened between them. You know… the accident.”

“Of course Moonbyul unnie never blame her for that. It’s only on Soojung unnie’s mind and she never trusts us when we told her Moonbyul unnie never mad at her,” Hyejin adds. “Even Moonbyul unnie told us to invite Soojung unnie to come here, but her cousin always decline. She said she’s not ready to face Moonbyul unnie, but I think it’s more like… she doesn’t dare to face her guilt.”

“That is also the reason why we stop talking about her in front of Moonbyul unnie. We don’t want to open the old wound,” Wheein finishes. “Until Soojung unnie comes here in her own will, she’s forbidden topic in front of Moonbyul unnie. We’re the one who decided that.”

Yongsun can see how protective the two young girls in front of her toward Moonbyul. Maybe it also the reason why they want to know Yong

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter