Lyrical

Whole of a Half

Title: Lyrics

Prompt: When Dean catches you crying to a song

Genre: Fluff

Word Count: 1,401

It was a cool grey day. It was on the verge of spring but there were still a few weeks of cooler weather in Seoul until it was supposed to thaw. You were working from home this week as there were deadlines quickly creeping up on you and you didn’t want the distractions of the office. Plus, you always thought you worked better from home where you could be in your comfy clothes and make gallons of tea. More importantly and another bonus to you decision, your boyfriend, Dean, had also decided to work from home that week. Periodically, you would glance over at the open door to his office and smile at the computer screen glow. Just knowing he was there was comforting. Your desk was set up in the corner of the living room so you could look out the window at the clouds that scurried across the sky in various shades of grey. It was close to dinner time so you stretched and removed your large over-the-ear headphones that had been blasting music for the past hours. The world was suddenly filled with the sound of rain hitting the window panes and the soft rustle of leaves on the trees outside. You rolled your neck tiredly and approached Dean’s office.

All the lights were off except his desk lamp and the large monitors on his desk. You leaned in the doorway for a moment just admiring his form as he worked. He moved the mouse rapidly around the screen making edits and tweaking small things. Headphones were securely over his ears, but even so you could hear small, soft seconds of melody flowing through them. You smiled softly at him as he continued to concentrate, you could almost imagine the machinery in his brain turning at full capacity.

You slowly approached and gently wrapped your arms around his shoulders. You felt him jump as you touched him, but he quickly relaxed as he realized it was you.

“Hi,” you murmured.

He reached up to take off his headphones and placed his hand on you forearms where they overlapped in front of his neck. “Hi,” he whispered back. “How is work going?” he questioned.

“Still working,” you admitted. “You?”

“It’s getting there,” he said and you could hear the smile in his voice. “You can listen to it when it’s finished,” he promised.

“I can’t wait,” you said. “Are you hungry? It’s about dinner time.”

There was a pause as Dean considered your offer. “I could eat,” he said with a chuckle.

You smiled and pecked him on the cheek. “Okay. I’ll go make something.” You began to unwind you arms and before you could pull away fully, Dean caught your hand as he turned around in his office chair. He pulled you close so you were standing between his legs and he had his head resting on your chest as he wrapped his arms around your waist. You smiled even wider as one of your hands went to rest on his shoulder and the other ran idly through his hair. He sighed and nuzzled closer to you. He looked up at you with a small glint in his eye as he smiled widely at you. Your heart did a small backflip and sped up ever so slightly. He never ceased to make your heart beat faster or your breath to catch in your throat.

You took his face between your hands and bent down to press your lips to his. You felt him sigh against your lips and his eyes were hooded as you pulled away. “I’m going to go make dinner, so save your work, okay?” you murmured close to his lips.

He only nodded and watched you as you left his office.

-

After dinner you were idly washing dishes as Dean wiped the table. The radio was on in the background playing the recent hits softly. Although you weren’t super interested in the fast-moving industry other than what your boyfriend and his friends were doing, you had your groups that you kept up with. Ikon had just come out with their repackaged album and you had few complaints about their new title song, I’m Ok. You bobbed to the beat as you finished the dishes. You froze as Donghyuk’s voice came over the speaker and sang his line after BI’s rap part.

 I trembled because of the love that passed me by

If you ever see my tears, please just pretend you don’t see them

You didn’t know why but the lyric combined with the innated sadness in Donghyuk’s voice made tears spring to your eyes almost immediately. Without even realizing it, they had begun to spill down your face. You quickly dried your hands to wipe them away, but they hadn’t gone unnoticed by Dean.

He was immediately at your side gently turning your face towards him. His eyes filled with concern and you felt bad making his worry. You quickly scrubbed your fist across your face, wiping away the tears. You felt silly.

“What’s wrong?” Dean breathed at you as he took your elbows in his hands and slowly bought you closer to him. You were close enough that you could feel the heat radiating off of him.

You smiled up at him as you twisted so you could lay your head on his chest. His arms immediately circled you and you felt his warmth envelop you. “Do you ever hear one of those voices singing certain lyrics that just make you cry?” you murmured. His scent filled your nose and you could hear the steady thud of his heart in his chest against your ear.

He nodded and tightened his grip on you comfortingly. As you listened to his heart, you realized that you cried at a lot of songs, most of them had been his, but he had never been there to witness it. Of course, Dean had let you listen to the unfinished products of this songs. But he had always been away on promotional tours when you could actually listen to the finished, polished product. By the time, he had come back, you would have listened to the song so many times, it still gave you the feeling, but not the tears. You smiled at the thought. It was very different having him there to hold you through the process, and even though you felt silly for crying at a song, Dean didn’t even blink.

You looked up at him and admired his jawline, his smooth expanse of cheek, his soft eyelids. He glanced down at you and you smiled. Before you could stop yourself, the words were already out of your mouth. “I’m in love with you.”

It was the first time you had ever told Dean that. Both of you were the type of people to not say those words lightly, even in a passing sense. You were always careful to tell him how much you cared, but the word love had never come out. Both of you had had previous relationships that went too fast and hearts were broken in the end, so love was not something that either of you took lightly. Though you were both aware of how the other felt, the gravity of the words hung in the air.

Dean looked down at you with slightly widened eyes as his eyes took in your face. There was only a millisecond of hesitation before he pulled away to look at you. His arms were on your shoulders and yours on his waist as he looked down at you and you looked up at him. Time seemed to stand still as you smiled at him and his face broke out into a small smile in return. You could hear the rain outside and you thought you could still hear Dean’s heartbeat, but that might have been your own pulse raging in your own ears. “I’m in love with you, too,” Dean breathed almost inaudibly.

Dean engulfed you in his arms and the two of you were as close as humanly possible. His scent filled your nose and you closed your eyes as calm washed over you. Dean pressed you closer and he knew he never wanted to let you go. He wanted to stay just like this, forever. You smiled to yourself, all of this for some tears spilt over a lyric of a song.